Suspension / Steering issue

I have already quoted the sales of goods act etc in the rejection letter.

also remember that the sale and supply of goods act was amended a few years ago to put the onus on the dealer to prove that the fault was not present when the car was supplied, rather than the customer to prove that it was,this was meant to make rejection claims easier and straight forward

also remember that the sale and supply of goods act was amended a few years ago to put the onus on the dealer to prove that the fault was not present when the car was supplied, rather than the customer to prove that it was,this was meant to make rejection claims easier and straight forward

Still doesn't stop dealers trying to be awkward though. Still one well placed review will lose them more business than my car ever would have lost them :giggle:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The car came back repaired after a fortnight (new driveshaft and bearing nearside), some of the vibration has gone, however the car still feels wobbly as it always has, the gearbox is now really notchy in 1st and 2nd and almost impossible to select when cold. I took it back to the repairing dealer and voiced my concerns. Again it was driven, the mechanic didn't really commit, but then took the car in to check it over again. They then gave it back stating there was nothing wrong. The original dealer has refused my rejection stating that any problems are covered by the warranty. I have now arranged for the independent inspector to drive the car again and hope that he can feel the issues this time. At the moment I am still stuck with a car that in my opinion does not drive as it should.

I have noticed that when parked, engine off. If I rock the steering wheel from one side to the other (obviously it's stiff without power) but there is a noticeable clunking, either side of centre. It doesn't do it when powered. Is this normal or is it another symptom of what is wrong with my car?

My 2.0 Elegance estate on standard suspension and 17" wheels doesnt feel particularly nice at lower speeds, no vibrations etc but majorly lacking in feel, an obvious dead spot on dead centre and very sensitive to camber etc. I think its just the way the standard car is and the electric rack doesnt really help.

That said it improves considerably at motorway speed and weighs up perfectly.

Also what mode do you have your steering set to? I find normal way too light and exaggerates the low speed problems; considerably better in Sport.

• Like 1

My 2.0 Elegance estate on standard suspension and 17" wheels doesnt feel particularly nice at lower speeds, no vibrations etc but majorly lacking in feel, an obvious dead spot on dead centre and very sensitive to camber etc. I think its just the way the standard car is and the electric rack doesnt really help.

That said it improves considerably at motorway speed and weighs up perfectly.

Also what mode do you have your steering set to? I find normal way too light and exaggerates the low speed problems; considerably better in Sport.

Do you find that yours is very sensitive to wind at motorway speeds? Mine just suddenly wanders off so you have to concentrate. Also does yours sort of wiggle side to side slightly at low speeds? I have used both sport and normal modes, doesn't seem to make much difference to the way mine drives TBH. Also I find that while cornering if you ease off the accelerator the car tends to go off line and you have to correct. The Fabia I had as courtesy car felt much more stable than mine.

Edited by Leonblue

Do you find that yours is very sensitive to wind at motorway speeds? Mine just suddenly wanders off so you have to concentrate. Also does yours sort of wiggle side to side slightly at low speeds? I have used both sport and normal modes, doesn't seem to make much difference to the way mine drives TBH. Also I find that while cornering if you ease off the accelerator the car tends to go off line and you have to correct. The Fabia I had as courtesy car felt much more stable than mine.

I have this same problem with my car with cross winds

I described the problem here http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/309521-first-time-skoda-owner-need-some-help/

Also my cousin same car as mine and same wind problem and we dont have steering modes :(

Do you find that yours is very sensitive to wind at motorway speeds? Mine just suddenly wanders off so you have to concentrate. Also does yours sort of wiggle side to side slightly at low speeds? I have used both sport and normal modes, doesn't seem to make much difference to the way mine drives TBH. Also I find that while cornering if you ease off the accelerator the car tends to go off line and you have to correct. The Fabia I had as courtesy car felt much more stable than mine.

Remember the car doesnt weigh v much (even the kerb weight on my estate is only 1272kg.....considerably lighter than the 1420kg quoted for my old Blackline DSG estate) so wont help matters in strong winds....certainly helps straight line go though.

Certainly at lower speeds the car seems a bit fidgety and needs fairly consistent correction to track straight, the electric rack, lack of feel (and possibly a touch of over-assistance) at low speeds and a slightly dead centre dont help matters.

Personally I think its just a characteristic of the "normal" versions with the regular servotronic rack. The vRS has a variable assistance rack (as per Golf GTI/GTD) with less turns lock to lock at speed; probably aids stability.

I don't think it's geometry, the vibration has come back as bad as ever! I guess driveshaft no 2 is on it's way after less than 1000 miles! The car is vibrating / wobbling on corners. If you move the wheel slightly from centre whilst travelling straight it causes vibration through the wheel instead of altering the course of the car, there is definitely play in the suspension / steering just like I said when I first started this thread.

Edited by Leonblue

This is hard to describe but here goes... A normal car travelling slowly on a normal road, looking forward at the bonnet with respect to the road whilst going over bumps, it tends to bob up and down in a vertical motion. Mine tends to go side to side as well which has always lead me to believe there is lateral play somewhere in the system. That's why I was really pleased when the dealer thought it was a wheel bearing, that made sense to me at the time.

Edited by Leonblue

The independent inspector came yesterday. This was the same guy as last time. He drove the car and again could not detect the problems I have described. Strangely he did say that at first he thought the steering was loose, but then decided it wasn't. Go figure! The inspector drove the car for approx. 6 miles, at which point he said he could not feel anything of concern. He did note that the gearbox was stiff from cold. He checked the tyres and pointed out that they are worn perfectly evenly so it's unlikely that the alignment is out. We did have the ramps booked at the dealer, however I told him to turn around and drop me back home as it was a complete waste of time. He however did suggest getting Skoda to inspect the car. SUK phoned later the same day and decided to close the case as no fault has been found, they weren't prepared to arrange for their own inspection or contribute towards the cost of the independent inspection. I told them to note the fact that I still think the car is faulty regardless.

Edited by Leonblue
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Noticed a new phenomenon last night. Dual carriageway driving straight line in 6th gear, depress accelerator car moves to the right, ease off car moves left, steering wheel straight. Well everybody tells me this car is fine, so it must be official, these cars drive like crap!

Noticed a new phenomenon last night. Dual carriageway driving straight line in 6th gear, depress accelerator car moves to the right, ease off car moves left, steering wheel straight. Well everybody tells me this car is fine, so it must be official, these cars drive like crap!

To check whether this is just the effect of camber, have you tried it on a large flat area like an empty car park where you can drive in either direction along whatever slight cross-slope there might be?

Edited by Stuarted

... He checked the tyres and pointed out that they are worn perfectly evenly so it's unlikely that the alignment is out...

Not true.  The suspension geometry / wheel alignment can be out of adjustment and this need not neccessarily cause undue tyre wear  although it can cause all sorts of other odd effects.

Who is this independent inspector?  How did you choose him, what experiecnce does he have and what are his qualifications?

Pity you don't live just north-west of London.  Tony Bones of Wheels-Inmotion, in Chesham, is an expert on wheel alignment and has served as an expert witness in various legal cases.  Tony is a dedicated and highly experienced operator of top-notch wheel alignment equipment.  He is a perfectionist and even if your problem is not a one which can be corrected by geometry adjustment, with his equipment he would soom be able to tell you whether something was bent / broken / loose / distorted / mis-aligned / out of adjustment.

Edited by Stuarted

Not true.  The suspension geometry / wheel alignment can be out of adjustment and this need not neccessarily cause undue tyre wear  although it can cause all sorts of other odd effects.

Who is this independent inspector?  How did you choose him, what experiecnce does he have and what are his qualifications?

Pity you don't live just north-west of London.  Tony Bones of Wheels-Inmotion, in Chesham, is an expert on wheel alignment and has served as an expert witness in various legal cases.  Tony is a dedicated and highly experienced operator of top-notch wheel alignment equipment.  He is a perfectionist and even if your problem is not a one which can be corrected by geometry adjustment, with his equipment he would soom be able to tell you whether something was bent / broken / loose / distorted / mis-aligned / out of adjustment.

You know, instead of wasting money on independent inspectors (Scotia was the company I used as recommended by Honest John). It may be worth getting your guy to look over my car, although it's a long way off, a long drive out would still be cheaper than paying for another inspection.

• Like 2

I would agree with your last conclusion, for your own sanity, take the car to someone who comes highly recommended. My last car, a Superb II was struck from behind at relatively low speed, and whilst it was repaired to a high standard, it developed what I can only describe as chassis tremor at speeds above 30mph which I could feel through the drivers seat. Despite various trips to the dealer and it being given the all clear I was convinced there was still a problem but it was a company car and the lease company would not authorise a full alignment check as the insurance company had signed off the repair on the back of the dealers inspection....so I lived with it for another 70k miles, but interestingly, each time it went for new tyres, the offside rear was always scuffed off more on the inside edge, so I know there was a problem, something had been knocked out of line but did not show up on visual inspection.

You drive your car every day so only you really know if there is something not quite right, no matter how minor, but then you get paranoid and start to notice other problems.

If you plan to keep the car for a few more years, give it one last go at getting an expert to diagnose the problem, and assuming he finds a problem, take the report to the dealer who keeps fobbing you off, ask them nicely if they are going to sort it or compensate you and keep SUK copied on all correspondence.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Well SUK have closed the case, Skoda Finance have also closed the case, however the guy did state that if I could get proof of the fault then they would support me in rejecting the car. In all honesty if a fault is found at this stage after all this hassle I will definitely push to reject, put simply, I hate this car now.