Brand snobbery or is it just me

Hairball

I think Audi and VW Dealerships expect you to have done your homework, tell them the model, spec and colour you want, give them the money and say goodbye... :happy:

From my experience the whole motor trade is a mine field. Some dealers are good and some are downright awful regardless of the make but clearly there are some marques and dealers that clearly abide by the class system.

I used to be happy with Ford dealers in the local area up until about 6 years ago when they must have thought I had the IQ of a retarded plant pot (they may have been right) following a service and MOT bill. I also received poor service when I was looking at a new Ford some time later. Over the last few years I have received reasonable service from both Seat and Skoda but Skoda pips them to the post on better sales.

I'm trying not to think of my experience with the four rings dealership again or I'm likely to have a tiny tantrum.

That would be foolish of them.

If you'd done your homework, you would have bought a Skoda.

and the money goes in the same pot....... :happy:

This is about training, nothing more, nothing less. I am fed up of businesses crying poverty.....doom bloody doom...everyday.... TV, newspapers. blah blah blah.. There are people out there who can/want to spend money.. Train your f**king staff to sell cars you bunch of idiots.

I agree wholeheartedly but I also think there is another factor at play here. I have been to many dealers over the years and generally the level of service has been less than I expected but I have also returned to some dealers afdter a period of time and found excellent service. I suspect that there is a travelling group of so called "sales excetutives" who last a short while at many dealerships before being outed, at which point they transfering their talents to another unsuspecting dealer. It levels out over a period but one example of poor service takes a very long time to recover. Reputation is all, whichever sort it is!

Fred

It's definately not just a 'brand' thing, it'll be all of the other bits thrown in together, like the dealership itself, sales manager; if his an 4rse then generally the salesman will follow suit. From the ground floor up how many people are watching over each individual and how many salesman are competing against one another.

Yes, training comes in to it, but this can also go 2 ways. Let's say you get a newbie (never sold cars in his life) and he goes on a training exercise, it will be drummed in to him until he's like a robot - break the pattern of conversation and his buggered.

On the other side is someone who has done there bit, already knows how to interact but just wants to pick up on 'handy' tips. This will probably be the more approachable (not always) type as you can talk to them like a person. Yes, a lot of salesman are jumped up little ***** but then, no matter how much training they will always be pillocks.

• Like 2

Nope. I'd rather have the Skoda. Better experience with the cars and with the dealers.

Where this falls down is it depends on the people at the dealership.

I always got treated a lot better at the local VW dealership than i ever have at the local Skoda garage.

A decade back and forth to the same VW dealership with never an issue and excellent, if a bit pricey, service.

They've never quibbled on warranty work and when the retractable parcel shelf broke on our touran they replaced it at no cost even though it was, just, out of warranty.

The local Skoda dealer, especially the sales guys, get right up my trumpet if i'm honest.

They don't know their product and they don't seem to be able to talk to me without making me feel like they don't want me there.

The vehicles of both brands have been, ultimately, just as good in terms of reliability.

The problem that VW dealer has is it doesn't sell a Yeti and the Tiguan isn't, IMHO, as good a product

If VW ever bring to market something as good as the Yeti on a VW badge i'd move purely based on the dealer.

I know i'm going to be in the market for a new car in about 6 months time (order wise) and i know the local skoda dealer won't be getting the sale.

The problem i have is that there are no others locally and i wouldn't want to deal with them for service and warranty items either.

Having dealings with "Beautiful People" at a local "prestigious" German dealership it seems they regard themselves as the custodians of the marque.If they want you to join their exclusive club then they will play ball and allow you to spend (a lot of money)with them to enjoy the ultimate driving experience.The issue seems to be that as time goes on the club becomes less exclusive!

In reality they are merely selling a product from a franchise , the only difference between the sexy metal and a McDonalds is that you would look a tool wearing a Boss suit flipping burgers!

i know you can't generalise but....

For those who are sensitive to brand image I always like to remind them of an example of Hugo Boss expert tailoring and sense of style- They did the SS officer's uniform

• Like 1

The bit that annoys me is the ones that see your well dress and don't leave you alone, but treat you like low life if you wear a work shirt or shorts on a hot day.

Though I can't help but laugh at the ones in there pin stripe skin tight trousers over size belt buckle, more aftershave than a fragrance store and hair slicked back with more gel than could ever possibly be healthy. Do they know what they look like. :)

• Like 1

I once read that one of the few true dress markers that indicate wealth and perhaps 'class' is your watch and your shoes.

So get yourself a fake Rolex and some decent leather soled shoes.....I've often thought about doing this experiment.

I'm afraid a fake Rolex will usually only fool some of the people. To do it properly a real Rolex and decent shoes-not just leather soles- would be necessary. Ironically it can be the most economical too, I have two Savile Row suits which date back to a period more than 10 years ago when I suffered delusions of solvency which are still in daily (winter) use.

I binned all but one suit on retirement. I have never had any really good shoes eg Churches but I do have a really good watch to two. I will have to rely on that when I go into the Audi dealers for a bit of sport!

• Like 1

...more aftershave than a fragrance store and hair slicked back with more gel than could ever possibly be healthy. Do they know what they look like. :)

Yup, that overwhelming scent of pseudo exotic effluvium and the spent sump oil slick back dyed wig also make me laugh.

• Like 1

I once read that one of the few true dress markers that indicate wealth and perhaps 'class' is your watch and your shoes.

So get yourself a fake Rolex and some decent leather soled shoes.....I've often thought about doing this experiment.

I went into a BMW dealership in Carlisle wearing black Loakes shoes and a Rado Ceramica watch, £150 shoes and £1,200 watch (I love a good pair of shoes and a good watch, I feel indestructable) and they wouldn't entertain me for a 6 Series brochure. Probably because I was wearing a Carlsberg polo shirt. The receptionist was pleasant with me and we had a chin wag but the salesmen were too busy with there coffees.

Though I'm sure many could only pick out Fred Perry, Tommy Hilfiger, Burberry, etc... (not that there bad, but it's probably the peak of what they know when it comes to class).

Whilst working at Millets when I was younger the people who looked like they had money and indeed did have money were the ones who didn't want to spend it. The one who did was the one who came in the store in jeans with wife and four children who all wanted to go camping for the first time and of which the father just wanted a quiet life. The trick is not to fleece them, and they will come back. You rip them off not only will they bring it back but your name will be mud forever.

• Like 4

When I left school (many years ago), one of my first jobs was in the local Vauxhall garage. The boss quite soon offered me a chance to "train" as a car salesman (I wonder what he saw in me? :-).

The sales manager was one of those types who would smarm up to a potential customer and talk the hind legs off a donkey and consequently, I got what was left. I remember one day in particular when an elderly gentleman, obviously straight from work and still in his dungarees came into the showroom and the manager said, "You can have him", while he wandered off to irritate a well dressed couple on the other side of the showroom. I walked up to the old gentleman and asked if I could help. "Yes", he replied, "I'd like a new car please." I looked him over and said, "No problem, the second hand cars are out the back." "No, I know what I want - I want that one", he said, pointing to a brand new "Droop snoot" Firenza (this'll date me for anyone who knows!) in pride of place in the showroom. I told him the price (as if he coundn't see - it was in bold stickers on the windscreen!) and he didn't bat an eyelid. I went through the sale, explaining the car to him, but all he knew is he wanted it. In the end, I said to him, "OK Sir, would you like to come into the office and we can arrange terms?" He looked at me, stuck his hand inside his overalls, pulled out the biggest wad of cash I've ever seen in my life and said, "I don't believe in that - will this do?"

Needless to say, we got the sale and for at least a few days, I felt able to mutter under my breath, "Up yours!" to the sales manager (not when he was near though!)

• Like 1

Where this falls down is it depends on the people at the dealership.

I always got treated a lot better at the local VW dealership than i ever have at the local Skoda garage.

Yup - opposite is true for me, there's a lot of variability. The three VW dealers I've been in have all been disinterested. If I was basing things solely on dealers, I'd be looking at Lotus, Subaru, Skoda, Jaguar and Mercedes, and I'd never own a BMW, Toyota, VW, Volvo or Ford.

Anyone ever been to Mercedes World in Brooklands? If you just want to look at cars, get in and out a lot of them and prod poke and play with everything, that place is amazing. Everything up to AMG S-class is unlocked, but the Maybachs and Maclaren SLRs are locked. And in the case of the former that's a good thing! There is a dealership attached but they never bother you at all. Who knows what the sales experience is like if you want to buy, but on the whole it really is a pleasant few hours going there. They also always have a smatering of some decent classic Mercs and decent food too with a deck overlooking the race track below.

In my experience it seems to be down to the individual dealer more than the badge?

Sales man at sparshatts of botley couldnt be arsed to give me a second look.... sparshatts in farham were much better (maybe just had an off day??)

My wife recently had the urge to look at a Kia cee'd, went to the local dealer... which is about 200 yards from our house. Couldnt have been worse.. honestly you would think we were asking to test drive a saleen super car.

Salesman was rude to my wife, she was asking questions about oil consumption, service intervals, parts wear (my missus has a good mechanical head on her shoulders for the most part) the sales man seemed to think she was joking and palmed her off with an attitute that smacked of "shh love, men are talking" lol

So she said a few choice words and we moved on... seriously a kia dealer, really?

long story short next car on her list was a suzuki swift, went to sparshats skoda in botley (yup the same i had problems with) as they also sell suzuki's saleman was spot on... deal done.

But then on the flip side went to lyndhurst 2-3 months ago with my 4 year old nethew, he caught the slightest glimpse of the ferrari dealer and was off. Honestly i dunno if sales were slow of if the sales guys had just got a pay rise but they were epic.

I didnt bull**** them we walked in and i explained to the first guy i met that as much as i would love one there out of my price range but the little lad had pulled me in.

We had a luagh and the saleman was joined by another who led us towards a ferrari 458 and let the nethew basically climb all over it lol (granted he was clean and didnt try to stand on the seats etc).

I took a few pics of him behind the wheel and we were done.... on the way out one of the guys poped up with a ferrari baloon and a hat for the nipper. Top man! :)

• Like 1

Back in the 1980s the ex FIL was a market gardener. A stereotype Dutchman who usualy wore clgs (Good things, keep the feet warm and dry) He went to the local Merc dealer for a new car nd was treated like something the cat had dragged in.

Off he went to another dealer, bought a car, paid in cash, and while there ordere d several new trucks.

He then went back to the original garage, demanded o see the owner and showed him the receipts, pointing out that his salesmen had an attitude problem. Result, a new sales team.

BTW prior to deciding on Skoddy I met the same attitude at the local Lexus, Audi and Merc dealers.

Anyone ever been to Mercedes World in Brooklands?

Yup visited Merc world on a couple of occasions. Really great place to potter around for a few hours, see the cars on show (new and old) and observe the loons tearing around the racetrack. Best of all it's all FREE :rofl: If you buy a car from them you get treated to a full presentation / unvailing within the showroom in front of the public.

Not really a Merc fan but I have to congratulate them on this whole complex and marketing strategy. Young children can even get to drive an A Class on part of the original Brooklands circuit with a qualified instructor (This is not free)

Sales man at sparshatts of botley couldnt be arsed to give me a second look.... sparshatts in farham were much better (maybe just had an off day??)

Bought our Yeti from the Fareham branch. I have to admit we put the salesman through the mill.as my wife couldn't make up her mind. Took us about a month to decide and we lost a good deal on a Demonstrator. Eventually struck a deal on the 1.2SE+ showroom model in Muscovado But nearly went for a Roomster Scout instead. (Glad to say we made the correct choice) Suffice to say the salesman remained professional and cordial throughout even though underneath he must have been thinking 'When will these time wasters p### off'

Not had too many really bad experiences with dealers but there have been a few cringeworthy salesman along the way.

Edited by BigV
  • Like 1