Disappointed

I got my Octavia and last 3 skoda's because they where a lot of car for the money. As always said its my posh cheap car. 2 years a go I paid £15k for my 1.6tdi elegance with extras. The same car today for a mk3 £21.5k. Sorry skoda but I will be looking else where I cannot cope with that cost increase.

Are you comparing new list price with what you paid last time or taking account of the FACT you can already get a decent discount?

Are you comparing new list price with what you paid last time or taking account of the FACT you can already get a decent discount?

Even with a discount it's still going to be 20k with 5k more than last one. I can spec an A3 how I want and get it for £21k so that seems a much better buy. And really wasn't the impressed with the new Octavia was expecting better.

Even with a discount it's still going to be 20k with 5k more than last one. I can spec an A3 how I want and get it for £21k so that seems a much better buy. And really wasn't the impressed with the new Octavia was expecting better.

1.6cr eleg with metallic and same level of discount as mine would be £19k and that comes with £5k of extras over MkII eleg so in my book thats £1k less than your last one! :think:

The estate looks very nice compared to the saloon.

Disappointed to see that the estate seems to have lost the covered storage panels at each side of the boot; the storage space is still there but there's no panel, just a plastic divider like in the hatchback. More cost cutting? Shame if it is.

Sarge.

I would agree with Kevberlin's assessment.

I sat in a Elegence spec hatch, and I liked it, nowt garish or tacky or eyecatching, and I got the impression it would age gracefully.

My kinda car.

PS

The lovely "soft-touch" finish to the button panel inset, for electric windows etc, in the drivers door of the 1998 Galaxy rapidly became grubby, then de-laminated, it would have been better in Toyota spec hard plastic.

• Like 1

I've oredered my estate, even though I've never seen one in the flesh. Gulp.

I don't think its a big risk given the great reviews its had.

Its just whether you will love the looks or not.

Hopefully you will :)

The main reason for Skoda having low prices was to buy back a reputation. Now that more and more people understand this, and are shifting from VW or even audi then vag undeniably are going to reset their brand prices accordingly in line with demand. The days of bargain vag products are probably on their way out.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I've ordered with a hand on my wallet, its not got a huge list of options like some on here seem to spec.

I used to have a VRs (and before that a yellow Leon Cupra- both cracking cars) and loved the performance, but I only do 6k miles a year now and my driving habits since children arrived have changed. i go to work in my mx5 and the wife gets main use of the family car.

So I ordered an estate with:

race blue (always loved on the VRs and looked good on MkIII in showroom),

1.2tsi (a nod to low road tax and some economy, plus a friends low mileage diesel leon is forever clogging up, I'm worried I'll find it too slow tho!)

se (I'll need parking sensors on something so big)

17"alloys (because I'm vain)

front arm rest (cos the Mrs liked it in the showroom and on our old VRs)

steel spare (I must get a puncture every 2 years - always on new tryres too damn it)

I could have gone on, would love fancy lights, would love a VRs, wife wanted panoramic roof and silver roof rails, but have to control things a little

Edited by jonnymick
  • Like 1

I haven't driven it yet but I was very disappointed with it when I first seen it in the showroom. Yet again Ireland is getting short changed on standard spec. The standard cloth upholstery in the Elegance model over here is a big let down and the leather/alcantara option is nearly €1800!!!!!

You would have to ask how many people would buy skodas if they were no longer relatively cheap. I doubt anyone would have bout a fabia mk2 vrs if it wasn't cheap!

I would have as at the time the Octavia was the only one available as a sporty estate unlike the Golf, Leon, Astra Focus etc. and I wouldn't say mine was great value for money but it's a very practical estate. I'd consider the Fabia VRS for the same reason as it comes in estate form and similar for the Octavia hatch, its huge boot is far more practical than most (all?) in its class.

John

Not very impressed with one i looked,it didn,t have the "wow" thats nice feeling at all.To me its just a big Rapid,both were side by side on there forecourt and both were boring Silver which didn,t help either.I might be more convinced with a 2nd look at a different colour Octavia as it looked so bland in Silver.After i sat in it i thought yes its more modern but didn,t appeal to me really.When i was back in mine it felt better for some strange reason as the MK2 has more character about it.Sorry the MK3 is just to plain for me at the moment and has lost its character :(

I must say, I really like the new car!! But I do have a few things I'm disappointed about, these being the cost of the extras!

I have ordered a standard spec 1.6Tdi manual in Elegance spec, I have coughed up for Metallic race blue paint, (£495) & Chrome window surrounds (£125).

I would have liked the xenon front light package (£1050) & the Led rears (£150), also the winter pack (£430), but they would push my payments way over my limit!!

I am as I said, a fan of the new car, & the end of May can't come soon enough!!

• Like 3

I must say, I really like the new car!! But I do have a few things I'm disappointed about, these being the cost of the extras!

I have ordered a standard spec 1.6Tdi manual in Elegance spec, I have coughed up for Metallic race blue paint, (£495) & Chrome window surrounds (£125).

I would have liked the xenon front light package (£1050) & the Led rears (£150), also the winter pack (£430), but they would push my payments way over my limit!!

You're spec is like my 1.4 except I've gone for full leather and no chrome :) I remember lots of similar disparaging comments when the mk2 was face lifted now it's characterful!

Xenons always strike me as a very expensive option for what you get.

The rest are fairly standard pricing though.

• Like 1

vRS = Ambiente with a body kit and bigger engine.

Classic < Ambiente < Elegance < L&K

I would say that was the case for MkI vRS but MkII FL vRS has most if not all of the standard Elegance spec plus the vRS bits so imo sits above the Eleg but if you want pure luxury the L&K is still the range topper! :think:

to be fair Metallic Paint and Xenons are optional extra's on every standard spec car. LED read lights and the stuff on the winter pack are only avaiable on a very few standard cars.

Need to compare apples with apples