1.8TSI and 2.0TSI engine failures

DGW

Thanks very much for that useful information, TsvRS,

I wish the dealer had been open with me when I reported the increasingly worrisome noises.  If they'd explained that there was a known vulnerability of the lubrication system and admitted to the chain tensioner issue, I could have decided on what strategy/risk to take with my car.

Instead of that, they admitted nothing and insisted it sounded normal - even though I've had it since new and knew for a fact the noise was getting worse.

Still feel bitter about that experience, but this thread should at least help others to avoid the issues, and proper information like that you just posted is really helpful!

All the best.

A suggestion that may help some of you that are unlucky enough to suffer a knackered engine due to the tensioner failing (or any other route of engine failure for that matter). I fully understand why some of you wont see my viewpoint on this suggestion and I probably see the sense in it more due to always having been the type to tinker and tune my cars but there's a lot of worrying going on in here so thought it may be worth me playing devils advocate for a moment...

The main cause of the worry, understandably, appears to be the cost of getting the engine replaced once failed. As the majority of the cars are mainly out of warranty I just can't get my head around the owner then considering going to a dealer for a new recon engine and stumping up 6-7k for the privilege.... That option would not even occur to me as a viable option tbh.

There's so many low mileage 2 litre engines at tuners and on auction sites that I'd simply grab one for £800-£1000 and pay Shark (in my case) to do the necessary swap. There's been a few listed at £1200-1500 which go for £800-1000 as a best offer. There's a couple on a well known auction site currently with 12k and 15k on the clock that will go for around 1k and come with a 3 month warranty. So £1500 fitted instead of £6-7k surely makes a lot of sense, especially given the value of the slightly higher mileage cars that have suffered failure. Hell, there's even a couple of complete 300ps Golf R engines on there for 2k currently. ;)

So just wondering why people don't seem to consider this route really? :)

Exactly this....

The warranty on my 2010 plate VRS expires in 3 days. If the tensioner fails in that time it will go straight back to the main dealer that supplied it. If it fails after that it will go to my local indie. I'm currently weighing up whether I take a risk and just leave the tensioner or pay for a new one to be fitted. I'm leaning towards the latter given the year of my car though which seems to be prone to failure and justifying the cost as being what I would have paid on a cam belt/water pump replacement on most other cars.

My brothers A4 (same engine) suffered tensioner failure and the repair bill in the end was £1900 from an indie. I think I'd be inclined to repair the existing engine though (if possible) to be honest rather than spending £1500 on fitting an unknown engine off an auction site.

Exactly this....

I think I'd be inclined to repair the existing engine though (if possible) to be honest rather than spending £1500 on fitting an unknown engine off an auction site.

I'd look into that as a preferable method of repair also tbh but it depends what damage has been done I guess. There's no way id find an engine that's been as over serviced as mine (oil changes every 4k and spark plugs and fuel filter every 20k) for example. It'd also be a great opportunity for me to swap out the pistons and rods for the VRS two litre ones too! ;)

I'd look into that as a preferable method of repair also tbh but it depends what damage has been done I guess.

Too true. Many years ago my Alfa had a engine moment due to the cam belt followers disintegrating. A problem that became evident on the Twinspark motors. I was lucky as it only bent 9 valves so it was a head rebuild. The garage that repaired it had a Spider in previously, the head was a mess (valves nearly pushed right out!) and an engine swap was the only viable option for that one. Mine failed as I was pulling out at a junction on low revs, the spider was (I'm told) being driven at pace...

I want to add my self to this list 59plate octavia VRS 31k FSSH

timing chain fault resulting in new engine needed @£5000

could do with all the help I can get as its about time skoda/VAG held there hands up to this fault, I'm trying to find out how many people have had this problem, I will also try other forms with this engine.

I too should be on that list. 2010 vRS at 92,000 miles. Lubrication failure to camshaft without explanation from Skoda or Dealer. No help or goodwill in sorting in out either - quite the contrary in fact, they sat on their hands for months.

P.S. Just read this and needless to say my sympathy level was absolutely zero having experienced their support for customers. Wholly and fully deserved http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-34298259.

• 2 weeks later...

Another 1.8TSi engine needed

My car is a Superb 1.8TSi Elegance DSG. New in Sept 2009 with 13000 miles I bought in Dec 2010 and now has 67000 miles

Full Skoda service history. Prior to buying this Superb I had bought a brand new Octavia VRS DSG diesel in Jan 2010

About a year ago it started to use oil and now having had an oil consumption test carried out with my service last week it has been calculated that it is using 2.36 litres per 1000km (625 Miles)

The dealer says it needs a new engine  at £4800 but the 'matrix' they use to determine any goodwill payment shows none is available but suggest I ring Skoda UK.

Did this and told goodwill runs out at 60 months  but they will speak to the  dealer. 

Had a call back from the dealer as promised and they have now offered 30% goodwill off the price ( down to £3300 approx)

New engine would be a reconditioned one with the latest design of camchain tensioner

Does any one have any suggestions in how I can get them to increase this without reverting to legal processes 

Am I right in thinking that Sale of Goods Act would not apply as I am the second owner.

The garage have said that the coating of the cylinder or pistons is failing which I feel is an inherent design fault

If the vehicle is older than 60 months, would low mileage help with the goodwill offer?  I have a 1.8TSI that will be 5 yrs old this December, currently just over 8k miles.  I'm not sure whether to sell or pay for a replacement tensioner. 

Have any built towards the end of 2010 failed?

Thanks

If the vehicle is older than 60 months, would low mileage help with the goodwill offer?  I have a 1.8TSI that will be 5 yrs old this December, currently just over 8k miles.  I'm not sure whether to sell or pay for a replacement tensioner. 

Have any built towards the end of 2010 failed?

Thanks

They will consider  goodwill if the car is less than 6 years old and has a full Skoda dealer service history. Very doubtful they they will give anything if the tensioner has not yet failed

Well that's a kick in the balls skoda will not offer me any good will and because I brought private I can not pursue the manufacturer in this fault. Any one got a spare £5000 lying around for a new engine block gutted is a understatement.

Well that's a kick in the balls skoda will not offer me any good will and because I brought private I can not pursue the manufacturer in this fault. Any one got a spare £5000 lying around for a new engine block gutted is a understatement.

Been there and full sympathetic but I am not surprised any more. The last thing VAG can afford is for people to think they made faulty engines and didn't own up to it. That would be fraudulent. They wouldn't want people thinking they were systematically fraudulent. Would they? Even if they have already been caught for one thing they are still going to feign innocence.

I am still angry - it probably shows. I am inclined to raise this as soon as the current hubbub dies down just to twist the knife.

Contacted what car with your issue I have today, i emailed watchdog as well last week something needs to be done about it and the more people shout the better it is.

There was a technical bulletin which was circulated amongst skoda dealerships on 23rd Aug 2013 highlighting the exact fault we had with our vehicles.

Edited by charris

Been there and full sympathetic but I am not surprised any more. The last thing VAG can afford is for people to think they made faulty engines and didn't own up to it. That would be fraudulent. They wouldn't want people thinking they were systematically fraudulent. Would they? Even if they have already been caught for one thing they are still going to feign innocence.

I am still angry - it probably shows. I am inclined to raise this as soon as the current hubbub dies down just to twist the knife.

I would do it now whilst they're already in the media.

Well came back on here having received a useful postcard from Skoda telling me about their straightforward servicing as my 1.8TSi is due for its 6th (major) service (57k miles) and came on here to see if there was advice about going to an independent garage. I have looked on this thread before and decided it was unhealthy and decided that if I had this issue it would be covered by Skoda's goodwill. Well now my car is a month from being 6 years old I am starting to worry. In addition I am thinking with the current woes VAG are having with their dodgy software a bit of bad publicity about its engines failing will in the future being the least of their worries I would expect then to give up on good will on this kind of issue.  Now I have a dilemma, I like the car and am not ready to change it yet, but I do seem to be putting more and more oil in it (I might be wrong as she as always loved that Castrol Edge and has always seemed to use more than any car I have ever had). There is no noise apart from the injector clatter from the front of the engine but I am a little worried. I just did a quick check for a VAG Skoda Warranty and for £271 for 10K miles I can get full cover if I accept a £250 excess so I think that might seem like a way to put my mind at rest and if the worse happens the most it will cost me is £250. This of course will be on top of the £278 for Major Service and MOT and I suppose the £49 for a brake fluid change. What do you think, is £271 good value for peace of mind? 

• Like 1

I've just had my tensioner replaced for the latest part, 2010 Octavia VRS. I looked at my build date, and i had the second revision, however i've heard a clatter on startup twice, and thought i would just get this done for peace of mind as i plan on keeping the car (only bought it in August). I went to an independent VW place in Reading, the cost was £282 all in which i think is quite reasonable. They replaced the tensioner and seal that is in the cover plate. I did ask if they planned on replacing the side cover but it came off ok so was re-used and put back on with new sealant.

Car is now a little quieter now when running - never really noticed it was noisy though. 

All that was required was, there's no part numbers on the invoice so can't help you there, but all the stuff came from TPS as i have the box that the new tensioner came in.

Tensioner

Seal (crankshaft seal in engine casing)

Plug (no idea what that was for)
sealant

I assume the other parts you are referring to are the one time use bolts, and the outer casing. they've done a few of these before and as long as the casing is taken off carefully believe it is re-usable.

Whilst I have the deepest sympathy for those who have suffered this problem it is important to remember that the failure is not inevitable and not all cars will be affected.  I bought a Mk2 FL vRS in January 2014 with 36,000 miles on the clock and have just traded it in at 66,000 for a Mk3 vRS, so 30,000 in 20 months.  I didn't get the 'death rattle' at any point and although mindful of the problem it didn't stop me enjoying the car or cause me to lose sleep. 

Don't get me wrong, I am not playing down the situation but a balance needs to be struck and sensible measures (as shown in previous posts) taken to reduce the chances of it happening.

Agree Western Duke, and i wasn't planning on changing the tensioner either until i heard a rattle on startup once or twice within the space of 2 weeks. For the cost of the tensioner only being replaced, i would probably have budgeted this into the original purchase price of the car although not expecting the previous owner to allow for it in the sale price as it's a matter of choice to get it done or not. The old tensioner looked ok, however when the garage installed the new tensioner it did put more tension on the chain rail when it was released than the old one had, suggesting it was losing some of its "spring" force whilst the engine was not using oil pressure to pressurize the tensioner.

Whilst I have the deepest sympathy for those who have suffered this problem it is important to remember that the failure is not inevitable and not all cars will be affected.  I bought a Mk2 FL vRS in January 2014 with 36,000 miles on the clock and have just traded it in at 66,000 for a Mk3 vRS, so 30,000 in 20 months.  I didn't get the 'death rattle' at any point and although mindful of the problem it didn't stop me enjoying the car or cause me to lose sleep. 

Don't get me wrong, I am not playing down the situation but a balance needs to be struck and sensible measures (as shown in previous posts) taken to reduce the chances of it happening.

That is of course very true. Of the 100s of 1000s of this design of engine how many have actually failed? We may never know as VW will not be sharing that information with us, but this point has been made before that people don't often post on forums about how well their engine is running and only seek out forums when they have a problem.  It is a real problem and I am worried about my 1.8TSi having read this post but how much I need to worry I don't know.  I guess only time will tell......

Hopefully you will get some pre-warning such as a rattle on startup beforehand, which you could then remedy as I did. However i know the earlier models of the engine had the first tensioner that perhaps gave no symptoms at all until it failed causing the major engine damage, so guess it really is a "take a chance" or preventative maintenance option.If you can afford the £300 or so for a replacement tensioner, i would personally bite the bullet. A cam belt change would not differ massively cost wise, and i don't think anyone would take a chance on one of them, however it really depends how much you value the peace of mind vs the cost - and as has been said, the real chance of anything ever going wrong.