Looking at purchasing a MK2 vRS

Evening...

After selling my MK1 Octavia vRS only 7-8 months ago in favour of something a bit more hardcore (Megane R26). My wife and I are now having our first baby. I had convinced myself a 3 door would be fine, but having looked at how large baby seats today I think I might have to give in and get a 5 door!

Looking at the MK2 vRS, after a great 5 years of ownership with my MK1. and hopefully able to trade the Megane in. I've stumbled across this MK2 vRS diesel which isn't too far from us:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201307257985159

Any opinions? I'm digging around for known problems and common faults, but haven't seen much mentioned about the diesel vRS. Any good links? This one seems to be fairly good condition from the pictures, although looks like its missing it's engine cover.

We don't do many miles per week, probably 130-150 on average.

Thanks.

Edited by ethos

We are in the exact situation and have just picked up a vRS. Mileage dictated a petrol but I think you have got it 100% right needing the 5door. The isofix seat base we picked up fits nicely and will make getting in and out with the seat a doddle.

Looks tidy, strange its missing the engine cover?? Not something you would expect to loose. It is from up the west country on a WT plate, Bristol way.

Someone on here may recognise it?

Seems sensible money with fair miles for year. Obviously nothing like your R26 for outright performance but a sensible option.

I would buy a petrol 1.8 vrs super smooth engine, the pd engine is very noisy I know I had one  sounds more like a truck engine. This would be a better bet for you with the low mileage you do. But try both then you will see what I mean. Something like this

bill

Edited by bill2

I would buy a petrol 1.8 vrs super smooth engine, the pd engine is very noisy I know I had one  sounds more like a truck engine. This would be a better bet for you with the low mileage you do. But try both then you will see what I mean.

bill

A petrol in our situation makes more sense, but being all the way down in Cornwall complicates matters a bit. Most cars are 250-300 miles away, which if I was going with cash I wouldn't mind... but as I'm looking to trade in the Megane I know it'll wind me up when they inevitably offer me rock bottom book price on the trade-in whilst pricing their Octavia at over the franchise dealer book price! 

We are in the exact situation and have just picked up a vRS. Mileage dictated a petrol but I think you have got it 100% right needing the 5door. The isofix seat base we picked up fits nicely and will make getting in and out with the seat a doddle.

I think I could maybe put up with it... to hold onto the Megane. But I can't really put that expectation onto the wife- it'd be a right pain for her.

Seems sensible money with fair miles for year. Obviously nothing like your R26 for outright performance but a sensible option.

I think it'll be hard to match the R26, in general. But what can you do :(

Edited by ethos

I thought the same especially when the base went in easily but then trying to fit the seat in behind the seats and imagining it loaded up with a baby started becoming a hassle. Add to that we are due in winter and a bit more practical power made sense.

as per wiilydog the PD bersion is best avoided. The injector recall was due to vosa and if it's not been done correctly issues can include getting diesel in the oil. couple that with the fact it was never designed to work with a dpf it's not worth the risk IMO. you'll get a newer petrol version with lower milage, though they can be harder to find as the diesel outsells the petrol by around 2:1

Just to add my opinion, having owned the pd and tsi variants of the vRS, if you can afford it, I'd go petrol everytime.

I switched from a type r (civic 3 door) to an octavia with our first kid, way way better in terms of practicality that's for sure.

Just out of interest, I'm looking to sell my sti and get an R26, heard nothing but positive things about them. What's your verdict?

Thanks for the replies.

Nobafett - They are amazing cars, however the running costs are fairly high and build quality isn't quite as good as I experienced with my first Octavia vRS. There are a few things that make you think "uh-oh, this is going to be a big bill", only to find actually it's common and most R26s "suffer" from the same thing. Some pointers:

• Looking at 22-25MPG in and around town, high 20s on a run
  • The black ones and dark colour R26's always have a lot of stone chips at the back before the rear wheel, this is because they sit on 235/40/18 (non-R26 Meganes sit on 225s) and Renault didn't modify anything at the front... so you get stones kicked up. Mine has some kind of a protector on the front, which I can only assume was put on at some point to prevent this (mine still has the chips though)
  • Tyres are £150+ per corner
  • Sometimes you'll experience it "popping" out from 1st -> 2nd gear, this just seems to be the characteristic of the gearbox, noted one guy I've spoken to who had this from new
  • Whine from cold for the first minute or so, again very common (no fix)
  • I personally find the clutch and gear change a little hard to get on with, the clutch bite is high with a fairly long throw on the gearstick. Has taken me a while to get anything near a smooth gear change

I was also stung when I first bought it with an issue with the xenon ballast, which ended up costing me £700 to fix. Mines in great condition, just had new brakes all round (brembo HC and DS2500 up front) to the tune of £600.

http://i.imgur.com/YvBTQRI.jpg

Extremely good fun, and I would recommend one. As long as you're aware of the build quality and potential bills. Let me know if you want to know more about mine... ;)

I've found what looks to be a very nice condition vRS, so am going to ring up this morning about it: http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201308128270967

Edited by ethos

Check the sills, pre-FL cars suffer from stone chips behind the front wheels.

Petrol might be a better chioce. TFSI seems reliable (touch wood) even with age.

Recaro baby seat matches the VRS seat trim :rock:

If I were you I'd be looking at an estate. The extra height will probably come in useful with all the crap you'll carry round.

To defend the PD

I've had a 2008 PD Vrs estate since 2009. Was a year old when I got it. Its now done 48000 miles.

Its not that noisy & is by far the best car I've owned. Its a keeper!

Faults to date:-

Aerial at 2 years (water got into base)

Injector recall @ 30000 miles

New DPF @ 38000 miles (£300 fitted, genuine part)

2 services / 2 sets of tyres

Damned good car

I guess you only really here about problems on forums, the other 99% have got no reason to say anything!!