Winking "individual" front fogs

AlleyCat`

OK - I get it - bi-xenons only. No worries here, then :)

....Nor is it anything to do with bi-Xenon headlights. At all....

My error - too hasty. I read in the promo - '...bi-xenon with corner lighting...'. Later, if I had read on, comes the more specific - '...cornering fog lights (standard on Elegance)...'.

• Like 1

It could also be that Alleycat has a fault with his lights. The fog light should not be coming on when indicating or not in daylight. Also if at night with dipped headlights on and waiting to turn right with indicator flashing, the r/h fog should not light up.

Apologies for my imprecise English.

I have turned them off so that when the Yeti is subjected to an upward movement caused by the road surface; to a person whose viewpoint is external

to my vehicle and when sitting in a driving position: the effect of aforementioned bump is to create the impression that the deflection of the light beam

is that of a flash or occulation in said beam. The beam in fact is not interrupted, but the impression created is that it was....phew! :whew:

DRL's do not have a "beam" but shine through a diffused lens.

Anyone thinking they are flashing at them needs their eyes tested.

• Like 2

Quite, Graham. And well done to Skoda for making them an off white colour so that they are not too bright, not mistaken for reflections and cannot be mistaken for headlights as they are not in the same "slot"

• Like 1

Whilst i take your point it is cold comfort for me when i stuff into the side of their car.

Something is causing this to happen and since nothing apart from the car has really changed it seems fair to assume that something about the Yeti might be the cause.

Having spoken to someone who did this to me and they've highlighted the DRL / Fog area of the car as "flashing them" i don't think that's an unreasonable conclusion?

It could also be a fault with my cars lighting unit, the only way to really check that is to get someone else to confirm how the car behaves as i drive up to corners / indicating to turn left and right.

Possibly, but she "waved" as if to acknowledge me letting her go.

That means she saw me and believes i did something to allow her to go.

Anyway it doesn't matter, i've found out what i needed to know.

Touch wood, no one has pulled out in front of me so far, so maybe it's just the Hull drivers who need their sight testing, although some drivers in this part of the world seem to like to pull out in front of you regardless of what car you may be driving

In nearly 2,5 years with my Yeti I have never had an issue with idiotic drivers that mistook a S L O W L Y fading in SINGLE fog lamp for a FAST flashing DUAL main beam headlight. Never. Not once. I also don't think I ever will. That much benefit I'll give the human species. And I've driven my Yeti from Cornwall to Scotland and from here to deep Germany and the southern most parts of France and back. Also remember that many other cars now do this, so people are really getting used to it (when the headlights are on). Mercedes, Fiat, SEAT, VW, Audi all have this feature, to name but a few...

Well AlleyCat this relates to our earlier banter. My car attracts other cars to be sidewards next to me in car parks and yours attracts them to the front.Could be an East Yorkshire phenomenon of being magnetised :giggle:

• Like 2

Well AlleyCat this relates to our earlier banter. My car attracts other cars to be sidewards next to me in car parks and yours attracts them to the front.Could be an East Yorkshire phenomenon of being magnetised :giggle:

Mm if our yetis ever met the world might just stop spinning. :giggle:

• Like 1

I initially thought this when I started reading this topic. But then I thought that something must be happening, so I took a close look at my Yeti's DRLs in the underground car park this morning, and in fact DRL's do have a beam, although it is diffused. Looking at them, if you move your head steadily down from a standing position, they get steadily brighter going down. I was not sufficiently dedicated to roll on the ground, but saw enough to prove that if the front of the car bumps up, then a driver coming in the other direction could perceive a flash from the lights.

• Like 1

I initially thought this when I started reading this topic. But then I thought that something must be happening, so I took a close look at my Yeti's DRLs in the underground car park this morning, and in fact DRL's do have a beam, although it is diffused. Looking at them, if you move your head steadily down from a standing position, they get steadily brighter going down. I was not sufficiently dedicated to roll on the ground, but saw enough to prove that if the front of the car bumps up, then a driver coming in the other direction could perceive a flash from the lights.

If they have a "beam" how can they be diffused?

If you put a sheet of white board in front of the car, or park near a wall you will see no "beam" projected from the lens, just a diffused pool of light. The actual "construction" of the lens actually precludes any beam, as there is no focussing structure to it, nor is there in the reflector behind. the further away you are the more diffused it becomes.

Sorry, but any driver that thinks they are being "flashed" by the off-white DRL's standard on a Yeti needs to get their eyes tested, and needs to ensure that they have read the Highway Code.

The light intensity must be significantly lower than a 'flash' from the head lights.

Quite.

• Like 1

Well I was wondering why an oncoming transit had flashed at me the other day until I realised the council had renewed a rumble strip type speed bump near my house. Him hitting the three strips at speed DID make it look as though he had flashed at me.

I wasn't making any turn/don't turn decisions, just puzzled at why white van man was flashing at me.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 2

Where to start.... Let's for arguments sake ignore the DRL's and what happens when you go over a bump and pretend we are talking of the headlights on dipped beam. Now, in nearly 300,000 miles of driving in my life on many continents, I have NEVER EVER seen a car bump such, that I mistook the shining headlights to be flashing high beams. Never.

Now let's get back to this silly argument. DRL's over a bump coming across as high beams flashing at you?!?!

Let me just pick myself up from the floor... Sorry. But such rubbish I've not read in along time. Sorry.

+1 and this is ME agreeing with Johann LOL no offence Johann :p

• Like 1

If they have a "beam" how can they be diffused?

If you put a sheet of white board in front of the car, or park near a wall you will see no "beam" projected from the lens, just a diffused pool of light. The actual "construction" of the lens actually precludes any beam, as there is no focussing structure to it, nor is there in the reflector behind. the further away you are the more diffused it becomes.

I'm sorry Graham, but if you try what I did, you will see that there is a beam of sorts. I regularly park pointing at a wall and see it. But I do agree that no alert driver should mistake it, but clearly some do.

Where to start.... Let's for argument's sake ignore the DRL's and what happens when you go over a bump and pretend we are talking of the headlights on dipped beam. Now, in nearly 300,000 miles of driving in my life on many continents, I have NEVER EVER seen a car bump such, that I mistook the shining headlights to be flashing high beams. Never.

But you are clearly a car enthusiast, interested in driving, and capable of noticing the difference. Not every driver on the road has your level of perception. Over a similar sort of distance, neither have I mistaken low beams to be a headlight flash, but I have seen many instances, especially over speed humps, where a flash could be perceived.

But you are clearly a car enthusiast, interested in driving, and capable of noticing the difference. Not every driver on the road has your level of perception. Over a similar sort of distance, neither have I mistaken low beams to be a headlight flash, but I have seen many instances, especially over speed humps, where a flash could be perceived.

I grant you over a speed bump lights will "flash". But then my eyes also tell me that the vehicle in question is visibly going up and down (unless said speed bump is in pitch black darkness, which is highly unlikely). So putting two and two together I know the driver is not flashing me. So I still maintain what I said: I've never experienced a car flashing me driving on a normal road (sans speed bumps) by going over a bumpy road. So to disable DRLs to avoid this is silly as you're ignoring all the other benefits the DRL brings in terms of keeping you visible on the road in the daytime.

(And Zib I replied to your post but realise it is not your argument I'm arguing against here! :-) I hope you realise that. )

So to disable DRLs to avoid this is silly as you're ignoring all the other benefits the DRL brings in terms of keeping you visible on the road in the daytime.

Quite!!

I get the feeling that some people are just finding some very spurious points to try and defend themselves.

And on that note, I'm going to bed.

Oh, and on the topic of 'flickering' dipped beam being seen as a flash, I did a Bikesafe course at the weekend with the Thames Valley Police. They told me that people are forever pulling over for them when being followed. When asked "why did you pull over?" they respond "you flashed me", which they didn't but they did have their dipped beam on.

• Like 2