Park Distance Control and Columbus

fatuscatus

My only niggle with this fantastic car is that you have to wait for Columbus to finish booting (15-20 seconds) before the park distance control display is shown.  Is there anyway the PDC display can override the Columbus splash screen?  

My only niggle with this fantastic car is that you have to wait for Columbus to finish booting (15-20 seconds) before the park distance control display is shown. Is there anyway the PDC display can override the Columbus splash screen?

I have to reverse off my drive as it isn't long enough to reverse on and open the boot without hitting the house.

I have never noticed any delay in 40,000 miles, but I usually turn on the ignition before much else so I can program the address in before leaving. For work I hardly ever visit the same place twice.

But even when I don't have to program it I've not noticed a delay. I'll check next time I use the car.

There is a delay on mine. It is annoying at times.

I don't really notice it as I tend to reverse park at home and car parks, but when I don't...

There's no way of overriding the start up time, but I'm pretty sure my screen just goes blank and the OPS comes up as soon as it's ready.

Basically its a slow unit to start. Swapping the internal HD to a SSD will make some difference.

My only niggle with this fantastic car is that you have to wait for Columbus to finish booting (15-20 seconds) before the park distance control display is shown.  Is there anyway the PDC display can override the Columbus splash screen?  

I back out of the angled carport immediately after starting and havent been aware of the boot up delay - will have to check.

I do have to remember to switch it on when manoeuvring into the carport forward though !

Thanks for the responses so far.  Just to clarify, this only happens after the ignition has been off a while. And for the sake of accuracy, it is called the Optical Parking System screen and not park distance control as I stated in my original post.

I would expect the OPS screen to display immediately when I select reverse, and not have to wait for 20 seconds or so for the "Welcome on Board" screen to disappear. The audible warning occurs immediately (if something is detected)  its just the screen I'm waiting for, to tell me if there is something detected that perhaps I can't see.

I have searched through the forum but no one seems to have reported this before (that I could find) so I guess either it doesn't bother other owners and I'm an impatient b*gger, or it doesn't happen. However, Swmbo's Yeti performs in the same manner so I know its not just mine.

If that's how it is then we'll just have to learn to live with it. Like I say just a niggle  :)

I tend to put key in ignition, then put my stuff in the car do that I don't have to wait for it to start up before I can program it.

With the diesel, you have to wait, albeit, as short time before the glow plugs go out before you start the engine.

I haven't noticed it, as I need to look out for traffic and pedestrians when reversing off the drive, which is why I don't notice it. The ooooops is not of much help for me in that particular circumstance. :lol:

It happens on my Chinese HU too, a good 10-15 secs. Damn annoying sometimes when you need it and you have to wait for it to come up before you start maneuvering.

Have you tried leaving the head unit switched off? I only have a bolero but ops works when it is switched off.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

You are having to wait for the computer to boot up - just like your laptop/pc. 

The processor in the columbus is considered both old and slow now.  

An SSD conversion will improve access times but obviously not processing time.

You are having to wait for the computer to boot up - just like your laptop/pc...

I agree - this is a definite irritation that often prevents a quick getaway with a journey that requires a new destination to be entered into the satnav.

I wonder if the FL will have an improved Columbus? Faster CPU and eg a 60/64GB SSD should not be significantly more costly to implement these days than the old solution (let's be generous and say £10-15 extra for the SSD - although I'm not sure that's actually true any longer, but for the sake of argument...) I know every penny counts towards a car's total cost of manufacture, but surely cost-benefit ought to come into it too.

And the current Columbus seems to be advertised as having a capacitative screen. I'm not sure whether my 2010 version has resistive or a primitive capacitative but its responsiveness often leaves a lot to be desired, so would be good to see a more modern touch-screen in place.

Edited by prodata
  • Like 1

Have you tried leaving the head unit switched off? I only have a bolero but ops works when it is switched off.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the suggestion.  Unfortunately it makes no difference.  The Columbus still displays the "Welcome on Board - Skoda - Navigation" screen for 20 seconds before displaying the OPS graphic.

Forgive me if I'm wrong but one should NOT be looking at the radio screen when reversing but looking at where you're going and LISTENING to the beeps the car makes...  Can't say I look at my screen at any other time than when I'm at the car wash...  The rest of the time my eyes are looking OUTSIDE the car where I'm going and my ears are listening.   :kiss:

• Like 1

I think you (or rather I, at least) do both, ie watch outside the car AND look at the screen from time to time. Yes, the beeps give an audible indication of objects but it is possible to be occasionally surprised by where the screen is showing the most threatening obstacle to be, eg an un-noticed object very near a front corner if looking out at the rear while reversing (that's if you have sensors at both ends, of course!).

I think you (or rather I, at least) do both, ie watch outside the car AND look at the screen from time to time. Yes, the beeps give an audible indication of objects but it is possible to be occasionally surprised by where the screen is showing the most threatening obstacle to be, eg an un-noticed object very near a front corner if looking out at the rear while reversing (that's if you have sensors at both ends, of course!).

I have PA so yes have them front and rear with different pitched beeps for front or back.