Price estimate for the mk3 vRS...

Today's Auto Express states that they expect the new Octavia vRS to cost £21,500.

It got me thinking, how accurate is this?

Whilst by no means perfect, I estimate it to be £23895.

How?

The mk2 pre-fl elegance hatch was £17275 OTR, for a 2.0l tdi. The same spec mk3 is £21990, an increase of 27.3%

The mk2 pre-fl vrs hatch was £18770 OTR, also 2.0L TDI. Add 27.3% to that and...voila!

Another way to calculate is that the vrs was 8.65% more expensive that the elegance model (as outlined above), thus making the new vRS £23892.

Sad? I am.

The mk2 pre-fl elegance hatch was £17275 OTR, for a 2.0l tdi. The same spec mk3 is £21990, an increase of 27.3%

Sorry, your figures don't add up. The Mk2 Elegence is no where near the same spec as a Mk3 Elegence. It's comparing Apples and Pears. The Mk2 Elegence is nearer a Mk3 SE.

The Mk3 Elegence is better specced that the Mk2 L&K.

• Like 1

What's probably a more valid comparison is to look at the £££ difference between a mk2 CR140 elegance and the CR170 VRS then add that to a CR150 mk3 elegance.

Of course they could base the VRS on a mid-spec car like they did with the Mk1 which would keep the price down.

That's a good bit of calculated guesswork :) Out of pure guesswork, the figure in my mind was £23k, which I feel is too expensive unless the standard gizmos are ones I wanted and worth around £2000.

But, seeing the Autocar £21.5k estimate (assuming they've got a reliable source) is positive. Likewise, I'd go for that with carefully selected added extras. I wouldn't pay close to £24k for the new Octavia.

Worth remembering the Mk7 Golf GTi is priced at £25,285 though. Surely the Octavia has to be considerably less than that?

Skoda's place in the group is to provide a better value option, if the Octavia & Golf hot hatches are priced out for too many people, they'll shift over to another brand.

Looking at the Golf's price Skoda will knock no more than £3,000 off it. They won't see the business case for making it TOO cheap when they CAN sell it for more.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

pure guess, but I think the Vrs will be about £2k less than the GTi

equipment levels on par with the SE, but with added sport / performance items

The new SEAT Leon will also have a Hot sporty Estate version. which may include the new Cupra 260ps engine

I had a look at the SEAT hatch and it is a nice car, so the Vrs will have to be good (better) or it will loose sales to the SEAT

• Like 1

Well the GTi performance pack gave the Focus ST a fair pounding in Autocar this week, 4.5 stars and they said its possibly the best GTi thats ever been.

I think there will be a fair price difference between a vRS and non performance pack GTi spec for spec and hopefully SUK see sense and quickly start to to offer decent discounts on them which will further the gap.

I think i'll probably yearn for a performance pack Golf though despite the higher price and poorer practicality.

Autocar also tested the non performance pack GTi this week. Seems that off the track in the real world the Performance Pack doesn't add much. It remains a very quick car. so now the question is how much of this transfers to the vrs.

• 2 weeks later...

Whilst this is the case and not a huge problem, I just hope they still price the vRS so that it represents good value.

Agreed. Ive never been after a 'cheap' car, just one that offers 'good value for money'. A lot of people seem to use those phrases interchangeably!
  • Like 1

As someone who has recently joined the Skoda brand with a new Blackline, I could see myself buying a Mk3 VRS if the discounted sales price is up to high teen thousands. Over £20k and I will be out the game.

It'll be about £23k I reckon. Would be interesting to see what the GMFV via a PCP works out at.....

£27.5K I reckon. The price was apparently disclosed on the Slovakian Skoda site and it was about £4000 to £5000 more than an Elegance Tdi 150.

£27.5K I reckon. The price was apparently disclosed on the Slovakian Skoda site and it was about £4000 to £5000 more than an Elegance Tdi 150.

But that would be more than a golf GTI? Not sure that will happen.... :happy:

Best way to get a proper idea of price is look at the base MK6 GTi price & compare to FL Octy, then MK5 compared to Pre FL, if possible go back and compare an original MK1 Octy vRS with the Golf GTi equivalent.

These price differences should give a good idea on now much less at base price the GTi will be compared to the Mk3 Octy.

Mk7 starts at £27845, so if it is £21500 then it will be serious value for money, specially if similar spec at base, & if the options taken keeps the price difference, then seriously, the next VW AGM will have a well peed of VW MD with the Skoda raping sales from the GTi.

I think over 6k price difference is unrealistic.