Citigo steering problem

Jude161

My 2 month old Skoda Citigo was today towed off back to the dealer.
Last night whilst driving home from a nearby town, I experienced a few violent veers to the left, barely able to control the wheel to stay on the road.
Recovery took 5 and a half hours to get us back 12 miles. First person they sent (after 2 and a half hours looked at wheels, said he couldn't see anything wrong and could I not just drive it home? I said I am NOT driving it anywhere, so they arranged for recovery (which I asked for in the first place) another couple of hours).
Dealer say they will probably look at it on Tuesday as bank holiday, I found some threads on forums saying others have experienced same, service manager had no knowledge of such a fault.
Has anyone on here experienced anything similar, it was terrifying and if they find no fault (as others on forums have said), I will definitely be too scared to drive it again. Due to make a long motorway journey in 2 weeks.
Thanks  

Thankfully we have not experienced anything like it.

Most other reports are of a pulling to one side or the other but you say veering violently; that sounds very much like a differential/transmission lockup issue?

Keep us posted on the outcome.

Regards

Edited by Defenderben

City safe is the crash avoidance system. It is a radar type unit fitted up by the interior mirror that detects objects and applies the brakes automatically at speeds below 19 mph.

Picture here of it;

http://www.skoda.co.uk/models/HotspotDetail?HotspotName=Citigo%20-%20City%20safe&WebID=6acae8bb-c267-411b-9d43-ada59beff58c&Page=technology

Regards

Edited by Defenderben

It also has absolutely no connection to the steering.

There are a few reports of similar things on the up forum but I don't think they have found a definitive cause yet, my thought from the descriptions is that it's a sensor in the column that freaks out occasionally and gets the idea that it needs to provide assistance one way or the other, and tells the motor to do that. Problem is that once the system has re-set with turning it off and back on the fault usually clears and might not happen again for thousands of miles.

if it is a result of a strange signal from a steering sensor I doubt their will be any error code as the system will have provided the assistance it thought was required, so the ECU will not consider it an error or fault

still concerning, but this is the first time I have seen this particular fault mentioned, the sudden veering to the left

there has been a number of mentions of the steering pulling to the left as it think straight on is slightly left, and that one also clears on switching the ignition off / on and resetting the system and I think was resolved by a software update as I have not seen it mentioned for a good while

It also has absolutely no connection to the steering.

There are a few reports of similar things on the up forum but I don't think they have found a definitive cause yet, my thought from the descriptions is that it's a sensor in the column that freaks out occasionally and gets the idea that it needs to provide assistance one way or the other, and tells the motor to do that. Problem is that once the system has re-set with turning it off and back on the fault usually clears and might not happen again for thousands of miles.

Yes OK. I had wrongly assumed that if CitySafe was fitted the car may have had ESC (used to be called ESP) fitted. This means that the brakes could be independently controlled which in turn could induce veering to one or other side if invoked.

ESC = TRW

ESP = Bosch

Sounds like the EPS is getting a mixed signal, be worth checking over the steering sensor to make sure it's reading 0 at straight ahead.

But that's for the dealer to worry about. If you are concerned about such a safety issue a dealer has the appropriate forms to fill in with you and the case gets escalated to Skoda directly.

I had the same sort of fault on a Corsa. All of a sudden the steering would want to turn left. It turned out to be one of the torque sensors would go out of sync with the reference sensor hence the left hand turn. £1200 to fix and so we bought a Citigo instead? 

At least I have a hire car from Skoda Assist at the moment, which they automatically let me have until tomorrow as it's bank holiday.  I would imagine my car has just been sat forlornly at the dealer since Saturday morning, hopefully someone will look at it tomorrow.  Will keep you updated as to what they say.

I called to speak to the service manager, as fear, no fault was found.  I explained what I'd read on these forums and that it corrects itself when engine switches off.  Also mentioned the software update, he said they'd checked for updates.  He said he will speak to the senior technician. 

I fear I am just going to get the car back and be none the wiser.

If I had been driving at speed, I know the car would have been in an accident.

Thanks, yes I read that, sounds very similar.  The service manager says he has read this forum and has checked for software updates etc but nothing applicable.

A technician has taken my car home tonight to use for travelling to work in the hope that he can replicate the fault.  I asked him to park with the steering at full lock and then lock the steering wheel, I think this may have something to do with it.

Will report back when I hear from them tomorrow.

Very interesting article in today's Auto Express.  I hope there's not a problem with posting this scan of the particular page in question, on here?  Thank you to Auto Express for this article and than you to them for helping this lady VW up! owner too via their Watchdog section.

The "Owner waits a year" is clearly show but "for steering fix" was on the next page!

9615169438_a251bc1155_c.jpg

9615169222_1d522d8523_k.jpg

• Like 1

wow, thanks for that.  Skoda UK are now involved.  Technician who took car home could not replicate the fault.  I will now await further advice from Skoda UK.

Thanks for all your input.  They are doing all they can, so I can't complain about that.

It may be a VW up! featuring in the AE article but Skoda/Seat/VW are all VAG and the Mii/up!/Citogo are all assembled in the same Bratislava factory in Slovakia on the same production line.  More power to your bow! :happy:

Edited by JimmyR

Typical Auto Express. Big splashy full page article which fails to really explain what the problem is, or indeed any attempt to investigate how deep the issue goes. Press release journalism at its finest. It sounds from the owners account, and the OP of this thread, that this is potentially a very frightening fundamental fault, and they've given it pretty short shrift IMO.

<gets off high horse>

From our cousins' site

http://www.upownersclub.co.uk/forum/steering-pulling_topic1289.html               10 pages of stuff...

Glenn posted his wife's Citigo has the same problem: on 11 Sep 2012 at 12:32pm.

http://www.upownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic1517_post24649.html#24649

with links to trade magazine:

http://www.springerprofessional.de/nsk-liefert-die-elektromechanische-lenkung-fuer-den-vw-up-14940/3951600.html Don't read German...

So the VAG have known this is a problem for a year at least....

Vicky's trials and tribulations...........

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/251517-new-citigo-broke-after-1-hour/