HID 4300k or 5000k which to go for?

4300K is OEM (VAG).

There are members on here that prefer 5000K.

A good source...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/hids-direct

Some bedtime reading too...

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/264447-hid-aftermaket-kit-help-for-definitive-how-to/page-1?hl=+hid

Edited by silver1011

As Alberg says

4300k are good but slightly yellow compared to the 5000k

I have had both in Octavia vRS's and prefer the 5000k's

My 4300K lamps do not look yellow in any way shape or form, either from the front or the light projected onto the road.  Maybe its like me being tone deaf compared to a musician, is my visual colour response curve skewed to the ultraviolet?  Or LondonColour supplied me with 5000K instead.  (It did say 4300K on the box). 

BTW, ordinary halogens are about 3500K,  and 4300K is classed as "cool white" so it may be a bit better if you drive long distances at night, rather than the full sunlight 6000K, which may be a bit "in your face".

Whatever choice you make you will discover a useful extra stretch of road in front of you at night.

This is 5000k although photos are rubbish when deciding on colour. For me it looks like as near as damn it pure white with no yellow. 4300k does have a hint of yellow but this does help with penetration in the rain and fog.

Go for 5000k IMHO

DippedBeam1_zpsbb04fac3.jpg

• Like 1

My 4300K lamps do not look yellow in any way shape or form, 

I agree

But my point is they are slightly yellow compared to the 5000k set.

Good pic above showing the 5000k light just how white it is.

The actual light output of 4300k is slightly higher than 5000k.

I just went for 4300k as it was the most OEM choice.

Very happy with it and doesn't look yellow at all. Makes other cars halogens look very yellow.

Phil

The actual light output of 4300k is slightly higher than 5000k.

I just went for 4300k as it was the most OEM choice.

Very happy with it and doesn't look yellow at all. Makes other cars halogens look very yellow.

Phil

+1

4300k produces more lumens (light output) than 5000k.

its more effective on wet roads, i.e. rainy conditions.

and also in foggy conditions.

the 5000k does produce a nice whiter crisp light though.

stay away from 6000k.  utterly crap when it comes to practicality.

anything with a blue tingy = stay clear

• Like 2

Jusy to clarify to members posting the 4300 kit is not yellow.

It was never stated they were yellow.

It was stated and is a fact that the 5000 kit has a much whiter light output when compared tot he 4300.

Great, think I may go for 4300k if they are better in the wet. I am going to order some from London Colour and get the garage down the road to sort out the coding with VCDS. My car is a 10 plate, do you think they will work OK in this?

Cheers

Great, think I may go for 4300k if they are better in the wet. I am going to order some from London Colour and get the garage down the road to sort out the coding with VCDS. My car is a 10 plate, do you think they will work OK in this?

Cheers

They will work perfect.

I still say the 5000k kit is whiter light to be honest and as for 4300 being better in the wet..!!!  :think:

Tempted to get one these kits, I've got an MY08 pre-fl, would a 4300k kit from london colour go straight in, or is there some set up in the cars system that would need changing as well...      

Tempted to get one these kits, I've got an MY08 pre-fl, would a 4300k kit from london colour go straight in, or is there some set up in the cars system that would need changing as well...      

You need to buy the non-canbus kit then program the car with VCDS to tell it has xenons to avoid any bulb warnings.

Phil

• Like 1

I agree

But my point is they are slightly yellow compared to the 5000k set.

I don't think the 4300K is yellow at all, it is less blue - I do think the 5000K is slightly blueish. 

Just like the washing powder when small amounts of blue were added to cause a fluorescence, which deceived the eye it was cleaner by adding reflectivity.

If you drive for long distances at night, I think the less harsh whiteness of the 4300K is better.  Maybe for shorter distances, the "super" brightness of the 5000K may suit. 

Maybe its down to age?  Or even personal preference?  Or the physiology of an individual's eyes?  Or neurons and synapses?

I don't think anyone can say one is somehow objectively better. 

We're a bit into philosophy now.  How can we share each others sensuous* experiences....?

Anyway, does it really matter?  We all agree that HID's, even my dim yellow 4300K ones, are massively better than any reasonable alternative.

*in the "via the senses" meaning, rather than any erotic interpretation.

There is a reason Skoda chose 4300K. I don't know what it is but it was enough for me.

I wanted maximum light output, not one that looked better.

Since I use my headlights the most during the winter months, which are generally rainy or foggy then I'm glad I chose 4300K.

Either way a 4300K or 5000K kit is a huge improvement over halogen.

Edited by silver1011

It was stated and is a fact that the 5000 kit has a much whiter light output when compared tot he 4300.

the 5000k does NOT have more light output than 4300k.

do a google seach - "4300k vs 5000k", and u'll find plenty of threads that show 4300k has more usable light output.

Research and development has shown that the 4300K produces the best light output which is about 3200 lumens. That is why OEM cars utilize the 4300K HIDs. The 6000K HID produces about 2800 lumens of light.

4300k HID Bulbs

Lumen output: 3200 usable lumens

5000k HID Bulbs

Lumen output: 3000 usable lumens

6000k HID Bulbs

Lumen output: 2800 usable lumens

8000k HID Bulbs

Lumen output: 2500 usable lumens

here is the link.

The colour temparature is measured in Kelvin(K)

The brightness is measured in lumens

The intensity is measured in Candela

Edited by JR RS

the 5000k does NOT have more light output than 4300k.

Oh Good Lord.

When did I ever state that the 5000k has more light output?

I did say it was WHITER than the 4300 kit which to me and a few of my mates agree that when light is whiter it is actually easier to drive with in the dark.

Edited by vectra1

You have all been a great help but whats the difference?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330379335700?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270591725356?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

The technical data for these are different. Which one do I go for as they are both London Colour?

I have 2 Octavias, one with a 4300k kit, and other with a 5000k kit. The 4300k absolutely certainly throws the better light. The 5000k is slightly whiter, to the point of having an ever so slightly bluish tinge, but believe me the 4300k are white enough, and certainly not any sign of yellow as in halogen bulbs.

Go for 35W and get the car coded, as the 50W units cannot fit completely inside the headlight units.

Hope this helps

Mike

Only relevant to pre fl model as the 35w won't fit inside the fl headlamp.

The slimline ballasts will -- I fitted some to a friends 12 plate Octavia FL VRS not that long ago, and everything went inside the headlights.

Mike

So now you're dropping your friends in it too,Mike?

They're illegal, don't you know? ;)