Looking for advice re selling and price

stevenh

OK, I am looking to shift my Fabia on as I simply don't use it at the moment.

I either cycle or bus to work and the wee thing just sits on the drive looking sorry for itself.

It also has a couple of jobs needing done which I simply don't have the time to do.

During the 3 years i've had it, I have spent a bit of money on it and I believe it is still a cracking wee car.

It's an '05 reg and has just turned over 86k miles.

I have just stuck another 12 months tax on it and it's MOTed for 11 months. Passed no probs (1 indicator bulb).

Since i've had it, she's had new radiator, new rear shockies, new battery, 4 new Rainsport 2's.

Mods: BMW red leather interior retrim, tints, mufflerectomy, f&r wishbone bushes replaced with Powerflex poly, in dash cup holder, polo rear wiper, elegance parcel shelf (with net underneath), Connects2 ipod cable in glove box, colour coded grille, pastyboy retro badges.

It is currently running on genuine 7.5 wide steels in great condition, and comes with the original alloys as well.

Now the not so good bits:

engine light on - code read points to coolant sensor - I have a spare one, i've already replaced before but light stays on - car runs fine so I just put up with it!

aircon doesn't work - regas? never bothered with it, just open a window :D

n/s/r brake squeaks when hot - I think a sticky calliper piston - due to lack of use - hopefully a quick grease up to fix

battery keeps going flat - I think i've gone and killed my new battery as I left it flat for around 4 weeks whilst messing around with an Amazon seller for a battery charger - ended up going to Halfrauds!

2 dents on drivers side - some cretin decided to kick/knee the doors when it was parked up - been quoted £220 to get repaired

It also has an OEM skoda roofrack and swan neck removable towbar (I know all about type approval!).

So - what do you think? Before I looked on here, I scanned Autotrader and thought between £3,500 - £3,750 as is but some of the cars on here are a bit low price-wise - have they taken a tumble?

Any opinions much appreciated guys.

Try sort the probs out. Should get up to thoes prices if its all spot on.

I am hoping to get around that for mine and its in really good nic plus has heated seats. Xenons and cruise.

Granted a fw more miles.

Eight year old car with high miles and a list of problems.  £500 perhaps.  This may seem harsh, but the market is flooded with used cars, why would anyone pay so much whne there will be dozens of better ones with fewer miles, no dents, working aircon etc.  Try advertising it at the higher price but be prepared to lower it a lot.

Edited by CitigoAli
  • Like 1

This is a low miler car mate.

Not that many with that. Most are way up.

Miles are nothing on these cars if looked after but the faults and prangs really do put buyers off unless price is super low.

p.s. I know it's relative, but 86k is high miles not low.

These care are not reliable at all and in my experiance knackered at about 50k. You then need to be spending loads of cash (or having a warranty) to keep it in good condition.

Edited by Fred44

a 8 year old car with 80k on is classed as having high miles now? After 50k they are knackered? :D oh dear, someone tell all the Taxi's round here they are using the wrong motors, all the PD130s with 200k+ miles on them.

Actually my car is "knackered" almost 4 times over! I'll agree on getting the bits done before selling though. 

• Like 3

Suspension was working fine at 130k when removed

Turbo went at 120k

Flywheel was working when it was removed at 140k while running near double the stock power though it

Turbo's are chocolate agreed but dmf/clutches only fail due to abuse or retarded driving. Bakers old superb had mega miles on totally stock engine and gearbox/clutch, as have many of the cabs round here. 

These care are not reliable at all and in my experiance knackered at about 50k. You then need to be spending loads of cash (or having a warranty) to keep it in good condition.

I understand you may have had a bad experience with the fabia but there are people on here are on over 100k miles with original clutch/flywheel/gearbox/turbo without any problems. Yes they have some common faults but they aint as bad as you make out lol. 

Ive just bought a vrs , for the second time, but this one has 90k on the clock, original clutch/ gearbox and turbo. I have faith! 

I've had a bad experiance and have spoken to lots of people in the same boat.

I'm sure there are a selection that go on forever, but I honestly believe these are the exception to the rule.

Also there is how people see things. A knock over a certain bumps somebody could live with happily for years and think its ok like that. I'd go mental and replace all the parts until it was gone. So what I see as knackered could be another persons fine.

But overall these cars are very unreliable and things seem to wear at alarming rates.

Even silly things like console bushes, rear windows, electric flaps for the hearter etc etc

Yeah I'm always hearing about people having rear windows wear/fail  :wonder:

I've had 5 mates with Fabia vRS, all well over 50,000 miles and all running/were running spot on (when sold). So these 5 (plus mine) are the exception? All young lads, all driven "enthusiastically" at times. Are they just lucky? None of them would put up with a knocking noise without getting it looked at (who would?!)

All cars have common issues, the Fabia isnt without them but things like console bushes are a consumable and have uprated replacements. A forum is full of people with issues, hardly a fair look at the reliability of a car. I wouldnt class a car with a few common issues as knackered after 50k.

• Like 3

Pmsl knackered at 50k, it's 2013 not 1993! If you want to sell me your cars at 50k really cheap because they're fit for the scrap yard let me know and I'll get another 100k out of them. Also mines on 118k original clutch and dmf and turbo. Suspension was fine but wanted coilovers on

• Like 3

Utter, utter tosh Fred, you said in your "experiance"

Well my "experience" is 105K and strong, feels like it will do at least that again with some looking after and due care.

My first car was a Fabia1 too (just a classic), but even with a lowly original 1.4mpi Skoda engine, that got to 70K and I got £1k back for it and we had it for 8 years. The standard exhaust lasted for all of that and the standard battery only gave in at 7 of those years.

Have you been buying used cars? You can't tarnish all cars with the same brush just on what sounds like your "experiance" (lol) of buying old sheds perhaps ? Really ****es me off when people talk about their experience and they haven't even bought a Skoda from new.

Or maybe you have just been unlucky with your new cars ?

What Kyle said above and I also have the "experience" of original clutch, dmf, and turbo on my miles as well.

Shockers are expected to be replaced at 50k ish, by 80k will be knackered, not necessarily the springs but the standard springs cost bugger all and you'd also be pretty retarded to not also replace the mounts at the same time. For around £200 ish self fitted I'd say that was a well worthwhile investment - expected on ANY car at that miles.

It will still drive (as mine did) just a wee bit more uncomfortable but still miles better than a Fiat Punto we bought at 40K supposedly, that thing bounced like a hobby horse.

Don't drive slow either, I owned some BMWs and Golf TDIs on the 200+ mile route back home from the SW :)

• Like 1

Ha Ha Ha .I bought mine at 64,000 and all i have replaced is bushes,tyres and some new speakers.Still runs superb,what a load of poo. Now at 85,000  :smirk: