Warning on Spark Plugs 1.4 TSI CAVE VRS, (& CTHE)'check the spark plugs!'

I'm due a major service within a month - it annoys me that dealers charge £269 for this but only change the plugs every second major service i.e. every four years. I'm just going to get the dealer to change the plugs (I know other plugs are better but I have the Skoda extended warranty... I don't want to give them any wiggle room whatsoever...) even though by the service schedule they're not due for another two years.

Edited by Brian69

Not been in recently to check or have a service, but

VW Maindealers did a Major Service on a 1.4 TSI / TFSI Twincharger including changing the spark plugs for £299.

Obviously your Warranty is secure, the Service Record is on the VW Computer System. 

(The service is the same as get done to a VW Polo GTI Twincharger, and the correct plugs are used.)

& IME a far better Customer Experience than at a Skoda Main Dealers where the idea of needing Spark Plugs changed seems 

to have them rub their hands with glee and think of the extra bonus at the Christmas Night Out.

• Like 1

The only issue there is that there isn't a VW dealer anywhere near me that isn't dear old Arnold...

I might not even bother getting the plugs changed - the first set ran without issues for 22,630 miles before being changed and I've only done 8,320 since then (if you take my two trips to Northants in 2015 and 2016 out of the equation - and they're unlikely to be repeated - my annual mileage is down to just over 3,000) - if a plug burns a hole through a cylinder I've got my warranty and the car has been maintained strictly to schedule.

Henrys up in Townhead have been pretty good / helpful so I'll probably stick with them - they've recently opened a service / parts centre on the Southside which is very handy for me.

Edited by Brian69
  • Like 1

I wouldnt be changing them at that miles.

(not in your car.)

Then there are those Dealers Employees that say Spark Plugs are Consumables.  & they are.

But then VW Replacement parts have a 2 year warranty, 

and surprisingly there are those that had new spark plugs fail early and replaced under warranty because VW were the ones 

that put a 40,000 mile Service Schedule / Guideline on changing them.

So you have a Main Skoda Dealership Service History. Skoda Warranty, and all the coverage you need.

Dont pay more than required and change your spark plugs, unless obviously some technician advises, 

and then Skoda can pay up under warranty on the Spark Plugs early demise.

PS.

So car 6 years old now Brian.

Minor 2011, major 2012, minor with Brake Fluid 2013, major 2014, minor with brake fluid 2015,

This should be a major.

The Air Filter needs checked, maybe replaced. the Pollen Filter is due to be replaced.

Spark Plugs OK.

Best discuss with them, the cost of a Major Service.

Because it is just a Minor / Oil & Filter & Pollen Filter.  & Air Filter if required.   £269 would be too much money really.

Edited by GoneOffSKi
  • Like 1

So my car is just over 2year old,if my spark plugs need replacing now would I have to pay for it or should I be pushing Skoda to do it under warranty?

Car has covered 16200 and has full Skoda history

Edited by pee81

It is highly unlikely you can have them changed under warranty unless the diagnostic carried out at a Main Dealers Service showed mis-fires.

Skoda / VW have the Service Schedule / Guidelines as change at 40,000 miles, but many say at 4 years.

Never seen that in the service schedule myself.

• Like 1

It is highly unlikely you can have them changed under warranty unless the diagnostic carried out at a Main Dealers Service showed mis-fires.

Skoda / VW have the Service Schedule / Guidelines as change at 40,000 miles, but many say at 4 years.

Never seen that in the service schedule myself.

Just booked mine in to my local dealers as my Mrs has been moaning about the car running rough in the morning and afternoon when coming home from work. Shall see if they can find any signs of mis-firing.

• Like 1

Misfire codes might not be logged, so be sure to say you want them to check all 4 plugs.

sharkriders needed replaced at around 10,000 miles in his CTHE as i seem to remember.

If they remove them and they are not looking good, or the one plug is not, then they should be replacing them under warranty.

VORSPRUNG DURCH TECHNIK as it was. 

If they have not learned by now, then what hope is there for VW, Skoda, Seat, & AUDI.

Edited by GoneOffSKi
  • Like 1

Have just replaced mine with densos in the fabia I've just purchased. It's got a full dealer history. Only done 15k miles in 3 year. Is a CTHE and the plugs were fine but number 4 was dark and the rest were fine. They were vw plugs that came out and I don't imagine the car has been driven hard.

Better do if you do not know they have been changed.

Keep them in order so you can share how they look please.

PS

If you know what MPG you are getting now you might see it improving once the new plugs are in.

Maybe best go with DENSO plugs.

Edited by GoneOffSKi
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Stuck the car in for a major service this morning - service desk chap assured me plugs would be getting changed as part of the major service (haven't even covered 9,000 miles on the present plugs).

Brian on collection of the car be sure the Invoice shows the Spark Plug part number please.

If not on the Invoice ask the Service Desk person to get it, and to check through with the technician what the spark plug gap was.

cheers

The denso ones you recommend are they the skj20cr

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at changing my plugs having bought the car and not knowing when they have been changed.. if ever.. euro's and sparkplug.co.uk give Denso VK20's as the correct fit but sparkplug.co.uk also shows SKJ20CR-A8. whats best to go for?

Will i have to set the gap myself with these?

Edited by DamoR

Hi,

I have plug problem too.

1.4 TSI vrs - has 91500 km (57 mil) - no problems with oil consumption.

Original plugs were changed around 42 000km because of missfires, and at 89 000 km once again, same problem. But this time we used NGK IR sizfr6b plugs (plugs were recomended by local seller).

After only 2500km my engine started to run very strange. We located problem with cylinder 1  and took out the plug:

V_F5_F9_aaaaaaaaa.jpg

Could this be a plug problem or something else ?

Edited by Sektor1300

NGK 96209 SIZRF6B8EG can basically cause the death of a 1.4 TSI / TFSI 132-136kw Twincharger.  They are crap IMO.

The issues were VW fitted crap plugs then changed them to other crap plugs and changed the recommended gap, 

and yet Main Dealers still fit crap plugs and VW never changed the Service Schedule / Guidelines.

Known issue, the OEM Spark Plugs are crap.

So what gap did they come set at and were they put in the engine at?