Removing clocks and replacing with iPad mini

that's definitely a fail now, it changed in Jan 2012 if I recall, the speedo is now a testable item and furthermore the illumination has to work too, the other the test item that came in on the same date is the trailer socket and something else too that escapes me now..

Odd as it passed last week. However that all depends ont he tester really doesnt it.

Yes, it's all based on the opinion of the tester on the day, I think when those new mot items came in it had a 'settling in' period where they would advise it upto march 2013 then after that date it would be a fail.. Just remembered one of the other things that came in on the same date, dust covers on ball joints, they need to be fully intact now where it would have been an advisory before.

• 2 weeks later...

GPS, as I said earlier, has a time delay. Those satelites aren't exactly close. 

Really? Delay?? Wow... how far are they? Like... out of our Solar system? Because AFAIK the satellites orbit at 20,200 km and the signal from them reaches earth in 0.06 seconds, which translates into an instantaneous speed error far lower than any WSS can achieve. The signal from satellites travels with the speed of light, you know, it is not carried in buckets passed from hand to hand. Furthermore, the speed of cars is not exactly in the rockets range to have a major impact on precision.

It is the position update that counts the most. Most GPS receivers have a signal refresh rate of 1-2 times/second. So it's the receivers that introduce that lag, not the altitude that satellites orbit at. 

GPS is going to be inaccurate/not work in tunnels, underground/multi storey car parks and narrow streets with large surrounding buildings. So I doubt anybody uses GPS for speedos.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I seem to recall one of the Lexus has a GPS speedo, with a wheel-sensor as a backup when no signal is recieved.

• 1 month later...

So seeing as the wife is fabulous and she got me a tablet for the car for Christmas I am going to attempt to make this idea happen

My tablet of choice has been a nexus7 with cell capabilities

I have been to the breakers and got a downer set of clocks to play with

So after grafting the tablet in to the clocks I now have the lights on the dash lights to move around and a cover plate to tie it all back in

Well so far so good I have a load of cables to get,

Obd2

Female usb cables

Some way of jacking a power source, posably the cigarette lighter, but behind the dash

I'm hopping in get a mouse working with it all to help with the interfacing, thus allowing me to replace the clear plastic of the clocks

And somehow I need to work out how to change the wake up settings on the nexus

• 6 months later...

At the moment yes but as soon as it's posable the answer to that one will be no.

U don't need to touch it at all for the speedometer to fire up, it's set to do that on receiving power regardless of any app that may be running. It's also set to kill apps apon losing power so that it will go to sleep. Again no need for any input other than the power it receives to be removed.

So the moment u start the car the system overrides what u are doing and starts the speedometer, and vice versa for when u turn the ignition off.

I'm waiting for a friend to cut some plastic so no u won't be able to interface through the steering wheel. Rendering no touch screen within the drivers reach

At the moment it has a speed lock that activates over 2mph so no playing while on the move is posable.

I am going fit a usb port (mayby in the door shut) and the only way will be with a mouse, or touch pad/ or maybe a roll up key board, that will require plugging in but is not easy to perform while on the move, Or something along those lines,

And I need to sort a secure folder for the critical apps so that these setting can't be changed easily.