Winking "individual" front fogs

AlleyCat`

I've had a search for this and it didn't turn up what i was looking for but it must have been asked before.

How do i turn this wretched feature off before it causes me to have an accident?

I couldn't see anything obvious in the MFD, is it a VCDS only item?

The number of people who wave and cut across me because they think I've "flashed them to go" is driving me up the proverbial wall.

The number of people who wave and cut across me because they think I've "flashed them to go" is driving me up the proverbial wall.

I have turned off my daytime running lights for the same reason when going over a slight bump before a junction.

Edited by loftypeak2
  • Like 1

If you indicate(?)* below (i think 20mph) and start to corner the front fog on the side you are turning illuminates.

I assume this is to show up anything low down that you might clip.

It only does it on the one side (at any given corner) but it appears to make lemmings of many car drivers.

The risk to me seems to outweigh the minor technical benefit.

I've seen it appearing more and more on VAG cars.

* I'm starting to wonder if indication is the sole driver of this as I've had a few lemmings on roundabouts where i was going straight ahead but had to swing out left to follow the road (if that makes sense).

Equally it could be just poor driving / anticipation / distance awareness.

Edited by AlleyCat`

I assume this is the cornering function of the foglights that is being discussed, where one foglight illuminates to light up a corner or junction depending which way you are turning? If so, it only activates with the indicators or with a significant steering angle input.

I can envisage a situation at night or in low light where your headlights are on, you are approaching a side turn, wanting to turn right into it. You indicate right and your right hand foglight illuminates. The dozy and mis-educated driver sitting at the junction waiting to pull out interprets your light as an invitation to pull out, which you maybe weren't anticipating, which can lead to near misses or, worse, a collision.

Another reason why I don't subscribe to this hype over cornering foglights. I have just read my copy of the manual and can see a description of the function but no way to manage it, hence the need to get a VCDS intervention.

EDIT: it is driven by indicators and steering input. The manual states that where indicators and steering angle are in conflict (ie, indicate one way but steer the other) the indicators take priority.

Edited by weasley

EDIT: it is driven by indicators and steering input. The manual states that where indicators and steering angle are in conflict (ie, indicate one way but steer the other) the indicators take priority.

This might also explain some behaviour i've seen on larger roundabouts.

Indicator isn't on but the "sharpness" of the roundabout curve means you swing out left, people mistake the "wink" for an indicator, as there is also a valid left exit and pull out in front of you.

I'm really not a fan of this solution to a problem i didn't know i had.

I have had no probs either with my cornering fogs making other drivers think i have flashed them to go.

I though cornering fogs only worked if your lights were actually on ( not just DLR's ).

And I am +ve that the indicators being on or off make no difference to mine working, as i see this when I take my car to the garage, no indcators needed to turn to garage door to line up & the fog comes on when turning.

• Like 4

Well i've seen seats, vw's and audis have the corner fog light come on with no lights on at all.

I've assumed the Yetis the same, it's hard to see it and drive it at the same time.

It "could" be the DRL's as lofty mentioned earlier in the thread and bumpy roads in some instances but the woman that cut across me this morning in a Kuga explained to me why she did.

I was dropping my son off at school just up the road and her kids go there also so i got to talk to her whilst waiting for them to go in.

She specifically said i'd flashed her and pointed at the front fog(s) (when we walked back to our respective vehicles).

The fact she waved to me and pointed at the fog tends to suggest she wasn't telling me porkies.

I've never had as many people pull out on me as i have with the yeti and i've driven VAG cars for the last decade.

This is the first with DRL's and Cornering front fogs and i'm not living in a different area so i really think the car is the common factor.

Edit:- This probably isn't in the right area for this anyway as i suspect it's not yeti specific. However, since i tend to read this area the most i thought i'd ask here first. I suspect i might end up upsetting the "all things yeti are excellent" fraternity which isn't my intention :angel:

Edited by AlleyCat`

Cornering fogs can be retro-switched on through VCDS, as mine were, if not done originally at the factory.

They should only work when the headlights are illuminated; as per C & U Regs and the Vehicle Lighting Regulations.

Anyone who confuses DRL's for a flashing headlight needs their eyes testing.

And finally, any person pulling out because they "think" you have flashed them needs to read the Highway Code, as that is quite specific on the matter. The only times I use my headlight flashers are to say hello to another Yeti or as a warning to "richards" who appear to be blind and/or stupid and haven't seen me, and the latter will not be a short flash!

• Like 1

The foglight on the side you are turning doesnt "wink" it comes on steadily and only when at turning speed/with indicators. the Kuga driver is unfit to be on the road. in 20,000 Yeti miles I have had no incidents.

• Like 3

I have had no probs either with my cornering fogs making other drivers think i have flashed them to go.

I though cornering fogs only worked if your lights were actually on ( not just DLR's ).

And I am +ve that the indicators being on or off make no difference to mine working, as i see this when I take my car to the garage, no indcators needed to turn to garage door to line up & the fog comes on when turning.

+1 in possibly 100,000 miles on many cars here and abroad.

If you did use the right indicator as you swung left into your garage (or vice versa, of course) then the other cornering foglight WOULD take preference... but who would do that!

The cornering fogs are speed dependent.

They will illuminate when the steering wheel is turned if the speed is low enough, and they do so in the direction of the turn.

They will also turn on when indicators are used, at the appropriate speed.

Both will shine when reverse is chosen.

There is no "flashing" at any time.

Nor is it anything to do with bi-Xenon headlights. At all.

The object of DLR/DRL/LDR/RLDS is quite simply to ensure you are seen - NOT to illuminate your chosen pathway.

The object of the fogs shining brightly is to lighten up the darkness on the appropriate side as you turn, OR to give you sight of stuff at the front end of the vehicle as you reverse, in case you clobber something as you turn.

No flashing. No confusion. No problem. Just prejudice and imagination!! So relax, eh?

• Like 4

In the 3 years I've had my Yeti no-one has ever confused the cornering fog-light function, or the DRL's as a "come-on"!

I find the cornering fog-light function very useful, especially parking at work, and would not be without it. In reverse both lights illuminate.

(popcorn at the ready)

I've had it on my Bravo for 4 years and never had an issue with it confusing people either.

If your DRLs are flashing when hitting a bump, I'd say you have a loose connection somewhere. They can't flash.

Apologies for my imprecise English.

I have turned them off so that when the Yeti is subjected to an upward movement caused by the road surface; to a person whose viewpoint is external

to my vehicle and when sitting in a driving position: the effect of aforementioned bump is to create the impression that the deflection of the light beam

is that of a flash or occulation in said beam. The beam in fact is not interrupted, but the impression created is that it was....phew! :whew:

I had wondered how one spends the long winter nights in Norfolk :blush:

Mardling about squit usually :rofl:

• Like 1