where is the aux input port in the car?

Ive been told theres an auxiliary port in the car so I can play my mp3 player, ive looked everywhere and still cant find it. Any help will be most appreciated.

Not sure aux in ports were fitted on 05 cars.

What HU do you have and what does the manual say?

The stream has an auxiliary port in the back of it, your 55 shouldn't have a built in port in the armrest but you can bring one through the glove box by making a small hole in it.

• 1 month later...

I'm intrigued by this also.

My head unit only says Stream, no mention of MP3. Under the menu there is an option for enabling the aux input, which I initially thought might what the changer in the boot was using. However if I disable the aux input, the changer is still working.

Mines an 06 plate Elegance, can anyone confirm whether there is an aux port on the unit beyond that used by the changer in the boot?

Tom

I don't think you have one. Does your car have the jumbo box? It would be in there if it had one. I think the stream radio fitted MY06 cars didn't have an aux input even though there is an option for in the setup for the radio.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Oh well, guess if I want to add aux I'll need to look at acquiring a mp3 stream then.

Annoying they add it to the menu, gets your hopes up.

Tom

For a cheap (but good quality) alternative, pick up a Connects2 unit, which plugs into the CD changer socket in the back of the Stream and converts it to a standard 3.5mm jack input.

I'd want to keep the changer, so items like the Connects2 aren't an option - from what I understand.

I've had a look at eBay, there are serveral units on there. Is it a simple purchase and swap job, or will I need codes etc?

Obviously I'm not going to have the wring loom in my car for the connector, but I'm assuming I can bring it out to a jack socket easily enough?

Tom

• 2 months later...

On a non-MP3 Stream, you can use CD-INPUT as Aux in, just use CD-Left CD-Right and Ground

I have a '06 Octavia, and the HU is a non mp3 stream. Can I buy a cable set at my local VAG-store for the "hack" that you're describing, de_compet? I'm so tired of my old, noisy FM-transmitter, AUX would be sweeeeet!

If I get this right, I need to insert the cables for the AUX-socket into the three slots I've marked with red dots on the picture below?

e3b0e397-f428-46af-a9f3-d7afa509b952.jpg

I'd be very thankful for a reply on this! 

Ola

With a great deal of searching you may find an old how to guide on this site for adding an aux in socket. It is possibly on an external site no longer up.

Anyway, iirc those are the three pins you need to attach to. Maplins is your friend for the bits. I have also seen a completed loom on eBay.

I keep meaning to do this myself but I've had the car four years now.

I note from the image there is a mute pin on the back of the radio - might be possible to wire an after market parking sense there?

Edited by FriendlyFire

Thanks for your answer! 

What's really supposed to go into CDL, CDR and CDearth? An external CD-player?? Note that this audio system doesn't have aux-slots... I'm afraid this won't work since I don' have the aux-slots. Any thoughts?

So, I've searched through Maplin.co.uk looking for cables, but can't really find the appropriate ones.

This might be the socket: http://www.maplin.co.uk/3.5mm-stereo-chassis-socket-1189 and these cables might be right: http://www.passatplus.de/umbauteile/stecker/000979010.jpg.

Thanks for the help so far!

• 11 months later...

Thanks for your answer! 

What's really supposed to go into CDL, CDR and CDearth? An external CD-player?? Note that this audio system doesn't have aux-slots... I'm afraid this won't work since I don' have the aux-slots. Any thoughts?

So, I've searched through Maplin.co.uk looking for cables, but can't really find the appropriate ones.

This might be the socket: http://www.maplin.co.uk/3.5mm-stereo-chassis-socket-1189 and these cables might be right: http://www.passatplus.de/umbauteile/stecker/000979010.jpg.

Thanks for the help so far!

Did you able to manage installing aux in your car? I just came across this thread and I got the same non mp3 stream unit?

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have an 05 Mk2 elegance with the MP3 6 cd HU. I have been out and about in the wifes' ford which has a bluetooth stereo and I like being able to play my music and use my phone in the car. I want to install bluetooth in the Octy so I can play music from and use my phone hands free. Is it an option, is it easy to install and is it cheap? If not could I install an Aux lead?

Cheers

Chris

Probably need to get one of these to get an aux lead (see ebay item no 250934804347).

Another member recently tried to install without this and I think it failed. A full BT installation can be done with a stream but it would probably need to be a dated module and you would need maxidot.

I have an 05 plate Elegenace with a Parrot mki9200 installed, and I have a Stream non MP3 head unit (with 6 CD Jumbo in the boot). Aux leads are fitted through the back of the Glove Box and into the back of the stereo, however I am yet to remove the stereo to see how its fitted. I am happy to show those within a reasonable distance from where I live

I have an 04 Elegance with stream (non MP3) I have Jumbo box and can confirm that I have neither an Aux in the Jumbo box or at the back of the HU. I've removed the 6 Disc changer and have fitted a connects 2 unit into the changer socket then connected that to a aux socket that I fitted into a button blank under the climate controls.

Probably need to get one of these to get an aux lead (see ebay item no 250934804347).

Another member recently tried to install without this and I think it failed. A full BT installation can be done with a stream but it would probably need to be a dated module and you would need maxidot.

The ebay item is not suitable for HU with built in 6 cd player.