Retrofit new Columbus

hkp

I fully agree if you bought a unit from a dealer then if skoda say it can be retro fitted then they should fit it. But skoda tend to frown upon retro fitting and usually don't allow it. If your dealer sold you the unit they should refund you unless they get it working

Allan1888 fair reason! I didn't think about that before..I feel bad for not telling how, but maybe it will probably delay the burglar a couple of months (probably hard to sell none working units).

If someone wants to have the guide and file for retrofit, I need the S/n from both the display and glovebox-unit and I'll check with Skoda if the unit is "green". (Bought as a spare part from dealer)

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Allan1888 fair reason! I didn't think about that before..I feel bad for not telling how, but maybe it will probably delay the burglar a couple of months (probably hard to sell none working units).

If someone wants to have the guide and file for retrofit, I need the S/n from both the display and glovebox-unit and I'll check with Skoda if the unit is "green". (Bought as a spare part from dealer)

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Please see my message in PM.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm let me tell you something.....

I was in the same situation like Futzelfupp from april.

VAG grop has a recycling program so everyone can buy whole tetstcars for parts. 

In Germany for example www.einfachtim.de  or  www.jv-automobile.d etc

fortunately in my region has more cheaper stores:

in Czech republic www.mihocar.cz you find the navigation system in interior / multimedia section.

and Poland has the most stores.

so it is LEGAL source to buy everyone a discover pro / columbus for about eur 900. with invoice So they are NOT stolen. but they doesnt bought as spare parts from dealer.

on several months I try to find the solution how can i make theese units able to operation with full function. i Talked about it with Futzelfupp.

And i find that solution by software. I thought i can HELP the community if i sell this workable units on market price. the units and the solution cost money.

i shared this link here./ too / and i've got pm s , emails that i'm a cheater , thief etc. cos They / you /  think its impossible.

I dont know any other way how can i make theese units workable, only if the cp has removed.

I think the VAG group doesnt fair thatswhy they doesnt support the retrofitting if someone bought parts from legal source.

Sorry if my english doesnt perfect.

Edited by latoke

• 1 month later...

hello all

nothing new in this topic ??

i have the same thing in Egypt i remove CP from the dealer then got navigation blocked and also the sound it too bad 

i can't code it with VCDS 12.12.0 

no long code helper available 

can any one give me long code for infotainment system & sound system to fix the bad sound ??

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

No one said it is impossible, but everything comes at a price - the price to do that is fairly high... Making it more viable to fit a Pioneer or Alpine instead.

Also, the guys doing it are either located in Russia or Slovenia... Not sure it is so practical to drive that far to get it done :)

I found here in Croatia guys retrofitting the units for 700€ but they said all functions wont work: like NAVI or phone calls, they only make the radio work. So whats the point of bigger screen if other functions don't work? Plus to expensive! Guys from the video above are in Slovenia. They say they can make it work but it costs more. :(

And not to mention no one will buy or take my old Amundsen for discount.

I blame Škoda for doing a crappy job. We all should have new MIB III generation in our 2013 models. This MIB I and II are shame! Technology was available back in 2013 for MIB III! 

But if we could start a petition demanding Škoda to by old crappy MIB I nad II for MIB III and open a retrofit program?!

Because this is pain in the ass! And the price was the same when we all bought the car for all MIB generations. That is totally not fair! :( Especially for us with slow ****ty MIB I. 

Edited by Croat

• 1 month later...

Hi all. I have an Octavia 3 that came with the Bolero MIB1 system installed (pre-owned car) and I am now in the process of retrofitting a Columbus MIB1. I just bought the unit from Ebay, and while waiting for it to arrive I want to prepare all the necessary cables and equipment so I can do it in one step.

So, besides the screen, glovebox unit, cables that are linking the two, gps antenna, what else would I need?

My car does not have microphone installed or bluetooth, and I want these two too.

As far as I understood, the Columbus has integrated bluetooth, so I'd only need the microphone to purchase and install. Can anyone tell me the part code for the microphone?

Did I understand correctly the bluetooth part?

1 hour ago, balaesh said:

Hi all. I have an Octavia 3 that came with the Bolero MIB1 system installed (pre-owned car) and I am now in the process of retrofitting a Columbus MIB1. I just bought the unit from Ebay, and while waiting for it to arrive I want to prepare all the necessary cables and equipment so I can do it in one step.

So, besides the screen, glovebox unit, cables that are linking the two, gps antenna, what else would I need?

My car does not have microphone installed or bluetooth, and I want these two too.

As far as I understood, the Columbus has integrated bluetooth, so I'd only need the microphone to purchase and install. Can anyone tell me the part code for the microphone?

Did I understand correctly the bluetooth part?

Eh? My Bolero has Bluetooth and microphone - are you sure yours doesn't?

Also, if you are doing a retrofit, I would surely get a MIB2 unit instead. They are much faster and support features the MIB1 doesn't, namely Android Auto and the Apple equivalent, which I don't remember the name now.

I am sure that it doesn't have bt and mic. I have the Bolero MIB1, and these features are only available on the Bolero MIB2. I would have bought the Columbus mib2, but considering I paid 500 quid for it and the MIB2 costs more than 1000, I think for now it will do. The feature that you don't remember the name to is Apple car play :)

back on topic: I have found that I also need the microphone (plus aditional wiring) which has the part number: 3B0035711B

6 hours ago, balaesh said:

I am sure that it doesn't have bt and mic. I have the Bolero MIB1, and these features are only available on the Bolero MIB2. I would have bought the Columbus mib2, but considering I paid 500 quid for it and the MIB2 costs more than 1000, I think for now it will do. The feature that you don't remember the name to is Apple car play :)

back on topic: I have found that I also need the microphone (plus aditional wiring) which has the part number: 3B0035711B

Maybe there are different variations, but I have a MIB1 Bolero with those features - meaning Bluetooth and microphone.

9 hours ago, balaesh said:

Would you mind posting a pic of your Bolero? Would like to see the panel of it.

Interesting - so there are quite big differences between markets.

I would assume the Bluetooth chip is in there anyway and just artificially deactivated.

Well, I am probably going to do a Columbus retrofit, but in my case MIB2 - I really, really want to have Android Auto and a large screen.

What do you mean by "big differences"? How different is yours?

The screen is the same oh both versions of Columbus, MIB1 and MIB2. The android auto/apple carplay, wifi and better resolution is what comes with MIB2, but as I said before, at least for me, it's not a deal breaker considering I paid 500 quid and a MIB2 costs more than double. I was expecting prices to drop considering MIB3 is now available with the new FL of O3, but apparently it's not the case.

Coming back on the topic: It's going to be a bit complicated to retrofit the Columbus going from my current Bolero, as I understand that the cables are different and considering I don't have phone preparation of the car, I'll need the mike and cables to fit it.

Does your Bolero have bluetooth? Is it integrated in the unit or is it separately mounted under the driver's seat?

43 minutes ago, balaesh said:

Coming back on the topic: It's going to be a bit complicated to retrofit the Columbus going from my current Bolero, as I understand that the cables are different and considering I don't have phone preparation of the car, I'll need the mike and cables to fit it.

Does your Bolero have bluetooth? Is it integrated in the unit or is it separately mounted under the driver's seat?

I can go and look - car is in car wash right now - but I would assume it is integrated.

As to the mic, I guess you don't necessarily need to mount in the original location.

Did you also think about the GPS antenna?

That one is less important, since you can simply get some generic antenna and throw it behind the screen module.

Running the wire from screen to glovebox unit is pretty easy - you just need to remove the glove box and you get plenty of space and access.

--edit--

I think the only thing that goes under the seat is the Canton amp for cars with that option.

Edited by Jaco2k