Dash Cams

Have just decided to get myself a cheap cam, the Eprance G1W. To save me hunting the forums, is there an easy take of point for a ignition on feed from the fusebox on the drivers side on the Octy 3, as I have seen on the Octy 2 thread ?

Yes, just use a fuse tap into the rear wiper fuse. It's an ignition live feed. I have this done to connect up a multi point cigarette adapter for my mini 0803 in the front and a G1W due to be installed in the rear this weekend if it remains dry.

There's also a helpful guide by smeghead posted in a thread I started here for getting the glovebox in and out.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/338347-getting-the-glovebox-out/

Looks like I had my wires crossed .... no fusebox over there !

I will attempt glovebox removal (gulp) when the cam comes, I think I saw a link somewere here to a golf fusebox that mentioned unused fuse #48 is an ignition switched live, so will test with multimeter if I can get to it :sweat:

I decided on getting an E-prance 803 as it was smaller and would be less obtrusive. Some have said that you may get an 805 sent out if you order an 803, but as this was from amazon uk stock, I doubt mine will be.

At least if it dies/misbehaves I can get amazon to refund without sending it back to china !

Seems I am not alone, they have sold 5 since 9AM ...

Edited by Mr Grump

Looks like I had my wires crossed .... no fusebox over there !

I will attempt glovebox removal (gulp) when the cam comes, I think I saw a link somewere here to a golf fusebox that mentioned unused fuse #48 is an ignition switched live, so will test with multimeter if I can get to it :sweat:

I decided on getting an E-prance 803 as it was smaller and would be less obtrusive. Some have said that you may get an 805 sent out if you order an 803, but as this was from amazon uk stock, I doubt mine will be.

At least if it dies/misbehaves I can get amazon to refund without sending it back to china !

Seems I am not alone, they have sold 5 since 9AM ...

Yep, unaware of any other fuses on the drivers side. Fusebox is actually very easy once you've done it once. Just watch that video that Smeghead posted in the linked page (Note there's a night and daytime version) and you'll have no issue. I lacked confidence based on the manual instructions but his guide gave me the confidence that I was doing it right.

I love my Mini 0803. Lovely camera and I enjoy watching the footage. Plays very well in VLC even when fast forwarding at x8.

Main issue I've had is I had to mount it on the RHS of the mirror as otherwise it would block a sensor on the back of the left side of my rear view mirror (I still have no idea what the sensor does. For me this has had a few positive points and a few negative.

Positive:

Screen can be seen turning on to confirm it's working

Easier access to the lock/protect recording button to save the footage for later review

Less obvious wiring as it leaves the camera into the headlining.

Negative;

Stupid flashing light when its recording (Screen goes off after 30seconds) - Easily solved with a piece of black electrical tape which amazingly is near impossible to see it was added.

Gets slightly in the way of the rear view mirror being moved about. For me it's just the right size to not cause a major issue but YMMV.

That first Group Buy was done when I was putting them in the fleet vehicles and bulk buying.

As the forum now has a sponsor selling these (where I now get mine from) I no longer do GBs.

I would suggest the Blackvue 380 which does all you need for around £160-£170.

Out of interest, since fitting them to our fleet vehicles the accident rate has dropped by around 40% and we are on target to save 25% on our insurance premium this year. (£40,000 saving vs £10,000 spent on the cameras.)

It's turning out to have been a very good investment.

Who is the forum trader for blackvue ? I'm in the market for three units

Who is the forum trader for blackvue ? I'm in the market for three units

SmartCam direct.

Not sure if they are still on here, they were but the owner sadly passed away.

Not sure if family members kept the business running or not.

Main issue I've had is I had to mount it on the RHS of the mirror as otherwise it would block a sensor on the back of the left side of my rear view mirror (I still have no idea what the sensor does. For me this has had a few positive points and a few negative.

It if's same sensor as Octavia 2, then I asked the question and got informed it's to help the car know the 'ambient' light so the rear view mirror knows if it needs to "dim" or not :)

Re: other comments, I loved the fact on my Octavia 2 that I could have the "cigarette lighter" power source for the cam in the cubby hole on the drivers side... it meant I could also feed up a phone charger from it and have my phone mounted and chargeable on the air vents to the right of my steering wheel... going to have to re-think my strategy when I get my O3 if they're forcing me to pop the power element into the glovebox :/ :)

Edited by looking_to_buy
  • Like 1

Camera arrived today ... ordered mini 0803 for £58 delivered, got mini 0805 :D

Mounting is on the wrong side for what I had planned, and camera doesn't have flip vid option, so I will have to rethink how best to mount it for max discretion and good filming !

It if's same sensor as Octavia 2, then I asked the question and got informed it's to help the car know the 'ambient' light so the rear view mirror knows if it needs to "dim" or not :)

Re: other comments, I loved the fact on my Octavia 2 that I could have the "cigarette lighter" power source for the cam in the cubby hole on the drivers side... it meant I could also feed up a phone charger from it and have my phone mounted and chargeable on the air vents to the right of my steering wheel... going to have to re-think my strategy when I get my O3 if they're forcing me to pop the power element into the glovebox :/ :)

I thought as much so decided against blocking it.

There's plenty of space to route a longer cable if you wanted USB power on the drivers side but I can see how it would be annoying. Also I understand that the cubby box under the heater controls for the phone has space that you could slide a USB cable into which I plan to look at doing at some stage along with a wireless charger for the phone.

I've hidden my multipoint lighter in the space beside the glovebox which lends itself to a very neat and hidden install.

Guest Bettietheyetee

I'll have a Mobius with the wide angle lens for sale pretty soon :) my Mini 0806 has arrived

Yeah! I have ordered the Mobius along with a few extras a super capacitor,hardwire kit,.microSd class 4 32gb

I have just ordered a gprance G1w dash cam . It has some good reviews for a cheap camera.

Has nyone got any photos of removing the glovebox to access the fuses ? It all sounds a bit brutal to me gaining access.

I have just ordered a gprance G1w dash cam . It has some good reviews for a cheap camera.

Has nyone got any photos of removing the glovebox to access the fuses ? It all sounds a bit brutal to me gaining access.

There's easy to follow detailed instructions in the owners handbook.

Well, installed cam today ... glove box came out easy now I have a video as guidance, thanks to Smeghead   :thumbup:

Damper was easy to undo/redo ... I found getting the glovebox clipped back to the hinges the trickiest part !

Turns out my voltage dropper is faulty so couldn't complete the job :(

Still, all I need to do when the new V dropper comes is remove the dash side panel, plug it in and go :)

Edited by Mr Grump

Well, installed cam today ... glove box came out easy now I have a video as guidance, thanks to Smeghead   :thumbup:

Damper was easy to undo/redo ... I found getting the glovebox clipped back to the hinges the trickiest part !

Turns out my voltage dropper is faulty so couldn't complete the job :(

Still, all I need to do when the new V dropper comes is remove the dash side panel, plug it in and go :)

photo's ?