DIY Lower Grille

33q

Many thanks for posting this extremely useful guide! I can at last think seriously about using that mesh I bought ages back.

Regarding the aluminium angle, B&Q list the following in 10mm x 10mm - I couldn't find any 9mm on their web site:

- 1000mm anodised

- 1000mm raw

- 2000mm anodised

- 2000mm raw

Are any of them right for this project? (I'd guess that raw would be adequate. no need for anodised.) Any idea whether 1m would be enough? (Although it's only a couple of quid at the end of the day, and I'm sure any left over would come in useful for something else another time. My garage is chock full of material like that...)

One thing you could clarify for me is exactly how the angle fits in to the edge trim. As I read your photo, the 'leg' of the angle that doesn't go under the edge trim projects inwards, and in doing so provides a convenient ledge for the tool clip to butt up against. Is that right?

I'm sure the sides are 9mm by 9mm angle. Mine was a metre length times 2 . Just tried to find a scrap but I must have put it somewhere safe!

10mm is fine.....It was £1.84 per length....just says ALUM ANGLE on receipt...no code or anything.

and raw is fine....it's painted ....and hidden.

.....and yes....one side of the angle is pushed inside of the edge trim and the other side does provide a ledge for the clip....and the clip retaining screw goes into the aluminium.

Nigel

Well, thanks to EeebygumBay and Byonkew I now have all the materials necessary to have a go at replicating Nigel's minor miracle. (The excess tool clips will come in handy in the shed, reducing the risk of being clouted on the bonce by falling rakes, hoes and similar horticultural toolmongery.) If the wind dies down enough over the weekend I might even be able to hold a piece of cardboard in place in the front of the car long enough to make a template.

For anyone wondering where to get suitable mesh, I bought mine from this listing on eBay. The seller does loads of different styles so even if you don't like that one you'll likely be able to find one you do like. Shipping was pretty prompt.

Now then, where did I put my tin snips...

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi,  for the lower grill on my Yeti, I used 'Rolson' Plastic gutter mesh, it's the correct hight for the lower grill, I just had to trim the edges for the length, push it though the one of the grill holes spred it out behind the grill with long nose pliers, then used

the smallest black cable ties, you have to bend them to come back on them selves, tighten them up and and push the little

fastner round towards the back of the grill rib so you dont't see the fastner. job done,

The other day I found a stone in the mesh so it works, the mesh is very strong and looks great, you just don't see the black cable tie's make sure the tie's are at the far ends.

Look on Amazon for the mesh.

Hi CHILLEY  :hi:

WOW I have some of that stuff already! I was going to go down the Metal Mesh route but this may be even easier. Could we please have some pictures to see how it looks when finished..................Tony

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Sorry I have not back to you all, regards the 'Gutter Mesh' for the lower yeti grill, I am unable to put photo's on this site. all I can say it so simple to do

looks great, I used 4 cable ties, you can use as meny as you like, I only fiited them to the horizontal bars. I also made a little tool with an 'L' shaped end

to it so I could pull the mesh towards the bars, then bend the small thin black cable ties into a letter 'U' so they come back out a gain to fasten.
:angel: :angel:

• Like 1

I've had the kit for several weeks (a roll of mesh and a packet of black ties at £1 each from - wait for it - the Pound Shop) but free time and a weather window haven't coincided yet.  Anyone else in the game? :happy:

• Like 1

I haven't got my hands on my Yeti yet but I have the mesh and as soon as I know which length of cable ties I need I'll get them as well.

Should get the car tomorrow so I could be trying this out at the weekend if I get everything else done that needs doing (mud flaps, stubby aerial, accent trim (interior and exterior) Briskoda sticker, etc.).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've just finished installing the Rolson gutter mesh behind my lower grill. I used 2.5mm x 100mm cable ties on the vertical slats but had to go up to 3.5mm x 140mm for the horizontal slats.

Quite happy with the results (especially for the price) and happy that the air con radiator has some extra protection now. 

• Like 2

I would attach a picture but I can't seem to work out how. I've tried selecting a .JPG file using the "More Reply Options" screen but when I click on "attach file" file my computer just locks up "waiting for Briskoda.net" and then returns an empty box where the selected file should be. I've checked out the youtube video and can't see what I'm doing wrong. :(

Neil

I found the easiest way was through Photo Bucket, if you put Photo Bucket into the Briskoda search there is a detailed description how to do it.

I managed and I'm not exactly up to date with technology.

No template, just a quick measurement and cut about 730mm off the mesh roll. Having fed it through the lower grille I used long nose pliers, as per CHILLEY's instructions, to position the mesh and then thin garden wire to hold in place.

This is easy to fold to form the U shape which can then be fed through the mesh and wrapped around the grille whilst you perform the trickiest part of the whole operation, feeding through the cable ties. I probably overdid the cable ties using eight on the vertical slats and another four on the horizontal slats.

Once the cable ties are in place they can be trimmed and the temporary garden wire snipped and removed. The whole process should only take 30-45 minutes depending on how cold your fingers get and how much patience/skill/luck you have with the cable ties! 

• Like 1