Warning on Spark Plugs 1.4 TSI CAVE VRS, (& CTHE)'check the spark plugs!'

They should not need adjusted, but they need checked to see all 4 are the same and what they are.

They used to be at 0.8, then 0.7 & now there are ones a member had which came at 0.4mm, 

so it will depend which plugs they are, and when produced. 

Ask the technician, or ask where you are buying them, then double check.

0.7mm will be OK.    But then all 4 should be the same,  if they come as 0.4mm and are the correct plugs for the car, then all 4 need to be checked as being 0.4mm

But not all spark plug types have the same reach.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/437084-peed-off/?page-3 

My bad here, i knew nothing about the VK20 Denso Plugs, never used them.

Edited by Headinawayoffski

• 1 month later...
On 23/09/2017 at 09:31, Headinawayoffski said:

They should not need adjusted, but they need checked to see all 4 are the same and what they are.

0.7mm will be OK.    But then all 4 should be the same,  if they come as 0.4mm and are the correct plugs for the car, then all 4 need to be checked as being 0.4mm.

Can you please confirm that the Denso SKJ20CR-A8s should be gapped at 0.7mm?

Daft question I know but what is that in "thou"?  I still have a set of my Dad's 40 year old feeler gauges.

They come Pre Gapped, so check they are all at 0.7mm , or if different then still all identical.

The are other DENSO for the 1.4 TSI / TFSI that now come gapped at 0.4 mm.

The OEM NGK Plug gap was changed from 0.8mm that the original fitment had to 0.7mm. 

55 minutes ago, SeaGoat said:

Daft question I know but what is that in "thou"?  I still have a set of my Dad's 40 year old feeler gauges.

Well 0.7mm is 0.027" (27 thou in old money) its definitely easier using metric or you gotta add 2 imperial gauges together . 1 Denso was different by approx 0.1mm bigger (so 0.8mm) So there could be some slight variances.

Edited by Kobayashi
edit

My son got his from opi oils, like others have said, they wasn't the cheapest, but guaranteed to get to get a quality product. They also came gapped at 0.8 which they have been left at.

Well I managed a few managed a few months out the denso’s and the misfire is back, As mentioned above mines we’re gapped at 0.4mm which at the time seemed odd but the car ran perfect.

Cars going in  to get lowered at the weekend so I’ll purchase some new plugs too, I’ve tried denso’s albeit thenright or wrong ones so it’s now time to try NGK’S.

What NGK’s Do you guys reckon or just go for the bigger gapped denso’s?

P.s I HAVE NO IDEA WHY IT UPLOADED THIS PIC

15114566724661993485590.jpg

Edited by Mickmartin

Best get the 4 plugs out and inspect closely and see what is what, measure the gap now and not just replace if all 4 are good.

What is the story with your car, CAVE or CTHE, all standard, how many miles do, and is it running super unleaded?

EDIT, read the old threads, Water Pump, misfire etc.

Best see what those plugs are like. The Denso should be OK if everything else is but another member had one burn out and went for Bosch plugs.

You need to be sure of the issue, not an ignition coil or anything else.

Edited by AwaoffSki

I’ll fire some NGK’s In it at the weekend and hope they work, just need to find the correct model. The misfire ain’t bad enough to fire up a fault code but I can clearly feel it juddering away.

Power wise I think it’s lacking a little so I Might have to replace the coils too at somepoint, It’s going to the garage this weekend as the N/S cool spring snapped last night (another drama) so I’m lowering it 40mm on h&r’s at the weekend with mondeo droplinks.

Heres holing it ain’t a damaged valve/piston.

Thanks for the help .....George Is it?

Edited by Mickmartin

The Denso with a 0.7mm gap work fine on standard or tuned engines, only hear the one member here saying they failed.

You need to check out the plugs condition since fitted and see what they are like.

I usually take the car for a drive, get the plugs well hot, roasted clean, then stop and remove clean plugs or hope to.

See the colour etc.

The thing is if your plugs are oiling or one is as you use it, you want to see that. Giving them a roasting stops you seeing that.

Do you use Shell V-Power Nitro+? If you do i would stop that and use Tesco Momentum 99.  Nice stuff at this time of year from filling stations in Scotland.

(Give the Royal Dutch Shell secret additive packages a miss.)

Edited by AwaoffSki

15 hours ago, Mickmartin said:

Well I managed a few managed a few months out the denso’s and the misfire is back, As mentioned above mines we’re gapped at 0.4mm which at the time seemed odd but the car ran perfect.

Cars going in  to get lowered at the weekend so I’ll purchase some new plugs too, I’ve tried denso’s albeit thenright or wrong ones so it’s now time to try NGK’S.

When denso failed on me there was no warning on dash, just a major loss of power, after inspecting there was a big chunk out of the top of it, (P19 on here). Not had any issues since with with Bosch for a year and now back using Platinum NGK's.

Also 0,7mm gap down to 0.4mm on DENSO is reduction of nearly 40%, unless they have re designed the tip to accomodate?

Edited by Kobayashi
EDIT
  • Like 1

Strange thing there is that those NGK you fitted are the very original ones that Seat, VW & Skoda fitted to the early CAVE Twinchargers, and that failed in many cases,

They were then upgraded to the ones i gave the code for above that still failed in early CTHE in some cases.

If the originals work with a Remapped engine running well then good, just a case of being aware what are being used.

5996b4caeb44c_NGKLaserPlatinum.jpg.ff2c004626d1cfb79d0f4e106b325512.jpg

[10756747]_1.jpg

2750701730_116401582.jpg

Edited by AwaoffSki
  • Like 1

Here is the difference in reach and the tip of the DENSO SKJ plug & the Original plugs fitted to the early Twinchargers with VW / Audi on them,

they were PZFR6R if you bought as NGK,s 03c905601A 

before Skoda started using 09c905601B which are the SIZFR6B8EG

Left original as one was burning out and could wreck an engine, and did with a few.

DSCN3559.JPG

Below, the DENSO SKJ that Kobayashi had burn off the tip.

5996b3e106f40_DensoVSNKGIR.jpg.b78f9be1afe81e8cf54213d2955755e4.jpg

Edited by AwaoffSki
  • Like 1

^^yes the right one NGK was unmapped oil burner, left was Denso mapped car no oil problem.

There could always be batch issues between different years of exact spec components (spark plugs) even though technically they look the same.

Whether they perform the same is hard to say until the user notices something wrong with the car. 

Then there is handling of components. If someone dropped a spark plug on the floor tip first, could it weaken it? 

What is interesting now is that Denso is now 0.4mm from 0.7mm. Has it gone through a re design, why have they changed the gap so much?

Yes you weaken a plug, or knock the gap closed, why i put the spark plug on the end of a rubber pipe and put in carefully and start off the thread.

Then VW / Skoda were fitting suspect plugs. Never ones to admit to their Quality Control failings though.

http://www.revotechnik.com/support/technical/14tsi-twincharger-engine-issues 

Spot the Rubber pipe for putting on the plug to start off before using the plug socket rather than just putting in the plug socket even if one that grips.

post-86161-0-43164500-1458043085.jpg

Edited by AwaoffSki
  • Like 1