Swapping my R32 for a Yeti - am I mad or what?

pipmurray

Yep. I had an L&K Octy estate before my Yeti. All the bells and whistles. I wanted the Yeti one, but alas in good old 2010 it wasn't available.

A fully optioned Elegance was the closest I could get. I only just managed to get the electric arm chair. :lol:

The sunroof was in such short supply then that it was deleted from the options list.

Yes, sunroof and Columbus nav on top of the Elegance as standard.

Buying an Elegance and adding those actually costs more... Due to the cost of options.

Both unnecessary items IMHO.

Guy

Sent from my Xperia S using TapaTalk 4 beta

Guy

Columbus maybe, but my eyesight isn't what it was, so the 6" screen is much better than my 4" screen on the iPhone.

Though next time I might consider the 9.7" iPad. :lol: I used it in a courtesy Fabia and the iPad is great, but keeping it in place not so easy. I had the glove box open and held it is plsce using the pen slots and taped the top of the screen to the dash!!

I hate having to take out the sat Nav every time I get out of the car as I use it several times a day. .

As regards the tin snip job, that would appear to be down to personal preference :lol:

Guy

Exactly, it's all a matter of opinion. :)

In my view the Columbus makes the car feel nicer due to the better display, nav and other functions.

Which is why both the Wife and myself have it in our Yetis.

The sunroof didn't fit with my planned use of the car, but my Wife has it and I have to say it is very nice.

They are not cheap options, but then neither is a £20k+ new car...

Buying a second hand Fabia would have been better value. A new Yeti wasn't technically neccessary either! :D

• 2 weeks later...

No regrets so far!

The R32 is now for sale on the garage forecourt for a couple of grand more than I got for it.

No surprise there and good luck to them as I was happy with the cost to change.

I love the Yeti and apart from a couple of tiny problems to be fixed this week I hope I

am delighted with the monster. The DSG is not as responsive as I was expecting as it's

obviously not the same type as the one fitted to the R32. Mine was manual but I heard the DSG

version was even quicker.

Early days yet but first impressions are extremely favourable. This cannot be said for almost

everyone I know. Skoda still have a huge negative vibe I'm afraid. In a strange way I actually

delight in telling people I've swapped my R32 for the Yeti. Reverse snobbishness perhaps!

White is definitely the colour to have.

Good to hear you are getting on well with your monster.

On the subject of DSG respone a couple of suggestions for you;

1. The DSG gearchange is 'intelligent'. That is to say it is programmed to change gear in line with your driving style. If you tootle around in eco mode it will change up early and gently. If you drive briskly it will hold the gears etc. Takes a few miles to adapt to 'the style of the day'.

2. For immediate response you have 'S' i.e. Sport, which does what it says on the tin OR you can use the manual / tiptronic selection.

Hope this helps.

Guy

Thanks for that. I think this is exactly the problem. Because it's a new motor I am

tootling around and not really using the DSG to it's best.

I have tried whacking the throttle down and i(pip) have taken the ipad off him as it bed time!

same as me when I first got mine tootling around for the first 500 miles but 2000+ miles and the dsg is very responsive and still smooth as silk.

Forgot to mention that I'm pleased with the diesel option. Much against my

better judgement however!

Never really liked diesels even though I had a BMW 330d for a few years.

Very happy to get back to petrol engines after that and vowed never to get

another diesel. A Z4 followed by the R32 and I was a confirmed petrolhead!

Wanted a Yeti with DSG so was limited to two models. Very nearly ordered

new and it would have been the 1.2 petrol. However, when the demo 2 litre diesel

showed up with most of the extras I wanted, I bit the bullet and decided to try a

newer diesel.

I test drove them both and decided I could live with the diesel. No regrets.

Never going to be as quiet and smooth as a petrol engine but the mid-range

torque of the 140 bhp diesel almost makes up for it.

Forgot to mention that I'm pleased with the diesel option. Much against my

better judgement however!

Never really liked diesels even though I had a BMW 330d for a few years.

Very happy to get back to petrol engines after that and vowed never to get

another diesel. A Z4 followed by the R32 and I was a confirmed petrolhead!

Wanted a Yeti with DSG so was limited to two models. Very nearly ordered

new and it would have been the 1.2 petrol. However, when the demo 2 litre diesel

showed up with most of the extras I wanted, I bit the bullet and decided to try a

newer diesel.

I test drove them both and decided I could live with the diesel. No regrets.

Never going to be as quiet and smooth as a petrol engine but the mid-range

torque of the 140 bhp diesel almost makes up for it.

I think you'd have been very unhappy with a 1,2 coming from an R32... Coming from a GTI Golf or even a 1,6 petrol... The 1,2 is very sedate. Adequate for most of course, but there is really no oomph when you need to get on. The torque of the CR 140 is fantastic. As I've said elsewhere I can load my trailer to the brim, but bikes on the roof, four people inside and it still goes like no tomorrow. Perfect.

With the greatest respect ( and I am a happy VRS Blackline owner) I find any statement that a 140 bhp oil burner is quick baffling?

They are by no means quick. Even my 170 bhp lump isn't quick. I would describe it as "brisk once it's gotten going"

What are people driving historically previous to owning these cars?

With the greatest respect ( and I am a happy VRS Blackline owner) I find any statement that a 140 bhp oil burner is quick baffling?

They are by no means quick. Even my 170 bhp lump isn't quick. I would describe it as "brisk once it's gotten going"

All relative of course. Coming from a V8 Supercharged Range Rover of course a 170 or 140 Yeti will be slow. Coming from a Nissan GT-R everything will be slow... But for real daily roads and viz a viz your average Corsa, Focus or dare I say 1,2 litre Yeti, a 140 Yeti is plenty fast enough.

• Like 4

It's how the car goes and how the power is delivered, as you know as a 170 owner.

These cars develop a slug of torque in the mid range which makes them feel quick.

I know you have a thing for the Focus RS.

I myself have a GT-R and I still find the higher spec Yeti's quite nippy, because they are not focused sports/performance machines.

You judge them on what they are, not comparing them to compromised performance orientated machines like yours and mine.

People think my Yeti is quick and it is. For a family car.

• Like 4

Have you driven a Yeti 140?

And I came from a Td4 Freelander, so it is quick!!

I class my RS as a quick car. Mentioning something like a gtr is irrelevant as performance like that is night and day compared to 99% of whats on the road.

All I'm saying is people throw the word quick around too easily, when really most cars aren't. It's like anything that accelerates with any sort of gusto or feeling of momentum at all is therefore classed as a performance car?

I'm not wanting to open a can of worms, or start an argument as to why a 140 yeti isnt quick.

With similar capacities modern diesels are have vastly quicker in-gear acceleration times than petrol, period..... :blush:

With similar capacities modern diesels are have vastly quicker in-gear acceleration times than petrol, period..... :blush:

In particular I find the acceleration from, say, 50 to 70 mph is pretty good. It's this aspect of a diesel I find really useful.

I class my RS as a quick car. Mentioning something like a gtr is irrelevant as performance like that is night and day compared to 99% of whats on the road.

All I'm saying is people throw the word quick around too easily, when really most cars aren't. It's like anything that accelerates with any sort of gusto or feeling of momentum at all is therefore classed as a performance car?

I'm not wanting to open a can of worms, or start an argument as to why a 140 yeti isnt quick.

So you haven't driven one, then?

You are trying to compare a "sports" saloon with an SUV, which has different gearing.

Sorry but that comparison is meaningless, and more than a little disparaging to us Yeti owners.

• Like 1

In the real world, cross country trips take broadly the same time whether you're in a Ferrari 458 or a Citroen 2 CV. Albeit there are differences in comfort, quality of ride, carrying ability, equipment and possibly driving enjoyment, but at the end of the day, and given how busy UK roads are, all we're really talking about is personal perception.

One mans 'fast' is another mans 'slow', one man's 'cool' car is another man's 'lemon', one man's 'pride & joy' is another man's 'nail'

There ain't no 'correct' answer.

Pointless debate IMHO, but ETTO - and I'm quite happy with my choice which suits my current purpose admirably. (See, I never mentioned my Yeti once!) :rofl:

• Like 3