1.8TSI and 2.0TSI engine failures

DGW

I have a 2008 2.0 tdi 0ctavia estate 4x4 6 speed , ex plod and very high milage it has gone down on one cylinder and grage stte cam shaft for valves wears and doesn't allow the inlet valve to close properly giving me the whoomph sound, supposedlya common fault, anyone else had this?

thyve had it 2 weeks now and still waiting for a price or reason

Got call from dealer who have now confirmed that the timing chain has slipped and tensioner was fully extended. Further damage caused to camshaft and oil pressure valve, etc (all of this from telephone conversation). Total cost of engine repair approx £2200...

The damage incurred is apparently consistent with a well known fault with these engines and corresponds with a technical bulletin issued by Skoda previously.

Skoda as a manufacturer is apparently not interested as the car is just over six years old and that is apparently where their goodwill runs out. The dealer has offered reduced labour costs and Skoda UK is apparently supporting discounted parts prices which brings the cost down to just under £1500.

Am I alone in thinking that a major engine failure should not be occurring on a six year old vehicle with a full annual dealer history and just 70k? This is certainly not scheduled maintenance and was clearly a ticking time bomb that Skoda have been well aware of and done nothing to rectify.

There is more than enough publicly available evidence to prove this and support a legal case to recover costs. The dealer appears to be trying to help but Skoda are attempting to wash their hands of the matter. I will speak to Skoda customer services again on Monday and if there is still no movement begin to put things in motion.

Thoughts from others who have been through this ridiculous experience would be appreciated.

I went through it with a Mk5 1.4Tsi Golf. Car was 5 Years old, 40k Miles.  I was second purchaser from new.  Opened a goodwill case with VW, offered nothing back - no help, not even reduced rates or parts.. Issued pre-action letters for a claim of negligence against VW UK and followed up twice in writing and more phonecalls.

My other option was to pursue the second hand dealer who sold it to me under consumer rights and implied terms but that felt a bit unfair, as clearly there was no evidence of the problem 12 months prior, when I bought the vehicle. The advice I got was that this would offer more probability of success.

In the end, I  gave up the task of recovering costs  and wore it myself.  It takes quite a bit of bandwidth not to mention tenacity to pursue these things and the outcome not guaranteed.

There are a few comments previously in this thread that show more success with Skoda than my VW UK experience but then again, the majority still seem to fall in the not interested camp with little or no support.

Of course it shouldn't be the case at all on a "maintenance free" part with no service schedule.  Clearly it is not up to engineering or endurance requirements.  Even more concerning when the consequences can be so severe and the problem has been around since the started using chains on Tsis.  My Golf was a 56 reg, so that is 10 years and it is still more or less the same fault. Hence why I had the chain and tensioner changed when I bought my used vRS and now, in order to keep such a vehicle, I view the chains as a maintenance item - even if VAG don't.

Edited by TheClient
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wowsers, just logged back on this thread... i had my tensioner go as listed a while back, engine was 1 month in warranty and thankfully tensioner was replaced under warranty. Two years on now and car runs fine although likes a drink of oil, to be honest my 2003 1.8t which i had from new is still going strong on 150k miles and mapped nicely after 6 months, wow i love that car. Working for Toyota i know a thing or two about recalls, all i can say is Skodas lack of admitting a problem is disgusting and many a loyal customer is being faced with huge bills. We as a family are on our third Skoda and both my dad and father in law are on two, Skoda need to get their act together on this issue. VW as well need to do more, although knowing some VW techs they are saying VAG are just keeping quiet on this issue

I wish anyone going through this well, i know i had many a sleepless night when my 10K car went pop and im a techie more than capable of stripping the engine

Good luck

Phil

After some higher than expected oil consumption my 59 plate Octavia II 4x4 has no compression in cyclinder 3 with 69,822 on the clock. Any advice? Owned from new and always main dealer serviced! Any help greatly appreciated with dealing with Skoda U.K. And dealers?

Can anyone advise as to whether I can check if an engine is a replacement or the original as fitted to the vehicle?

I have one of these engines which was consuming large quantities of oil and was returned for repair to the supplying dealer several months ago. I was informed that Skoda would be authorising a new replacement engine. The repair/replacement was delayed due to a number of factors and I have only recently taken the vehicle back. It has, however, just triggered the Low Oil Level light again and, on checking, the level is below the low mark. I don't want to jump in too soon but am extremely surprised that a new engine would consume so much oil in around 1000 miles.

Hence my concern that it may be the same engine. 

Can anyone advise as to whether I can check if an engine is a replacement or the original as fitted to the vehicle?

I have one of these engines which was consuming large quantities of oil and was returned for repair to the supplying dealer several months ago. I was informed that Skoda would be authorising a new replacement engine. The repair/replacement was delayed due to a number of factors and I have only recently taken the vehicle back. It has, however, just triggered the Low Oil Level light again and, on checking, the level is below the low mark. I don't want to jump in too soon but am extremely surprised that a new engine would consume so much oil in around 1000 miles.

Hence my concern that it may be the same engine. 

There are quite a few threads available on the use of replacement engine number, it seems if the engine is a manufacturer replacement, and they recover the old engine and destroy serial a new engine can take on the old serial....Not experienced the process myself.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/324108-replacement-engines-engine-numbers-v5-dvla-skoda-uk-what-happened/

You could look under the engine tray and under the top cover and have a good look round with a torch to see how new / clean everything is including how all seals look. Unless you made a mark on the old block it maybe hard to be certain.

If you've had to top up with oil perhaps a call back to dealer telling them of the usage and asking what was done in the repair? Hopefully, they may have under filled slightly and/or it is just using oil in the very early stages of bedding in. A call and note in your diary of any conversation may be worthwhile record.  

If you've had to top up with oil perhaps a call back to dealer telling them of the usage and asking what was done in the repair? Hopefully, they may have under filled slightly and/or it is just using oil in the very early stages of bedding in. A call and note in your diary of any conversation may be worthwhile record.  

I had had a cursory look under the bonnetl on delivery and didn't see anything bright and shiny. I also checked the oil level and it was up to the Max mark.

I've spoken to the Service Manager at the dealership since I last posted. He confirms that the engine was not replaced - contrary to what I had been informed would happen - but that all the internals had been replaced with new ones. The car is being returned again on Friday.

It's a very confusing situation because I really like the car but, of course, want it to be reliable. Fortunately I have maintained a fairly detailed log of events in case m'learned friends eventually being involved.

Thanks for your interest.

I had had a cursory look under the bonnetl on delivery and didn't see anything bright and shiny. I also checked the oil level and it was up to the Max mark.

I've spoken to the Service Manager at the dealership since I last posted. He confirms that the engine was not replaced - contrary to what I had been informed would happen - but that all the internals had been replaced with new ones. The car is being returned again on Friday.

It's a very confusing situation because I really like the car but, of course, want it to be reliable. Fortunately I have maintained a fairly detailed log of events in case m'learned friends eventually being involved.

Thanks for your interest.

Mmm. That is not sounding terribly positive then. I mean a "properly" re-built engine can still be a good option in my opinion. But using so much oil early on is not a re-assuring sign. Some usage maybe, but that much.....

It would also be "nice" if when you get you car repaired they could provide you with some documentation for what has been repaired and carried out instead of leaving you guessing. In your case they seem to have misled.  Which one is a consequence of the other is open for interpretation.!

Edited by TheClient

Posting this here as well as the main section.

Recently bought mine being fully aware of the potential oil consumption problems but bought it from a Skoda dealer with warranty included. Car had done 78,000 miles, one owner, water pump done under warranty in 2014. 

After the first 150 miles the oil low light came on. Surely not? Oh yes, it was using a litre of oil in about 300 miles. Oil consumption test done and confirmed too high.  

Although I had a warranty it was obviously covered by the sale of goods act as I had just bought it.

I could of had a refund but it's probably the best all round car I've had since a Lexus RX400h (although not perfect, what is?) and that includes a brand new Yeti which was ok but nothing special.

Pistons, rings and rods, but when the head was taken off it was covered in burnt oil so totally stripped and cleaned. They are also going to do the timing chain and tensioner.

Will be picking the car up today so hopefully everything is ok. In theory the engine should be good for tens of thousands of miles now the work has been done. If it's not in the next few months I can always get a refund.

Up to now the dealership has been excellent in every respect. Silbury Skoda, Cramlington, Northumberland.

Update!!

I have now collected the car and as expected everything is fine. I received a full itemised invoice even though the cost to me was zero. All the valves were removed and cleaned.

I will give it a couple of decent runs next week and check the oil level.

Sounds like a decent result. Mine too was about a litre on 300 miles! I'm hoping to get mine back with new engine soon.

Hi guys, I've 2009 Octy vRS LE and the timing chain has skipped timing, and has pretty much wrecked its self. But there's a receipt in my car for a rebuild at the end of last year. So I think I'm gonna have to get it rebuilt once again. Them 2.0 TSi engines aren't that strong. 10000 miles and it needs rebuilt again, not good!!

Hi guys, I've 2009 Octy vRS LE and the timing chain has skipped timing, and has pretty much wrecked its self. But there's a receipt in my car for a rebuild at the end of last year. So I think I'm gonna have to get it rebuilt once again. Them 2.0 TSi engines aren't that strong. 10000 miles and it needs rebuilt again, not good!!

I was under the impression the LE got the Tfsi engine with a belt?

I was under the impression the LE got the Tfsi engine with a belt?

Think it changed over from Belt to chain / TFSI to TSI in 2008 some time....

I'm sure they would've changed the tensioner 10,000 miles ago and not just the chain (and unfortunately the other blown up bits of your motor).. as the tensioner that is after all the usual cause of the skipping timing chain.

Maybe they didn't install the parts properly .... but hopefully you have some kind of warranty with the last install. Good luck.

Edited by stylo

I'm sure they would've changed the tensioner 10,000 miles ago and not just the chain (and unfortunately the other blown up bits of your motor).. as the tensioner that is after all the usual cause of the skipping timing chain.

Yes, as above. 10k miles sounds too little for even the vulnerable tensioner and a latest revision one at that. Was the tensioner replacement part itemised on the invoice?  What was the scope of the rebuild? Head off, valves and timing chain componentary?  Seems like possibly some other factor at play here.

I can officially be added to this list now.

My car is a 59 plate Octavia II FL vRS 2.0TSI with 66,000 miles on the clock.

It first showed symptoms of being sluggish on a short drive home, when i got back it struggled to start twice then wouldn't start on the third occasion (all three attempts on the driveway).

I spoke to several vw garages and they all said the first thing to do would be put on a new chain and tensioner and see if it has only slipped a tooth. I did this myself and it still wouldn't start so I sent it off to a garage to have the head off and all of the intake valves were bent and required replacement.

Its all back together now and running like it did before and the total cost was approximately £1500. Whilst this isn't something I would have wanted to pay for i feel the cost isn't as bad as it could have been.

Fingers crossed it all last now that it has all the revised parts fitted.

That sucks mate I'm sorry to hear it.

Where are you based? I found an engine reconditioning place that would supply and fit one near me in the Midlands for £1600 if you want the details?

Edited by King85