RoadWarrior

Nice car, i like your F-117 project ;). I want to camo my car and i have 2 ideas: http://www.gtspirit.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Audi-RS6-jon-olsson-winter-snow-camo11.jpg or http://data.motor-talk.de/data/galleries/0/18/7019/23477513/rs6-camouflage-8434439307460428724.jpg . But i like much first photo and i think in this spring i'll make this move with plastidip.

Nice car, i like your F-117 project ;). I want to camo my car and i have 2 ideas: http://www.gtspirit.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Audi-RS6-jon-olsson-winter-snow-camo11.jpg or http://data.motor-talk.de/data/galleries/0/18/7019/23477513/rs6-camouflage-8434439307460428724.jpg . But i like much first photo and i think in this spring i'll make this move with plastidip.

That's not camouflage! It's not camo unless you roll it on with military paint! ;)

Well I finally have a front splitter! I was going to paint it Ford Graphite Grey, to match the rear diffusor & vents, but surprisingly it looks similar in colour... so no need :p

Total of 22 screws and a big ol' serving of Tiger Seal - will need some serious force to get this thing back off.

oct1_zps2395cf69.jpg

oct2_zps44dfd506.jpg

oct3_zps4e913e81.jpg

oct4_zps008cd006.jpg

oct5_zpsd219ed62.jpg

oct6_zpsdb79960e.jpg

I've tried to get it as far forward as possible as I want it to look obvious. The F-117 has clear, sharp, defined edges, so I need to achieve something similar :rock:

I've also ordered 200 fake rivets - they will need priming and spraying black, so that will be a rather large task in itself. 200 won't be enough to do the whole car, but the first few ones will serve as a test. I plan to do the rear of the car first and if it goes well, work my way forward until the entire car is covered. I might have to wait a little while though, as it's still a bit too cold to be painting.

Interesting project here... Certainly took some balls to start it off! Lol

Where's that rear diffuser from if you don't mind me asking?

Not balls... madness :evil:

Amazon jobby: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Milotec-414-04-Diffusor-Octavia/dp/B00DPEREVG/ref=sr_1_25?ie=UTF8&qid=1382433047&sr=8-25&keywords=milotec

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well today was the first Sunday I've had off work in months... and it was nice and warm. So, today's shenanigans:

Cleaned:

D1_zps9f6bb560.jpg

Door Card Spraying:

I decided to give the "fabric spray paint" a go on one of the door cards. Wasn't expecting good results, but what the hell... this whole car is one big experiment! It's still wet at the mo, so I doubt it will dry out and look this good, but here's hoping.

D2_zps20583646.jpg

D3_zps5312a043.jpg

D4_zps12bb81b0.jpg

Fake Rivet Fitting:

Oh dear Lord, what have I let myself in for? This has turned out to be one of the most arse backward f*** job I've ever had to do. The problem is, I've started, so now I've got to finish the whole car  :wall:  42 studs down, about 1000 to go!

D5_zps0c3651b5.jpg

D6_zpsb172d516.jpg

D7_zpsc114ed66.jpg

D8_zps247b0269.jpg

D9_zpsed6b91e9.jpg

D10_zpsc6b18916.jpg

D11_zps069bf260.jpg

D13_zpsd9bd4489.jpg

D14_zps534c91a2.jpg

:devil:

D12_zps04168559.jpg

Now time for coffee... then onto ordering a crap load more studs :whew:

Thanks Rob :)

Today's work - completed the rear of the car @ total of 166 studs (might add some to the top of the boot and spoiler later on, but done for now).

X1_zps6f883e95.jpg

X2_zps6c7c7883.jpg

X3_zps893765e0.jpg

X4_zps658dd190.jpg

X5_zps467923c6.jpg

Some are a bit out of line and the measurements are perfect, but it's not really noticeable unless you get up really close. Once you get going it's actually quite easy.

I've ordered a further 300 studs and have plenty of primer and paint left, so hopefully I can get more done this weekend - I'm dreading the sides though, as it's a massive area to cover :ph34r:

• Like 2

Looking really cool there, don't envy you fitting em but will look great when done. How's the fabric dye looking ? What did you use on the door fabric?

I'm glad you mentioned that... because I completely forgot about it :ph34r: This stud job has completely taken over my brain lol. I'll have a look later when I go to work and update. I can't remember the product - some cheap spray can thing off eBay. I have a feeling it might need dying properly though.

My order of 300 more studs has arrived...

studs_zpsfecd08e4.jpg

I think I deserve a Skoda medal for this nightmare. Why do I do these things? :sweat:

Well this is how the door card ended up:

DoorCard_zps845206ed.jpg

As you can see it has faded a lot... but I think I know why. Having now read the canister, it says "best result with cotton fabric" which I'm pretty sure the door card isn't. Either way I'm not fussed - it was only an experiment after all (well, more like I was trying to cheat :giggle:)

I'm going to try another method instead - take the inserts out and use either 1) a proper dye or 2) bog-standard satin black paint. Not sure which one yet, but will have to wait a month, when I've got the week off.

Why not just strip the whole thing out?

You mean the whole interior? I'd like to... but I've never done anything like that before and I'm afraid I'd really screw it up (mainly the seats) :p

More studs! Top of boot and bonnet now complete. Running total: 272

S1_zps88f564a9.jpg

S2_zps07a1b3f0.jpg

S3_zps73cc8d47.jpg

S4_zps55483773.jpg

Front bumper next... then the dreaded sides.

• Like 2

Man that's looking cool. Great job with the studs so far. Are you coming to prept at all?

Cheers bud - I'm planning too once I get the car back to full health and made a few more changes (zaust, coilovers, etc). Hopefully that will be some point this year lol.

Awesome work, mate.

Thanks Rob :)

U could get a mustang one and make it fit using rivets to cover any modifications to it. Not cheap though!

Got to say the rivet effect is looking awesome!! Starting to remind me of the twisted metal games on the old consoles. Keep it up :)

• 2 weeks later...