Waste of Time?

BigV

Just taken my wifes 1.2 SE plus for its 1k check up. Thought this was an official Skoda servicing requirement but turns out it's just a courtesy service offered by our supplying dealer, Sparshatts of Fareham. Anyway got up early this morning to drive the 20 miles there, dropped off the keys and was out again 20 mins later. Don't suppose they did anything that I wouldn't do myself on a regular check.

If anyone's interested, they have a very nice L& K 170 in black for sale in the showroom. Only £27k.

It's 5000km here for the same free check up - considering an oil/filter change then anyway after the "running in" period

I seem to remember a 1k service used to be a regular requirement when buying a new car many moons ago (Never could afford a new car back then so not sure on this) I was somewhat surprised as I havn't had this on any other new vehicle recently, apart from my motorbike. 5k sounds more realistic.

Marie K. If you truly love your Yeti, you'd do the 1k round trip. It's a 1k service after all :giggle:

• Like 1

There doesn't appear to be any official requirement by Skoda for the dealer to see the car before it's first service. Sounds like the dealer sees a potential way of getting you in and perhaps spending some money on a few extras.

• Like 1

Great service, why knock it?

A lot of folk never check oil/ water levels, tyre pressures etc.

10 out of 10 to your dealer for doing this

Regards all

Juan

Sent from my iPhone using my thumbs

• Like 1

I seem to remember a 1k service used to be a regular requirement when buying a new car many moons ago (Never could afford a new car back then so not sure on this) I was somewhat surprised as I havn't had this on any other new vehicle recently, apart from my motorbike. 5k sounds more realistic.

Marie K. If you truly love your Yeti, you'd do the 1k round trip. It's a 1k service after all :giggle:

Yes, back in the swinging sixties when I started my apprenticeship in a Rootes Group dealership, the first service after initial sale was at 500 miles. Mind you, the pre delivery inspection usually consisted of a partial rebuild! Things have moved on a little since then, thank the lord, and with modern oils and higher build standards servicing intervals have extended. I still like to get mine checked once a year though :yes:

For the relatively small cost, an early oil change, post running in, wont do any damage! The dealer wont offer this as part of the free checkup though.

1k check up hmmm.

My dealer is 500 miles away, so I would have to drive home then about turn and go back for this.

I think I will give it a miss :giggle:

Could be worse!

If it was every 1k miles it would be like Groundhog Day meets The Magic Rounabout :giggle:

• Like 1

Great service, why knock it?

A lot of folk never check oil/ water levels, tyre pressures etc.

10 out of 10 to your dealer for doing this

Regards all

Juan

Sent from my iPhone using my thumbs

Apologies if I gave the impression I was knocking the dealer. Sparshatts have been a very good dealer to do buisiness with to date. I was given the impression the service was part of the official Skoda maintenance schedule It's good to have piece of mind and SWMBO was very insistent on having it done (It's basically her car anyway). I think in days gone by the 1K service would have included an oil and filter change, this was not part of the check today.

• Like 1

Just taken my wifes 1.2 SE plus for its 1k check up. Thought this was an official Skoda servicing requirement but turns out it's just a courtesy service offered by our supplying dealer, Sparshatts of Fareham. Anyway got up early this morning to drive the 20 miles there, dropped off the keys and was out again 20 mins later. Don't suppose they did anything that I wouldn't do myself on a regular check.

If anyone's interested, they have a very nice L& K 170 in black for sale in the showroom. Only £27k.

Kitten and I got our Yeti from Sparshatts in Fareham, and found the service VERY good.

Don't remember being offered a 1k check-up though. :think:

Who did you deal with BigV??

Our salesman was a friendly young chap called Steve.

Hands up all of those who remember the sticker in the rear window of all new cars saying - "Running in Please Pass".

In those days you had to keep the speed restricted for the first 500 (?) miles, until the engine was "run in".

I remember my Dad used to leave his in so everyone thought it was always a new car - back in the days before reg number year letters.

• Like 3

Hands up all of those who remember the sticker in the rear window of all new cars saying - "Running in Please Pass".

In those days you had to keep the speed restricted for the first 500 (?) miles, until the engine was "run in".

Back in 1960 I put a rebuilt engine in my 1936 Austin 7 then we went on holiday to Cornwall from Croydon. Running in in the 7 was limited to 30mph - you should have seen the queues behind us ---!

I remember my Dad used to leave his in so everyone thought it was always a new car - back in the days before reg number year letters.

I thought that this sign applied to Police 'Black Marias' - now those two words are a real test of your age!

Kitten and I got our Yeti from Sparshatts in Fareham, and found the service VERY good.

Don't remember being offered a 1k check-up though. :think:

Who did you deal with BigV??

Our salesman was a friendly young chap called Steve.

I dealt with a young salesman called Joe. He remained very patient and professional despite us taking around 6 weeks to do a deal. We got the 3 years free servicing package so we'll be taking it back at regular intervals.