Bonnet release broken

@Lee

Went to open the bonnet this afternoon to do my weekly wash bottle top-up, brake fluid, oil level check and general inspection. I pulled on the bonnet release handle in the drivers side footwell which has always seemed a little stiff but has always worked, so thought nothing of it. Pulled a bit more and BANG!, the handle became slack and felt totally disconnected to the cable.

I've had a look in the Almighty book of Haynes (motto; reassemble in reverse order) chapter 11, verse 5, ninth psalm and it says;

"1. Open the bonnet then unclip the cable from the lock on the engine compartment crossmember" (pretty cross member here ATM :(

"2. Working inside the vehicle, locate the release leaver in the drivers footwell. Unscrew the self-tapping screws, then operate the lever and use pliers to release the cable end fitting"

Er, what screws? I can' see any!

Anyone have an idea as to how to get the bonnet open.

Yes, I've search searched. :(

Many thanks :)

Opened!

1. Pull the bonnet release handle towards you to expose the under side.

post-73816-0-07244100-1379866112_thumb.jpg

2. Use a flat bladed screwdiver to release the retaining clip by pushing the end downwards.

post-73816-0-41982900-1379866175_thumb.jpg post-73816-0-36309700-1379866314_thumb.jpg

3. Grip the handle between forefinger and thumb and pull to the left

post-73816-0-89867100-1379866359_thumb.jpg

4. Remove the plastic trim that surrounds the handle. It's in tight!

post-73816-0-31953900-1379870322_thumb.jpg

5. The detached cable should now be exposed. It's likely that the ball joint that's attached to the steel cable has broken(it was in my case)

post-73816-0-32895800-1379866502_thumb.jpg

6. If the steel wire isn't visible, you may need to cut the sheath, the steel reinforcing coil and the internal sheath to expose the steel cable. Be Careful!

post-73816-0-64387700-1379866605_thumb.jpg

7. Grab the steel wire with Mole grips and pull firmly down to 'pop' the bonnet.

post-73816-0-00153000-1379866665_thumb.jpg

Hey Presto!

I'll buy a new cable from TPS tomorrow (~£10) and hopefully continue  this thread with a guide to refitting the new cable.

• Like 1

Glad it looks like a relatively simple fix  :thumbup:

Cheers, I think it should be. Haynes says to attach a length of sting to the old one and pull out from the bonnet catch end, string last, then tie the string onto the new cable and pull through. We'll see :think:

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well, the removal didn't go as planned so nor did the fitting of the new cable. Scuttle panel and wipers need to come of, mine were seized on! So, into Skoda it went yesterday.

Skoda list the job a 0.8 hours; two hours fifteen minutes later the tech said 'finally done it, that was a complete ball ache' :D

Turns out the cable had corroded and was a right PITA to sort.

My advice, take it to Skoda and let them do it! £72.96 with the VAT.