What winter tyre? Nokian or Hankook or other

ujtordai

Hi All,

What winter tyre do you recommend me, NOKIAN WR A3 or HANKOOK W310?

Which is the best by your opinions?

Or any other brands???

Thanks in advance.

(The current size is 205/55R16 LI 94 SI V)

Vredestein Snowtrac 3 or whatever the latest number is,

Ran them last year and the year before throughout the winters doing 1000 miles a week.

There were fantastic much better IMHO than the Hankooks  I ran before.

I also ran them this year in the warmer weather including 20 plus degrees and they still performed well when pushed and I did over 20.000 miles before they needed changing.

can recommend nokian as they are very hard wearing and great in the snow, had mine for 6 winters before they had gone down too 4mm, which is the limit for winter tyres

By the limit I take it you mean 4mm is when the manufacturer recommends changing the as they become less effective.

The tread depth limit is still 1.6mm.

By the limit I take it you mean 4mm is when the manufacturer recommends changing the as they become less effective.

The tread depth limit is still 1.6mm.

yes I mean the 4mm manufacturer recommended limit for snow tyres.  For Nokian tyres there is snowflake symbol in the tread which remains visible until the groove depth is four millimetres and once the snowflake symbol wears off, its time to change.  It's just something to bear in mind for those thinking of getting 2nd hand winter tyres as it is not cost effective to get anything 4mm or under.

This might seem a daft question but do you have to put 4 winter tyres on or can you just put two on your front wheels?

Put 4 on or you will lose the back end, as someone I know found out first hand on a corner. They found the back of their car overtaking them and pulled them straight off the road into a ditch.

After a lot of reading I got Avon Ice Touring STs 205/55/16. Got them for £ 65 each delivered in the middle of summer in 2011.

They are £55 today, lower load and speed rating though than the OP spec

http://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyre-details/avon-ice-touring-st-205-55-r16-91-h

H is 130 mph though(!) and 91 is 615kg per corner.

This will be their third winter.  Got me through deep now with no traction control. I can stop with hardly any ABS. My Michelin energy are useless in any snow.  For the price (and  they are British) I'd get the same again.

Ordered the new Nokian WR SUV3 for our other car this August. The W2 is well regarded and the W3 is the latest generation.  Avon didn't do the size needed for the other car.

Other tip is to find a local independent fitter, preferably a mobile one.

Edited by Web Ferret

Are you sure the insurance company will still pay out if the worse happens.?

I have read that they can use tyres that don't meet the vehicles spec as a reason to refuse but have no 1st hand knowledge of it.

You could try and cover yourself by telling them now, If they accept the information (and you can prove they did) it could help in a claim.

The VAG manuals I've looked at say you can use a lower speed rated winter tyre on the vehicle as long as you do not exceed the maximum speed of the tyre, so you would be within manufacturer recommendation.

Plus, if sense like that wasn't applied, you couldn't fit any winter tyres on any high end car ever, since almost all of then end at H and only a handful are V rated or more.

I love it ! Not - it was just a thought as snow chains tend to be sold in pairs.

Snow chains are really only to get you moving in snow and you're not going fast with them on.

It would be more like having new tyres on the front and bald tyres on the back.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4