RoadWarrior

Misquote alert! Please don't or the RSPCA might get involved :D

http://youtu.be/3wdHxyGcLoQ

lmao! :D

Well apparently the plastic adapters they sent me will fit... even though they are square... and the hole they're meant to fit is a circle... plus the fact I tried using a hammer to bash them in, didn't work. So I'll have a look at them again and if not, I might take you up on your offer Terks. I'll have another look over the weekend.

Update

Anyway... my car isn't black enough. Yes that's right, my car needs to be blacker... blacker than the blackest black soul on the blackest black night :evil: So, I've decided it's time to ditch the Satin paint (which gives a slight shine) and go for full-on matte paint. Plus it's given me a chance to repair a few bits with primer and finally paint the B-pillars (which had a black vinyl covering them).

So far I've done the rear and O/S - still got the front, N/S and roof to do.

S1_zpsef5b5d59.jpg

S2_zpsb552b2dd.jpg

S3_zps74d6c23c.jpg

S4_zpsd00323c7.jpg

S5_zpsfbf3c7c4.jpg

S6_zps548e995c.jpg

S7_zps07e814e2.jpg

S8_zps81762a2a.jpg

A bit patchy in places, but I can fix that later on. The finish is a lot better - prefer it to the satin.

Hopefully the weather will remain good and I can get it finished. I've also got a new Punisher skull stencil, so I can replace the vinyl logos I had on the rear quarters :devil:

• Like 1

I was just about to ask if your car was satin or matte lol. Iv read that matte can be hard to keep clean and you always see greasy finger marks. Im in the process of doing some rust repair on my car. Was thinking about respraying it in a matte or satin black. Not sure if I got the balls tho lol. How much did it cost im paint and primer? Also how much did you sand down the original paint? Was your car black to begin with? Mines yellow atm lol.

I was just about to ask if your car was satin or matte lol. Iv read that matte can be hard to keep clean and you always see greasy finger marks. Im in the process of doing some rust repair on my car. Was thinking about respraying it in a matte or satin black. Not sure if I got the balls tho lol. How much did it cost im paint and primer? Also how much did you sand down the original paint? Was your car black to begin with? Mines yellow atm lol.

It was originally silver - it doesn't matter what colour your car is, if you do everything properly then a colour change is easy. Matte is harder to keep clean as the surface is rougher than satin... but a good scrub gets rid of most marks.

I'm only topping up my paint, so you shouldn't do what I'm doing at the moment - you'll need to do what I did back in August last year, or it will look terrible and rust away! It's probably easier to list the process - bear in mind that my car is a Rat and you shouldn't do this if you want a professional finish!

Parts:

- 5 litres of military vehicle paint.

- Emulsion roller set (sponge rollers & tray).

- Masking tape and newspaper.

- Pot of Kurust (if you have rust to repair).

- Etch primer

- Filler primer

- Body filler (if you are removing badges, etc, you will need to fill in holes).

- Wet & dry sand paper (I used 800 & 1500 Grit)

(Total cost for all parts was about £100 - this will vary depending on how much you need of each item. If your car is relatively damage free, it might be cheaper).

Prep:

- Wash the car (quick hose and bucket job) and let it dry.

- Remove all lights, grilles, tow straps and other bits you don't want painted.

- Key the paintwork with 800 Grit (basically, sand it so it "roughs" the paintwork up - no point in sanding back any further as the old layers will provide protection).

- Hose the car down, getting rid of all dust and crap. Let it dry.

- Repair any rust by sanding back all layers and applying Kurust directly to bare metal.

- Use body filler to fill in any holes (such as ones left by badges you've removed).

- Mask off all windows, mirrors and other large bits you don't want painted. Make sure you cover your wheels up!

Prime:

- Use Etch Primer to cover repaired rust and any bare metal.

- Use Filler Primer to help fill in chips and other damages.

- Sand primered areas if needed with wet 1500 Grit (smoothing, etc).

- Repeat until you're happy.

Paint:

- Pour paint into tray (no need to thin).

- Use roller to apply paint in thin layers (don't worry if you miss bits) making sure you use even strokes.

- Wait at least 1 hour between coats.

- Keep applying coats until happy (I did 4).

- Leave to dry and harden for 24 hours.

Re-fit:

- Remove all masking.

- Put all parts back together.

The paint may appear to have a lot of gloss at first, but this will fade over the first 2 weeks. Whole process took me 2 whole days B)

• Like 1

Update:

Well these big bright red things appeared at the back of my garage...

Lights1_zps54661d29.jpg

Lights2_zpsc4bfa221.jpg

Lights3_zps2b09864c.jpg

...and compared to the black ones I have on at the mo.

Light4_zps71753b1e.jpg

I'm not sure if I like them. I certainly prefer the shape... might try tinting them.

Then I spilt toxic waste on the bonnet.

Toxic1_zpsd074f265.jpg

Toxic2_zps4a10119e.jpg

Toxic3_zpsc37ff4f1.jpg

Then this happened...

Crime1_zpsd08f3f0c.jpg

Crime2_zps8dbeb5a6.jpg

...and some more spraying...

Pun1_zpsb05c898d.jpg

Pun2_zps794dbc22.jpg

Pun3_zps429f1f6d.jpg

• Like 2

you will need a machine gun now like in death race :)

Funny you should say that - a couple of weeks back the bloke who came to read the gas meter said exactly the same thing :P

If I can find a way of building one... that can be removed when not at shows... then it's a possibility. Unfortunately I live in an area where it would go missing overnight if left attached - then I truly would have to do some punishing.

• Like 2

Update

Final stage...

R1_zpsb70f59fa.jpg

R2_zps5112f354.jpg

I decided to put a little white spirit into the mix and really get the toxic waste blending in.

R3_zps7c12cd61.jpg

Second skull is done.

R4_zps43eb0046.jpg

And the final product...

R5_zps9701fd7b.jpg

R6_zps830187c0.jpg

End result is very blotchy and streaky, but this should fade a little over the coming weeks - I'm not really bothered anyway as the matte finish is so much darker and more evil :evil: It's very rough compared to the satin, which was very smooth... so cleaning will be a bit harder, but I'm not fussed.

Just waiting for some tinting equipment to arrive (for the rear lights) then I can bolt it all back together.

• Like 1

Awesome. I bet this thing terrorises old people when you drive behind them :D

Haha, I've noticed a few people double taking in their rear view mirror :giggle:  It'll look even more evil if I manage to modify my headlight eyebrows properly.

Another small update - I've ordered a couple of bits off Super Skoda as there's a 20% discount on at the mo. Plus, I've finally decided on which alloys I want... and they'll look f****** epic!

• Like 2

Utterly bonkers.

On a serious note if you are using military vehicle paint, IIRC the stuff they put in it to reduce the IR profile is very unhealthy if you sand it and inhale the dust.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Car is looking awesome mate, nice job!

I was going to order something of Superskoda but when they want 90 Euro postage on a 50 Euro item they can get stuffed :D

Thanks mate - yeah that's a bit expensive lol. I suppose that's one benefit of being in the European postal zone... though saying that most of my stuff is coming from the US at the mo :p

Awesome, new wheels will be epic :) are you planning to sell the standard wheels?

Nah I'm gonna keep them for use as winter wheels. No way am I having brand new alloys drive through the snow and grit :no:

Utterly bonkers.

On a serious note if you are using military vehicle paint, IIRC the stuff they put in it to reduce the IR profile is very unhealthy if you sand it and inhale the dust.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Yeah I did think about that. I've used a mask for intensive parts and most of it has been done under a hose (wet sanding) so I don't think I've breathed any in.

would love to see this car on the road and are you going to the national meet?

I was hoping to go to the national meet, but with the car still overheating, I think this year isn't going to happen. I'm 99% sure I'll be at the 2015 one (if it happens).

Update:

My package arrived from Super Skoda today - new badge and grille:

Grill1_zps78a24e37.jpg

Grill2_zpsf60a5dad.jpg

Grill3_zpsb98ca707.jpg

Fitted, then re-added the bonnet bra:

Fit2_zps174d57e9.jpg

Fit1_zps2b616373.jpg

Bra2_zpsb9141413.jpg

Bra1_zps89be389b.jpg

Bra3_zps7304fb35.jpg

The car has now been completely re-sprayed and the paint has settled nicely.

Cans_zps4b150642.jpg

Rr1_zps806f298c.jpg

Completely unimpressed by it all...

Cat_zps89e11d69.jpg

...and the other half of the Super Skoda package - a few bits of Skoda merch B)

Kit1_zpse3b2572c.jpg

I've also received some new O2 sensors, so will get them fitted a little later on.

• Like 1

I was hoping to go to the national meet, but with the car still overheating, I think this year isn't going to happen. I'm 99% sure I'll be at the 2015 one (if it happens).

thats a shame hope you get the overheating issue sorted

• Like 1

Looks better without the bonnet bra. It might defeat the object but if you cut out the mesh in the bonnet bra it could look a bit better

Tbh I can't make my mind up. The reason it looks better with is because it makes the lights look rounder (top corners near the grille). Saying that, I like seeing the new grille and badge... so looks better without. I'm kind of keeping it on mainly to protect the windscreen, as a lot of chips are starting to appear.

Plus, I think it looks quite bare without the bra. Hopefully the addition of some bonnet louvres and vents will make it look a little more "something." I've just got to work out how to do the job... unless I get a special bonnet made up.