Not annoying at all. I barely notice it and it's only present on rough road surfaces so I guess not more than 90% of the time   :D

Seriously I don't know what all the fuzz is about. I would buy it again in a heartbeat.

• Like 1

Never noticed the noise that other owner's mention either in the Octy 2 or the new car. Being of a "certain age" maybe my hearing isn't quite as sensitive, although family who have been in the car are not aware of a booming noise either.

I've been reading this thread with interest, because my mk2 Octavia VRS also suffered from this boom in the cabin at certain speeds. Sounds like some faulty design element has carried forward to the new model.

The Mk2 was due to rear door/window seals.

Have been in the back seat of quite a few Skodas I think they all have this boom to a certain extent depending on the aforementioned things. My inlaws Roomster seams to be the most noticeable.

Even wonder why all Skoda can't travel with the rear windows down without the helicopter buffeting noise?

Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Tapatalk

My Elegance estate on standard suspension, 17's and with spare wheel definitely does not have a boom.

I will say that after having a few VW Golfs that Skoda definitely do not sound deaden their cars as well as the equivalent VW but there is a huge NVH improvement between the Mk2 and Mk3; my 2013 vRS TDi estate droned terribly on poor road surfaces; ride wasnt v good either, the newer standard suspended car doesnt handle as well but a million times quieter and more comfortable for whiling away motorway miles.

Hi All

Last week I took delivery of a new Octavia vrs and I also have this terrible noise. So it has gone to my local dealer to try and sort it out. They thought initially it might be that some packing blocks were left in the suspension from when it was delivered. but after checking this was not the case. The latest thought is that it could be the tyres. The car came with continental tyres which are apparently quite a hard tyre. so they are now going to test my car with some other tyres to see if that makes a difference.I have an Octavia 1.4 petrol  now as a courtesy car with different tyres. This car has a similar  noise when being driven  but far less than mine so much so you could probably live with it. I will update the outcome with you later 

I've read this thread quite a lot but couldn't work out what the noise could be. However, I went with a few lads to the Isle of Man last week and one had a Cayman. We took it for a blast on the mountain road, but on the way out of town where the road was rough there was a constant booming noise when the rear wheels hit these undulations. Very similar to that of having a window open at high speed but this was at 20mph(ish).

Maybe shape of the cabin? Maybe a stiffer suspension? Either way, very very annoying!!

Hopefully mine doesn't come with the Skoda 'boom pack'!

hi all. 

I have this problem and I reported yesterday my Skoda dealer in Spain. 

In my case, and thanks to a Briskoda user, I found that the problem is removed when you close the tailgate wrong. Therefore, it is clearly a bad design of it, and I would seem odd that a different suspension solve it. 

My dealer had another customer who complains about the noise, but they did not know it was due. Now when I indicate it, have been more relaxed and will report these cases to Skoda Spain. 

I hope we get a solution, but I see quite complicated. 

In my case, only occasionally circle for some cobbled street, but if I had to do it often, I would have to demand an immediate solution, because when you circulate on cobblestones, the sound is unbearable. 

Driving with the trunk without closing the rule of all time XD

I took delivery of a 1.6 tdi Elegance estate with panoramic roof as a company car mid March. I too have had this problem from day one, at the moment i have not reported to the dealer.

I am a service engineer and carry a full boot of spare parts and tools.

Below are various things i've noticed:-

Car boot empty - noise is prominent.

Car boot full - noise is less prominent.

Sunroof open on tilt and boot empty - noise is unbearable (Have to close sunroof )

Sunroof open on tilt and boot full - noise is less prominent and bearable.

When you drive at 30 mph over the new beige colour road surface in front of traffic lights or pedestrian crossings the noise and vibration in the car is unbelievable.

I'm hoping this is going to go away after a few thousand miles but seems highly unlikely. Seems to me like there a fault with suspension or tyres  not balanced.

Yes im Thinking suspension to. i think the noise would be different if it were tyres. but having said that im awaiting Skodas decision on replaceing my tyres, Then i can maybe rule out that as a cause

• Like 1

I have been following this thread for a while and debating whether what I have found with my Octy II FL is relevant. Given that the tailgate seems to be a possible cause I think it may be worth mentioning. I had problems with what I eventually found to be tailgate movement causing rattles and noises from the back of the car 12 months ago. To cut a long story short I found that by turning the rubber adjusters on the tailgate by half to one full turn, as mentioned earlier in this thread, the noise was reduced but not eliminated. However when messing around one day I decided to stick two squares of velcro, the softer strip not the rough strip, on the metal sill where the rubber adjusters make contact with the sill. I found this stopped all noises from the back. Perhaps of more relevance to your issues, I had thought recently that there had been an increase in boominess from the back and was debating fitting two new tyres. However, by chance I also noticed that the two pieces of velcro had moved out of position, caused I guess by movement of the tailgate, so I replaced the two pieces. The result was a very noticeable decrease in all noise, particularly on rough surfaces, and the car is almost silent around town on all surfaces and I am certainly not replacing the tyres now. I know this may be a long shot but maybe one of you might want to try it. I had done nothing else to my car to affect the noise so I assume there has to be a connection. Sorry if its turns out to be waste of time! Bear in mind of course the tailgate will need more of a slam but you get used to that. I got the velcro from Tesco.

• Like 2

Think I might try some simple modifications myself, thanks for the suggestions. I' m getting the impression from other posters on this thread that Skoda seem to be fobbing this problem off. This needs resolving surely, if I have to live with this problem for the next 3 years / 100,000 miles, then this will be my first and last Skoda. Shame really because the car is very good to look at and be in and attracts admiration from other drivers. I chose this car over a VW Touran or VW Passat estate both owned before as company cars and only ever visited the dealer when services were due. I will be getting in touch with my local dealer to give them the chance to fix this but wont be fobbed off with no fault found etc.

Email Auto Express magazine, and send them this link. I can't comment yet as haven't got mine yet.

Auto Express have already reported on this and confirmed it is "normal" on a vRS!! What a load of old codswollop!!!

Auto Express have already reported on this and confirmed it is "normal" on a vRS!! What a load of old codswollop!!!

Yep, can't be normal as mine doesn't do it.

I have been following this thread for a while and debating whether what I have found with my Octy II FL is relevant. Given that the tailgate seems to be a possible cause I think it may be worth mentioning. I had problems with what I eventually found to be tailgate movement causing rattles and noises from the back of the car 12 months ago. To cut a long story short I found that by turning the rubber adjusters on the tailgate by half to one full turn, as mentioned earlier in this thread, the noise was reduced but not eliminated. However when messing around one day I decided to stick two squares of velcro, the softer strip not the rough strip, on the metal sill where the rubber adjusters make contact with the sill. I found this stopped all noises from the back. Perhaps of more relevance to your issues, I had thought recently that there had been an increase in boominess from the back and was debating fitting two new tyres. However, by chance I also noticed that the two pieces of velcro had moved out of position, caused I guess by movement of the tailgate, so I replaced the two pieces. The result was a very noticeable decrease in all noise, particularly on rough surfaces, and the car is almost silent around town on all surfaces and I am certainly not replacing the tyres now. I know this may be a long shot but maybe one of you might want to try it. I had done nothing else to my car to affect the noise so I assume there has to be a connection. Sorry if its turns out to be waste of time! Bear in mind of course the tailgate will need more of a slam but you get used to that. I got the velcro from Tesco.

Any chance you could take a photo ofthis for clarity please? Sounds like an interesting and cheap fix though!

Thanks

Sorry, I'm not tech savvy enough to post pictures, but if you look at the third picture in post 87 of this thread, you will see the rubber adjusters I'm talking about.  When you close the tailgate these rest against the metal sill across the base of the tailgate (you can usually see a mark where they make contact).  I adjusted them outwards by turning them and then I simply stuck a square of velcro where contact is made on that sill. I ended up putting two pieces, one over the other, on each side. As I said in my earlier post, I hardly get any noise or vibration driving over coarse or broken tarmac in town, beyond some faint road noise (thought there's more noise on some motorway surfaces at speed, but that seems common to many cars). However, I had noticed boominess from the back had escalated again before I realised the velcro had moved out of position. Replacing it quietened this down again, unlikely as it may seem. I actually waited a few days before posting on this thread to make sure I wasn't imagining it! Whilst I'm still not totally convinced the issues you are experiencing are the same, I just thought it may nevertheless be worth a try. I hope this helps a bit.

• Like 1

Sorry, I'm not tech savvy enough to post pictures, but if you look at the third picture in post 87 of this thread, you will see the rubber adjusters I'm talking about.  When you close the tailgate these rest against the metal sill across the base of the tailgate (you can usually see a mark where they make contact).  I adjusted them outwards by turning them and then I simply stuck a square of velcro where contact is made on that sill. I ended up putting two pieces, one over the other, on each side. As I said in my earlier post, I hardly get any noise or vibration driving over coarse or broken tarmac in town, beyond some faint road noise (thought there's more noise on some motorway surfaces at speed, but that seems common to many cars). However, I had noticed boominess from the back had escalated again before I realised the velcro had moved out of position. Replacing it quietened this down again, unlikely as it may seem. I actually waited a few days before posting on this thread to make sure I wasn't imagining it! Whilst I'm still not totally convinced the issues you are experiencing are the same, I just thought it may nevertheless be worth a try. I hope this helps a bit.

Thanks; yes that does help a bit. I had in my mind the ones on the side of the tailgate that can also be adjusted. I'll adjust and try some sort of velcro/padded bit there as well and see how that helps. Thanks for the input - fingers crossed this can help.

Deal Breaker

I drove a vRS 162 DSG sedan yesterday while my wife's Roomster was having its first service.  I noticed the rear suspension boom in the first kilometre, and found it intrusive and toally annoying by the end of the day.  I mentioned it to the dealer and they told me that the car was an early production build bought into Australia for the launch.  Reading through this thread it is clear that this is an current and ongoing problem.

I am seriously considering a vRS Estate, however I could not live with the cabin boom.  I am not going to knowingly set myself up for frustration, and have decided to hold off and see if Skoda are able to respond and solve the problem.

It is disappointing for what is otherwise a totally awesome car.  Hopefully Skoda can sort this out quickly.

Edited by dimadee