The end is near

Gumby

Very interesting thread this. The main reason I bought mine was because the wife wanted a DSG. I wasn't keen at first but have now been won over by the benefits of a flappy paddle. Still enjoy a good manual tho. If she hadn't been so set on an auto I would probably have gone for the Ibiza 2.0 Tdi 140 FR back in 2011.

Have just shown the Wifester the TG article and she s now seething lol! I think we are now gonna keep it for the long haul. It's been mechanically sound so far although I do worry about the warranty expiring next year.

Can't see us getting another skoda if no mk3 Fabia vRS, although if they do a warm version with the 2.0 Tdi 150 lump I might be interested.

I think consumer demand as changed towards sensible green small cars you can't ignore how successful the fiesta is currently which doesn't help the already old Fabia

Edited by daydotz

Agreed, on the the Fiesta ST going to be poplar, 3 door and manual.

maybe not that green for it and a junior hot hatch in 2013,

1.6 T, & 182 ps , CO2 138 g/km

Five door Polo GTI with 180 ps

or 5 door A1 with DSG, 185 ps are already CO2 139 g/km,  surely their replacements will be making them greener.

george

Very interesting thread this. The main reason I bought mine was because the wife wanted a DSG. I wasn't keen at first but have now been won over by the benefits of a flappy paddle. Still enjoy a good manual tho. If she hadn't been so set on an auto I would probably have gone for the Ibiza 2.0 Tdi 140 FR back in 2011.

Have just shown the Wifester the TG article and she s now seething lol! I think we are now gonna keep it for the long haul. It's been mechanically sound so far although I do worry about the warranty expiring next year.

Can't see us getting another skoda if no mk3 Fabia vRS, although if they do a warm version with the 2.0 Tdi 150 lump I might be interested.

I worried about warrenty on my last vRS, I may now keep the new estate when I've paid for it, as I think it will be rare.... and I was looking up replacement parts on flebay... a DSG (new) taken of a new polo gti not working, and fixed, was £800, a turbo £280 , and about £300 for a supercharger... not that expensive if something goes... its not like it was £4000 for a gearbox! there are even clutch packs available for them now ect ect ... and I figure in 3 years time when ,my warrenty is gone there will be even more easily accessable parts (should they be needed!)

• Like 4

Agreed, on the the Fiesta ST going to be poplar, 3 door and manual.

maybe not that green for it and a junior hot hatch in 2013,

1.6 T, & 182 ps , CO2 138 g/km

george

The standard ST will give 197PS for short periods on overboost but I think the Mountune option is interesting. Performed by Ford dealers, full warranty retained, 215PS and only £599. 

Word on the Ford forums is you can get this thrown in with a bit of haggling.

BMW are doing some work on reducing emissions with the 1.6T petrol, you can have it with 170PS in the 3 Series, 0-62 in 7.6 and 143mph and just 124g/km (53.3mpg EU Combined)

Cheers

Lee

Wunderba,  

& no doubt VAG will have to keep with the crowd,  so happy days to come. Is choice not a marvelous thing., 

They were not really doing 5 doors with the performance & economy at the good value 3 years ago.

Loads of choice it looks like from next year.

Do you think that BMW might have something nippy, 5 door & with Auto as an option available for around £18,000 new ?

EDIT,

To answer my own question, i see that they do now, a few to choose from, Heavy Oil or Petrol.

You only need to spend several thousand pounds more.

http://www.broadspeed.com/new_cars/BMW/3-Series

http://www.broadspeed.com/new_cars/BMW/1-Series

george

Wunderba,  

& no doubt VAG will have to keep with the crowd,  so happy days to come. Is not choice a marvelous thing., 

They were not really doing 5 doors with the performance & economy at the good value 3 years ago.

Loads of choice it looks like from next year.

Do you think that BMW might have something nippy, 5 door & with Auto as an option available for around £18,000 new ?

EDIT,

To answer my own question, i see that they do now, a few to choose from, Heavy Oil or Petrol.

You only need to spend several thousand pounds more.

http://www.broadspeed.com/new_cars/BMW/3-Series

http://www.broadspeed.com/new_cars/BMW/1-Series

george

BMW's work well on lease or pcp where the high purchase price is offset by the high GFV.

The 1 series is quite a big car and the boot is a good size but cabin space isn't much bigger than a supermini, the rwd components eat into the space. The drive is superb though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsuEFEmoaWA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1XxHNIxa5Q

Cheers

Lee

Lovely,

what is really good is how you can get a used BMW if you want & they can be cheap as chips once they are out of Warranty,

or no longer being paid for those on the drip drip.

If you have a good Independent to do any work on them, you do not even to cross the door of the Main Dealers,

win win.

Lovely,

what is really good is how you can get a used BMW if you want & they can be cheap as chips once they are out of Warranty,

or no longer being paid for those on the drip drip.

If you have a good Independent to do any work on them, you do not even to cross the door of the Main Dealers,

win win.

Most new cars come with Service Inclusive (£300 option) which gives 5 years 60k miles servicing. Transfers to 2nd owner too.

i welcome the days of hot hatches the size of the furby and fiesta having 200bhp plus engines from stock with emissions as low as they are at the mo if not lower

but at the same time its almost as if the toyota starlet started it all off with its 1.3 turbo and now the jap manufacturers are making pants hybrids with no sporty hatch in sight

The 60 series starlet of the early 80's was a scream to drive, no weight (750kg) and Rear Wheel Drive.

You could drift it in the wet even with the little 1.3 engine.

Cheers

Lee

• Like 1

http://www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volvo_Cars

Volvo Cars no longer owned by Ford, i never knew that.

*Former CEO of VW of America until 2010 became President and CEO of Volvo.*

"However, a working system with a warranty provides the best of both worlds."

http://www.carthrottle.com/volvo-has-killed-the-t5-engine-to-join-the-twincharger-revolution

"Nissan went potty in 1988 and produced a run of 10,000 Japanese -market only Micra (Called the Nissan March)

with a 0.9 litre twincharged engine................"

http://www.motoring.com.au/news/volvo/four-cylinder-future-on-track-for-volvo-29235

http://wot.motortrend.com/new-volvo-engine-family-includes-302-hp-twin-charged-i-4-395441.html#axzz2cxq32BEZ

• Like 1

Read this thread with interest as a mk1 fabia vrs owner who has pondered moving on to a mk2 but been put off by

some of the issues raised on this forum.

I like many others would of considered a mk2 if it had come in a diesel variant however am i missing something

in the theme of this thread  when people are talking of a 150cr or 170cr engine  being great in the mk2 or mk3

(if it was ever made ), is it not the case that all that would happen is you would swap the problems of oil 

consumption and dsg issues that plagued the mk2 for dpf problems now widely acknowledged on modern diesel cars.

I have been put of buying a new diesel (any make ) because of the dpf debate and the twin charger in light of the oil

consumption issues and replacement engines.

Maybe a 1.6 turbo unit like the Ford focus ecoboost (180 bhp ) is the way to go.

• Like 1

....is it not the case that all that would happen is you would swap the problems of oil 

consumption and dsg issues ...

The only DSG "issue" is some people's attitudes towards auto boxes actually...

• Like 4

Twincharger is great & DSG is great, and those that do not like them or automatics, have no need to use them or buy them.

Personally i can not see where the Ford Engine is preferable over the VW one which is nothing less than wonderful.

Performance and economy both there when you want.

The 1.6T in the Fiesta ST is 182ps & almost the same CO2 g/km as the 1.4TSI when in the Polo GTI, 138 against 139

but in a lighter car with the 3 door Fiesta.

Funnily Ford manage to have the Focus which is much heavier and had the 1.6T Eco Boost 182 PS @

with a 137 CO2 g/km

Must be Stop/Start fitted or something that manages to allow them to have that as official figures.

george

Twincharger is great & DSG is great, and those that do not like them or automatics, have no need to use them or buy them.

Personally i can not see where the Ford Engine is preferable over the VW one which is nothing less than wonderful.

Performance and economy both there when you want.

The 1.6T in the Fiesta ST is 182ps & almost the same CO2 g/km as the 1.4TSI when in the Polo GTI, 138 against 139

but in a lighter car with the 3 door Fiesta.

Funnily Ford manage to have the Focus which is much heavier and had the 1.6T Eco Boost 182 PS @

with a 137 CO2 g/km

Must be Stop/Start fitted or something that manages to allow them to have that as official figures.

george

N o stop start fitted George and the 182ps quoted is only when you drive steady,when you put your foot down you have an overboost for up to 20 secs at a time which takes it up to 200ps. As soon as you come of the throttle it goes back to 182ps but the overboost is available again straight away when you put your foot down.  

Edited by hammer32

That is not what i am wondering about,

Its how they manage to get the heavier & bigger car to test on the EU Tests & show lower c02 g/km than the Smaller lighter cheaper 3 door one.

ie Focus 5 door Ecoboost 182ps  Titanium X or Zetec S v Fiesta ST Ecoboost 182ps

Thats something that VAG do as well when it suits them.

george

The VRS coupled with a DSG box filled a void in the market. At the time there was no other hot hatch in 5 door form that came even with an auto option. It can't be that bad an offering or else we wouldn't have the two other VAG manufacturers doing it, and now Renault have copied the idea straight from VAG. Renault with all their financial problems can't be too concerned about the Clio being too 'niche' else they would not have made the hot Clio auto only. I would be very surprised and disappointed not to have some kind of hot Fabia in the mk3, and i would have to look away from Skoda if it wasn't available. I do think that there will be a Rapid VRS at some point, and i would certainly have a look at one. I would not trade up to the Octavia VRS though, too big for me.

I love my mk2 VRS, nearly 2 years old, not a single oil or engine issue, and i can't see me changing it for a long time.

If there was a mk3 VRS, i would certainly have a look though!

• Like 2

I can't say I'm particularly surprised at the unpopularity of the Mk2 VRS.

The shape of the basic car doesn't lend itself well to a sporty variant, being narrow and tall, so they are on the back foot already. The Polo and Ibiza look better in "shopping spec", and the use of the "old" platform doesn't help.

Then add in the change to a petrol DSG engine and that loses you a lot of sales as well. I'm sure DSG is nice, but that's adding quite a bit to the cost to buy, plus the higher running costs compare poorly to a manual diesel.
Then add in a reputation for the engine being a little fragile and not something to be trusted when out of warranty and you end up with a car that's hard to sell on.

This hasn't been Skoda's finest set of decisions.

• Like 1

Why is it that the Seat, VW or the A1 Twinchargers did not sell as well as the Skoda has, that is hatch and estate.?

The 3 versions of the Ibiza, from 2009-13, Polo GTI & 2 Editions of the A1, with the same engine and gearbox and performance/economy, selling less in the UK all combined than the vRS did.

Must be a combination of their styling, pricing, engine and box, reputation,

or maybe just the lack of public knowledge of them.

george