Winter Tyres on yet?

205/55/16 is correct for the VRS See below for comparison ref rolling diameter. 99%* of us VRS ppl when using winter rubber are on 205/55/16 as per Skodas recommendation. 

tyres.jpg

*= stats compiled in my head

Hello I have fitted these to my Octavia VRS. Any idea of the correct pressures to set the tyres at please.

Hello I have fitted these to my Octavia VRS. Any idea of the correct pressures to set the tyres at please.

Check the label inside your fuel filler cap - these list pressures for a range of tyre sizes.

(Still haven't decided whether or not to go for winter wheels and tyres myself yet...)

Edited by Ultrasonic

Check the label inside your fuel filler cap - these list pressures for a range of tyre sizes.

(Still haven't decided whether or not to go for winter wheels and tyres myself yet...)

Then add 0.2 bar - as recommended for winter tyres

I just need to decide on what wheel trim I want! Thoughts on these 2?

attachicon.gifTrim 1.jpg

attachicon.gifTrim 2.jpg

Think I prefer the 1st ones. I'm tempted by these for myself:

$T2eC16JHJIEFHReU,,%29iBSJw-FsVH!~~60_12

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NARDO-16-SET-OF-4-QUALITY-WHEEL-TRIMS-HUB-CAPS-FREE-TRACKED-POST-/161104212873?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Wheels_tyre_Trims_Trims_ET&hash=item25828f3389

weather forecast is gradual lessening in temperAture this week.

Just above winter tyre requirement so suggest this week would be good week to consider changeover although no pressure yet

Minus 1 forecast here tonight, had a high of 6 degrees today. Definitely in the zone for winters

Sent from my MZ601 using Tapatalk 4

Far from putting my winter tyres on I have decided to dust my old mx5 summer car off and use it for work this week, not driven it for too long and it needs a shakedown before its locked away over the winter.

• Like 1

Put mine on today highest it's been last week or so is about 8-9 degrees but at times I commute usually down between 3-6 degrees wanted to get them on when it was dry and frost free, still need another dry day to thoroughly clean the alloys before storage.

Good link that proves all the people that say its how you drive and not the tyres that make a difference are talking rubbish. Would also stop all the traffic jams when the weather turns bad if everyone had winter tyres.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/66692/winter-tyres-4x4-grip-test-video

Good link that proves all the people that say its how you drive and not the tyres that make a difference are talking rubbish. Would also stop all the traffic jams when the weather turns bad if everyone had winter tyres.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/66692/winter-tyres-4x4-grip-test-video

hi Niel_f,

well......the last statement would not be correct. In Luxembourg they are compulsory by law and everyday there are traffic jams. so don't pay much attention to that...

Hi ChrisRs,

know what you mean, but people tend to be a bit more cautious when there is snow (even with winters) on the ground and on  a heavy congested country like Luxembourg it reflects on even bigger queues than normal (all the people commuting from France, Belgium and Germany to work). yes, the winters help a lot but they do not magically erase congestion, they make traffic run smoother but all the traffic will still be there.

Hi ChrisRs,

know what you mean, but people tend to be a bit more cautious when there is snow (even with winters) on the ground and on  a heavy congested country like Luxembourg it reflects on even bigger queues than normal (all the people commuting from France, Belgium and Germany to work). yes, the winters help a lot but they do not magically erase congestion, they make traffic run smoother but all the traffic will still be there.

They won't magically ease congestion, but at least you wont get roads blocked because someone can't get up a slight incline. I've seen a carpark blocked because someone couldn't get over the speed bump on the way out.

They won't magically ease congestion, but at least you wont get roads blocked because someone can't get up a slight incline. I've seen a carpark blocked because someone couldn't get over the speed bump on the way out.

I agree, I am all for the winter tires. they make driving in winter conditions easier. and as for the 4x4 vs winter tires - I run M&S tires on mine - the winters will win hands down.

my only issue was the statement: "Would also stop all the traffic jams when the weather turns bad if everyone had winter tyres."

That statement is wildly incorrect.

This webpage actually has quite a bit more info with a bit of different brands:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/tyre-guides/36694/winter-tyre-test-2011

Edited by ruiatalmeida

I agree, I am all for the winter tires. they make driving in winter condition. and as for the 4x4 vs winter tires - I run M&S tires on mine - the winters will win hands down.

my only issue was the statement: "Would also stop all the traffic jams when the weather turns bad if everyone had winter tyres."

That statement is wildly incorrect.

This webpage actually has quite a bit more info with a bit of different brands:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/tyre-guides/36694/winter-tyre-test-2011

Think you took the context of my statement to the extreme! Its quite obvious that a road that usually has traffic jams in normal weather wont be any better just cause there using winter tyres. As others have said, I was meaning when roads get blocked because a vehicle gets stuck which is the main cause of congestion in the snow.