Shock, Horror!

Llanigraham

I hope you are all sitting down.........

We've got no trains so I thought I'd go and wash and polish the car.  :whew:

Lots of nice suds and a suitable wash cloth, then left it to dry whilst I had a cup of tea, then another cloth and out with the bottle of Autoglym.

All fine until I got to the nearside rear wheelarch, and the lacquer is peeling off, and there is.....................rust!!

Mainly at the rearmost section just before the bumper and patchily covers a lengthy of about 6 inches!!

Checked the other side and it is fine.

I think I shall be gently rubbing it down, priming and top coating and then putting a length of helicopter tape along it.

I suppose that area gets well peppered with stones and water, but still a bit surprised. The wheel arch "extension" things would cover that area, but a bit late now.

I hope you are all sitting down.........

We've got no trains so I thought I'd go and wash and polish the car.  :whew:

:o  :o  :o  wash and polish  :no:  Graham you will make it  :rain: ,

Wounder if the rust would be covered by the ant corrosion warranty  :wonder:  

Not due to see them for at least 2 months, so I shall give them a ring tomorrow afternoon.

160 mile round trip is a bit too far to just "pop in"

Thought it might be too dark to take any photos but looks like I've managed a few.

Kevin......I have!!

Now spitting!! :rain:

• Like 1

you local dealer is 80 miles away?! - It doesn't have to be your supplying dealer... 

Yes - Take it back - had a bumper re-sprayed on my Superb because it peeled! 

Al. 

you local dealer is 80 miles away?! - It doesn't have to be your supplying dealer... 

Yes - Take it back - had a bumper re-sprayed on my Superb because it peeled! 

Al. 

That is one of my nearest dealers and not the supplying dealer.

I either have to drive to Swansea, Cardiff, Telford, Worcester or Oswestry and the Swansea dealer has the best reputation. 

Andy,

Yes no trains until 0455 "if" they give back the possesion on time. Relaying and resleppering north of here. Looks like it will be reading Section Z of the Rule Book later. :giggle:

Not saying "I told you so", but that's one reason I put the wheel arch trim kit on very early, as the painted edges looked very vulnerable due to the "roads" we often drive. Still not happy with the the rear door/arch seals which let mud/grit past and will wear the door paint away with body shuffle in time :think:

My rear radius arms are showing corrosion on the welded seams, so I'll have to tackle that before the real winter sets in :giggle:

All cars with metal edged arches that stick out are liable to this damage as the stones hit that area and damage the paint.

The better designed ones (tiguan etc...) have plastic inserts to stop this damage.

When you start to look, quite a few crossover type vehicles have some form of plastic liner.

.... is there a VW / Seat / Audi dealer anywhere closer...? 

They will be able to deal with it too - my Pain repair was delt with via VW dealer. 

Al. 

.... is there a VW / Seat / Audi dealer anywhere closer...? 

my Pain repair was delt with via VW dealer. 

Al. 

Another instance of the creeping privatisation of the NHS?

• Like 1

According to the Golf brochure the paint warranty is 3 years and 12 years for rusting through from the inside... :happy:

Three-year Paint Warranty.

All Skoda passenger cars are provided with a warranty for a period of three years from the date of first registration against any manufacturing defects with the paintwork. The only preconditions are:

• The defect must be reported to a member of the Skoda authorised network as soon as it is discovered. This must, of course, be within the warranty period.

• The defect must not be due to external influences such as accident damage, climatic, thermal, chemical or industrial pollution, insufficient care or maintenance. This will be determined by a member of the Skoda authorised network at the time of inspection.

Body Protection Warranty.

All new Skoda vehicles are fully protected during manufacture against corrosion emanating from inside the body panel for 12 years from the date of first registration. The only preconditions are:

• The defect must be reported to a member of the Skoda authorised network as soon as it is discovered. This must, of course, be within the warranty period.

• The perforation must not have been caused originally by damage, neglect, insufficient care or maintenance, or by external rusting.

• All body repairs will be carried out promptly in accordance with the manufacturer’s technical guidelines, using only approved parts and materials, in order to maintain the original level of anti- corrosion protection.

HTH

Three-year Paint Warranty.

All Skoda passenger cars are provided with a warranty for a period of three years from the date of first registration against any manufacturing defects with the paintwork. 

Body Protection Warranty.

All new Skoda vehicles are fully protected during manufacture against corrosion emanating from inside the body panel for 12 years from the date of first registration. 

Ah...  it was the latter I was thinking about.

My X-Trail had plastic liners but I used to wonder about the muck that accumulated between the edge of the plastic and the paintwork - a near-constant damp sponge to encourage corrosion

OK if it was a banger Graham, with a car like the Yeti I would leave it to the professionals... :happy:

It appears to Marie, but as I don't like them I shall rub it down, prime and repaint then stick a length of helicopter tape over both sides.

What I am surprised at is that Sinclairs didn't spot this when they washed it at the last service, so I still might raise it with them, as it can't have happened in 3 months!

So does the wheel arch trim kit offer protection against the likelihood of this problem?

Yes it does, but only just. I put it on six months after getting the car, only because I have to work outside and the weather wasn't dry and warm enough for the adhesive.

Certainly no problems with paint so far. Graham and I probably travel similar gravel roads in the course of our hobby :wonder:  

The kit also has the added advantage of protecting the car from supermarket dings the full length of the car as well.