Buying vRS petrol or diesel

Hello there, I'm new to this forum. I have looked at it a few times in the past and as I'm close to ordering my first Skoda I figured this must be one of the best places to go for information!

I tested the new vRS (petrol, DSG) this weekend and loved it. I know the spec I'd be happy with, there's just one thing thats bothering me - the fuel.

I currently drive a Civic Type-R (FN2) - so obviously I'm looking for my replacement to be around the same sort of performance. I'm wanting to save money on fuel and tax though - as I'm only averaging around 32-35 mpg at best. My tax is going to be £280 next time too :(

Anyway, back to my predicament.

Its safe to say the Petrol vRS would be a fair bit better on fuel than my current car, but I'm concerned that I'd still be using more than I should, if that makes sense :p 

I'm attracted to the Diesel vRS (I need to try one first though :p ) because of its wonderfully low tax band as well as the advertised fuel economy - but part of me worries that I'm not really doing enough miles to warrant buying a diesel (5-7000 miles a year).

Sorry my first post on this forum is so long and convoluted, but I'd be most grateful for any advice you people might have on my predicament :)

Covering only 5-7000 miles per year I'd go with the petrol. You won't really feel the difference with the diesel and whilst tax will be less, lets not forget the petrol is more fun and better to drive.

All forms of motoring are expensive, so if you're paying for it then you'd may as well enjoy it!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 2

Thank you for your replies everyone so far :)

I certainly know what you mean skodanorman, the fun factor is a pretty important thing for me. I suppose I'm trying to decide if the diesel will be 'fun enough' or if I should just go for the petrol. Pricing two up on the configurator only works out to about £90 cheaper for the petrol so even the cost of that doesn't help swing it in either direction.

I've only driven petrols, except for the work vans I drive. Maybe I'm starting to answer my own question here?

The general consensus of opinion is that around 20 k miles per year is when diesel power becomes viable!

I did a spreadsheet on this in 2010, even then with a diesel costing about £1000 more on a vRS back then, the break even mark was surprisingly low. About 4000miles PA if memory serves.

I can repost the spreadsheet if it's of interest.

Note, the spreadsheet doesn't take into account emotional aspects such as people liking more power :-)

• Like 2

At that sort of mileage petrol all the way.

You may only get similar mileage to your Civic though hopefully slightly better, but with the number of miles you do I doubt the diesel will cut it.

• Like 1

The car is going to cost over £20k. Don't compromise on what you want. Get the car you really want. Try them both. Buy the one that feels the best. The difference won't be massive in real life...

Or just get the petrol :-)

• Like 2

You may want to consider the finance as well. If you are taking the 0% PCP and not planning to keep the car at the end, your monthly payments are likely to be lower with the diesel because the GFV is proportionately higher than the petrol.

Having said that, if I was buying a vRS I'd go petrol anyday.

Am doing the same annual mileage as you at 6,000 - have had a diesel VRS for the last 6 months with no problems.

Loving the 50pc extra mpg compared to my previous 1.8 petrol Polo.  Annual tax disc is also over £100 cheaper.

Extra 5p per litre for diesel compared to petrol is not noticeable - fill up once a month say £50(?).

Mark II differencial between petrol and diesel VRS was £800+ - but I managed to snag a Blackline with all the optional extras for free which made this extra outlay easier to swallow (I would have ordered with rear sensors, different seats...)

Now the price difference between the petrol and diesel Mark III VRS is next to nothing - very interesting - I think the diesel would be the obvious choice!

The only criticism I have of the diesel VRS is that it doesn't feel that quick off the mark (smaller petrol Octavia engines might be sharper at low speeds) - I'm not looking to wheel spin start to 60 in 5 seconds but where the engine really shines is mid range grunt - and I suppose as a family man now this is perfectly suited to me.

If I had the petrol VRS I think I would get sick of the worse fuel economy and extra for the tax disc.

Anyways, petrol or diesel, you wont be disappointed (just think the pricing is quite steep from Mark II VRS which is a shame).

• Like 1

This isn't so clean cut IMO. Without doubt the petrol is considerably quicker and the version of choice if running costs aren't an object.

On paper the new TSi isn't alot less frugal than a Mk2 CR vRS and has similar emissions output.......however in reality I do suspect the TSi will not be as good on fuel as quoted, particularly if you are likely to use the cars performance regularly. I reckon in reality if it get 30-35 mpg most of the time then you'd be doing well...thats if my old Fabia vRS was anything to go by supposedly able to average 45mpg and averaged about 31-32 over 11k miles.

The diesel on the other hand....still an 184ps car with a stack of torque but has £35 year road tax and true 60mpg potential (even if its early-mid 50's still considerably better than a TSi) but of course its not as fast or likely as fun....i will say however that the VAG CR engines particularly the high output 2.0 TDi's provide alot of cheap to run go and don't sound like tractors....among the best of the 4 cylinder units available.

That's me being unbiased.....have a CR now nd next time would definitely buy a TSi.

• Like 3

This isn't so clean cut IMO. Without doubt the petrol is considerably quicker and the version of choice if running costs aren't an object.

On paper the new TSi isn't alot less frugal than a Mk2 CR vRS and has similar emissions output.......however in reality I do suspect the TSi will not be as good on fuel as quoted, particularly if you are likely to use the cars performance regularly. I reckon in reality if it get 30-35 mpg most of the time then you'd be doing well...thats if my old Fabia vRS was anything to go by supposedly able to average 45mpg and averaged about 31-32 over 11k miles.

The diesel on the other hand....still an 184ps car with a stack of torque but has £35 year road tax and true 60mpg potential (even if its early-mid 50's still considerably better than a TSi) but of course its not as fast or likely as fun....i will say however that the VAG CR engines particularly the high output 2.0 TDi's provide alot of cheap to run go and don't sound like tractors....among the best of the 4 cylinder units available.

That's me being unbiased.....have a CR now nd next time would definitely buy a TSi.

Indeed, I would bet it would be very easy on the B roads to kill the MPG to ~20 - whereas the derv wouldn't change. Also don't forget the quality CR maps...

hope you get a discount when the DPF is borked :)

Another oft quoted urban myth. A problem that was mostly sorted in 2009.

It's almost like you want it to happen (seen the EXACT same message posted here before). The smiley doesn't undo that.

hope you get a discount when the DPF is borked :)

Interesting one, I believe the DPF works better with the CR rather than older PD engines.  Touch wood - have had no problems.

If your driving is stop/start short journeys get a small petrol engined car.  My journeys tend to be a low number of longer journeys each week - will wait and see how this pans out over the next 3 years.

If I have DPF issues will defo not get a diesel again - if things are all OK likely to get diesel again.

Interesting one, I believe the DPF works better with the CR rather than older PD engines.  Touch wood - have had no problems.

I wouldn't know, my 1.9TDi PD100 doesn't have a DPF.

Something else to consider (and I am not saying this to upset petrol VRS colleagues) - friend recently traded in a Mark II petrol VRS with loads of lovely factory extras and the message from dealers was loud and clear "large petrol engined cars are not desirable" - therefore priced accordingly.

When you are looking to buy a petrol VRS dealers tell you that there is a long waiting list and in great demand - come tradein time there will be a sharp intake of breath before an insulting offer!

• Like 2

If your driving is stop/start short journeys get a small petrol engined car.  My journeys tend to be a low number of longer journeys each week - will wait and see how this pans out over the next 3 years.

If I have DPF issues will defo not get a diesel again - if things are all OK likely to get diesel again.

The new VRS has start/stop technology too over the current CR diesel - I would expect that this may prevent some of the soot build up in the DPF.