New Yeti, 0% finance and discounts

dla32

I'm very new to this forum and I've never owned a Skoda before so please bear with me.

I'm looking at buying a Yeti SE PLUS either 140 or 170 bhp diesel. I was intending to buy nearly-new but with the 0% finance PCP with 3 years free servicing I've changed to looking at brand new.

Now I thought that the finance deal would probably by financed by Skoda and I might expect some discount from the dealer, but that doesn't seem to be the case (or at least that's what the dealers are saying). The best offer I've had so far is EITHER £1000 off list OR the 0% finance deal, but not both.

Does anyone have any advice? The What Car target price is just about £2k off list.

Thanks

2.5k off should be possible but wait until the end of run ones become available (before the FL) and it could be a bigger saving. Go onto drivethedeal, get a quote, take it to a couple of dealers. Go from there and you should still get the 0% and free servicing. :)

• Like 1

Buying nearly new now would be a bad idea.

They have been holding their value too well and the facelift version will appear in around 6 months.

If the values do drop (they are a bit over priced second hand in my opinion) this will be when.

I'd either buy new now or wait until early next year.

Also the 0% finance deal is from Skoda UK, not the dealer.

So the dealer should give you a bit off too.

If they don't just find another dealer, some don't do discounts and rely on less sales.

• Like 1

This is what broadspeed are doing a 140 at:-

Skoda Yeti 2.0 TDI CR 140PS SE Plus 4x4 5dr... DIESEL
MANUAL £21915 £19753 152 g/km

It looks like there is at least £2K of negotiating power in there to my untrained eye.

I'd expect drivethedeal would be similar.

A local might not be able to exactly match that but i'd expect them to do a bit better.

As BossFox says the finance is not with the dealer so it should allow them some room to come down on price also.

The 170 appears to have about a £2K discount also (obviously more expensive but not as much as i expected).

Edited by AlleyCat`

I was in the fortunate position to finance my Yeti myself. I went to three dealers to discuss price, including a preference to trade in my car (to avoid the hassle of a private sale or accepting a probably lowish price from the cash-for-your-car companies).

The first dealer offered an estimated £5k for my car at trade in but nothing off the new one (I wanted an Elegance with added toys). I walked out, I wasn't that desperate to change.

The second offered £1500 discount and an estimated £5,200-£5,300 for mine at trade in. It seemed an offer good enough to seriously think about.

The third, with a bit of persuasion, took £2,000 off the list price of just over £23,000 (including options) and got my business because even at on-line valuations (less a bit for realism) for the old car the overall deal was going to be best.for me. In fact at trade in they valued my old car at £6,000, which I felt was a very fair price for make, mode  ,age and condition so I was very pleased and now recommend the dealership and salesman to other people. (unfortunately they are on the South Coast so at bit far for you i guess).

The second and third dealers were part of the same group and located within 10-15 miles of each other so it's certainly worth doing the rounds even within the same group to see what offers they are prepared to make but do your preparation first so you have your facts and figures all worked though. See what other finance offers are available to you and what they will cost over the period of the loan (and how that compares with possible discounts), whether you are in a position to part finance the car yourself (with savings interest rates so low and seemingly still falling), a realistic valuation of any trade in vehicle and go into the negotiations knowing what package is going to be right for you. Even a simple spreadsheet can be really useful to try out "what if" scenarios of finance options, discounts and trade in estimates. If the deal isn't good enough you can always walk away - I'm sure they will be pleased to see you if you go back having changed your mind!

I did look at on-line deals and there were some decent offers but in the end I decided i was prepared to pay a couple of hundred pounds extra for being able to buy locally and feel comfortable about taking the car to the local dealership if there were any problems; so far there haven't been.

Good luck.

• Like 1

I did look at on-line deals and there were some decent offers but in the end I decided i was prepared to pay a couple of hundred pounds extra for being able to buy locally and feel comfortable about taking the car to the local dealership if there were any problems; so far there haven't been.

I think this is a very important bit.

I'd be inclined to let the local "not on volume" guy have a bit more in his favour.

But the original offer to dla32 is pretty poor / chancing it assuming there is no trade in involved.

I ordered my yeti on the last deal with the 6.5% Finance + 3 years free servicing deal, I got about 11% discount on new car price & book price on my trade in.  As I still hadn't collected the car before the new 0% deal came in, I asked if i could change to this deal.....which I was told I could, but I couldn't have the discount as well, as they (the dealer) provided the finance on the deal..... & they didn't have the profit margin to do both.

I was a bit confused by salesman offering finance ( not sure if free or low rate ) on my new Yeti which included 'free servicing' for three years. Seemed to be a cost ( insurance or something ) which would be around £600, however, I reckon 3 years servicing would be less than £600.

Will be ready in about three weeks-any suggestions about what's being offered at present?

I could pay outright but may be swayed by 'free' servicing. Capable of servicing myself BUT mindful of lack of support on warranty or 'just outside warranty' from Skoda UK if not main dealer serviced.

I could pay outright but may be swayed by 'free' servicing.

You can do both - take the finance so that you get the free servicing, then pay it off straight away.  I did that in May when I bought my L&K.

Thanks splooter, I couldn't remember the details but was sure it wasn't that straightforward. Costs WERE involved, possibly 'cancellation' charges? Any further info, 'catches' to avoid etc?

If you pay it off within 14 days you are actually withdrawing from the agreement, so just have to pay back what you borrowed plus daily interest (this is what I did, and the interest was next to nothing).  After 14 days you would have to request an early settlement figure which may include fees.  You retain the free servicing deal with either option.

A Dealer may say different (mine told me I had to keep the finance for 6 months to get the servicing), but it's not true.  VWFS (Volkswagen Financial Services) are very good and will confirm the above if you are unsure.

Did the same on my Octy last October. I had to pay an admin fee and the daily interest as above but got the 3 years free servicing effectively for well under £100. bit of a no brainer really, just check out the T&C's though as they changed them after I got mine and IIRC there's a minimum you have to finance now to 'get the deal'

I was sceptical at first but it works!

EDIT. Forgot to add when I got mine it was on the fixed 10k miles/12 month plan not on variable servicing and think it still is so don't know if this fits in with your annual milage

Did the same on my Octy last October. I had to pay an admin fee and the daily interest as above but got the 3 years free servicing effectively for well under £100. bit of a no brainer really, just check out the T&C's though as they changed them after I got mine and IIRC there's a minimum you have to finance now to 'get the deal'

I was sceptical at first but it works!

EDIT. Forgot to add when I got mine it was on the fixed 10k miles/12 month plan not on variable servicing and think it still is so don't know if this fits in with your annual milage

When I did it in May, you had to finance at least 50% - but this is irrelevant if you are planning paying it off straight away.

There were definitely no admin fees then either as I paid off my finance the day after collecting the car and just had to pay back what I borrowed + £1.62 (and that was for borrowing 50% of a Yeti L&K, which is a significant sum).

I was still given the option of setting the car on fixed or variable servicing, so went for fixed which will give me the best return on my £1.62  :giggle: .

Thanks for the advice. Will definitely get a quote from Broadspeed or similar and try again - I would prefer to use a local dealer, but they would have to come reasonably close.

I forgot to mention the first dealer I went to who, instead of offering a discount, inflated the price by £800 with Autoglym and GAP insurance, even though I'd said I didn't want GAP insurance. Then to make matters worse they refused to let me take away the itemised quote (they literally snatched it out of my hand), leaving me with only the finance quote containing the inflated price.

Don't you just love car dealers!

I was told yesterday, maybe by the same dealer as the OP, that the rules have changed and its either 0% finance or a discount but not both. This has come from Skoda who are pushing 0% PCP`s as the new way forward as the Vat Free deals had gone on too long and had lost their effect...Got the impression that the trade are holding their breath to see if this strategy works.....tbh if their strategy is as bad as their customer call centre then it wont  :wall:

I was a bit confused by salesman offering finance ( not sure if free or low rate ) on my new Yeti which included 'free servicing' for three years. Seemed to be a cost ( insurance or something ) which would be around £600, however, I reckon 3 years servicing would be less than £600.

Will be ready in about three weeks-any suggestions about what's being offered at present?

I could pay outright but may be swayed by 'free' servicing. Capable of servicing myself BUT mindful of lack of support on warranty or 'just outside warranty' from Skoda UK if not main dealer serviced.

Yes a visit to the local Skoda garage this morning, even with my 60's A level maths there seemed to be about £600 that I couldnt account for ... the spiel was that quick and anyway you are not supposed to question 0% finance... :rofl: .I was looking to change my two year old 1.4 SE Plus with 30K on the clock, it will be 2.5 years old by time they could obtain a specced one... (the spare wheel and auto dim rear view mirror... nothing fancy.. more essential..) . and it was very much £1000 off for cash or the zero deal at RRP but with metaillic paint thrown in..  and a 12K part exchange..

That's their first shot and I want to stay with the local dealer,...... :think: .. trouble is I quite fancy keeping the car I have... nothing really wrong with it...

I ordered a 170ps L&K in June. My local dealer matched the discount offered by drivethedeal. I was going to get the normal finance for the free servicing and immediately pay it off. But then the car arrived in early July and Skoda began to offer 0% financing and free servicing. The dealer let me switch to this with no further fuss.

I ordered a 170ps L&K in June. My local dealer matched the discount offered by drivethedeal. I was going to get the normal finance for the free servicing and immediately pay it off. But then the car arrived in early July and Skoda began to offer 0% financing and free servicing. The dealer let me switch to this with no further fuss.

Some dealers are so good with the customer service whilst others still seem to make you good for every part of a better deal.

When I did it in May, you had to finance at least 50% - but this is irrelevant if you are planning paying it off straight away.

There were definitely no admin fees then either as I paid off my finance the day after collecting the car and just had to pay back what I borrowed + £1.62 (and that was for borrowing 50% of a Yeti L&K, which is a significant sum).

I was still given the option of setting the car on fixed or variable servicing, so went for fixed which will give me the best return on my £1.62  :giggle: .

£1.62.... I bet that's the least anyone has paid, makes it look like I was overcharged! I think I'll complain :giggle:

My reference to the 50% was only to let the OP know that there is/was/could be a minimum requirement based on which way the SUK wind is blowing! I agree its irrelevent as far as paying the balance off is concerned (if you have it), but that wasn't my point (not well made by me as usual) - just wanted to make the OP aware that there wil be a minimum amount he would have to finance himself.

what's really apparent is that the T&Cs change for the various deals SUK offer each time the 3 months is up as you had to put down 50% and got the option of varaible servicing when I only had to put down around 30% IIRC and could only get the fixed servicing 3 year deal (which suits me anyway). 

I remember when the Blacklines supposedly ran out and the only ones left were demos. some got offered the free servicing/finance deal while others didn't. Then SUK released a few more estates!

Historically it all seems to change/move across models/engines based on what Skoda want to shift and with things like PCPs in there as well it's not easy to figure out what actually is on offer, especially with 'service' like the OP has recieved so far .

dla32, was the dealer who tried it on a multi dealership? If so are there any independant Skoda dealers by you as my experience is that the local one branch dealerships are far better to deal with, but it does seem a bit hit and miss I'm afraid.

Cheers and good luck

Just spotted now ! !  Yeti -  2.0 TDI CR 4x4 in Candy White brand new 50 miles on clock choice of 6 @ £16990  on the road , on Jewsons Skoda of Oxford website . Don't know if of any help to anyone ?  Price seems really good ....

Just spotted now ! !  Yeti -  2.0 TDI CR 4x4 in Candy White brand new 50 miles on clock choice of 6 @ £16990  on the road , on Jewsons Skoda of Oxford website . Don't know if of any help to anyone ?  Price seems really good ....

Surely just 'S' spec ones?!

what's really apparent is that the T&Cs change for the various deals SUK offer each time the 3 months is up as you had to put down 50% and got the option of varaible servicing when I only had to put down around 30% IIRC and could only get the fixed servicing 3 year deal (which suits me anyway). 

I agree that the T&C's seem to change but I'm not sure if much of that is down to the Dealer not knowing what they actually are.  The rules at the time I bought were that you had to finance at least 50%, so I would have been able to finance 70% and pay 30% deposit like you.

Either of our Dealers may just have simply got it wrong about the servicing but I can't imagine how anyone would choose the variable option anyway (and maybe just get 1 free service as opposed to 3).  The advice from my dealer was to go fixed, make sure I get something else done along with the 3rd free service (can't recall what it was though - brake fluid change perhaps ?), then get the car swapped over to variable if I want.

The first dealership I went to was a very large Skoda dealer..maybe the largest.

Using a broker I've now got an offer of 8% discount on a 170ps 4x4 se plus with the 0% PCP and free servicing. It's not too far afield and I've now no enthusiasm left to go back to the local dealers so I will just go with it. I have no trade-in as I'm switching from a company car to a car allowance.

Thanks for the help.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...