I'm looking to get an Octavia Hatchback 1.4 TSI (2nd hand ~ 14 or 64 plate), and have test driven two so far.

The 1st (Elegance TSI DSG) had quite prominent issues with the air pressure. As other people have said it felt like a rear window was open a crack, and my ears kept popping. Worse between 30-50 Mph and over bumpy roads.

The 2nd (Elegance TSI Manual) at a separate dealer seemed almost totally fine, could barely feel anything, even when listening out for it.

Unfortunately I prefer the DSG, so I'll be going back soon to see if we can tweak the boot a bit as other people have tried. They seemed happy to do this. Any other advice? Because I don't want to lay out £15k for a car that makes me uncomfortable when I drive..

Hi All

I just got my VRS a few days ago and with the stereo off, I can hear this to, for reference I am running 17s with CINTURATO P7 tyres due to car being an import from Cyprus.

Thanks

JJ

If you are only aware of it with the stereo off then you are not experiencing the same problem. The pressure discomfort on the ears is not concealed by other noise.

You will have to be specific as to what noise you are experiencing as there have been issues caused by tyre wear, bearings or bad shock absorbers

Edited by Gerrycan
  • Like 2

Quick note regarding a test drive I had yesterday with the 1.4 TSI Elegance hatchback that I mentioned a couple of posts back. The dealer let me adjust the boot stops on the side, and I moved them right up to the top to see if it would help, but sadly no such luck.. The car was still bad, especially between 40-50 Mph which was the real sweet spot for resonance.

Interestingly the dealer agreed with me much more this time, and also said that another couple a few days before had said it was a problem, and ending up getting an estate instead. 

I really need to get a car in the next 2-3 weeks so looks like I'll be having to get the 1.4 TSI Manual even though I'd rather have DSG, but at least it's quiet!

Quick note regarding a test drive I had yesterday with the 1.4 TSI Elegance hatchback that I mentioned a couple of posts back. The dealer let me adjust the boot stops on the side, and I moved them right up to the top to see if it would help, but sadly no such luck.. The car was still bad, especially between 40-50 Mph which was the real sweet spot for resonance.

Interestingly the dealer agreed with me much more this time, and also said that another couple a few days before had said it was a problem, and ending up getting an estate instead. 

I really need to get a car in the next 2-3 weeks so looks like I'll be having to get the 1.4 TSI Manual even though I'd rather have DSG, but at least it's quiet!

With my car, the 'boom' comes and goes (I can't find a trend yet); as a result the 1.4 TSi manual may also develop the problem. If you are sensitive to the 'boom' then you may want to re-evaluate if an O3 is the best choice. For me all the other benefits outweigh the boom problem.

Does this booming happen across all trimlevels? Is there a common denominator or does it just happen to random cars?

It seems to be quite random. For example, I dont have the problem on a 63 plate Elegance hatchback manual. But some Elegance models do suffer from it.

Likewise other trims are a bit hit and miss.

Edited by JungleJames

With my car, the 'boom' comes and goes (I can't find a trend yet); as a result the 1.4 TSi manual may also develop the problem. If you are sensitive to the 'boom' then you may want to re-evaluate if an O3 is the best choice. For me all the other benefits outweigh the boom problem.

It depends on temperature - temperature affects the physical characteristic of the rubber sealing and stoppers, so you might be experiencing some changes in booming during a year for example

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I noticed 'the boom' a bit when I first got my 1.2 TSi.

I noticed the tyre/road roar more, especially on tar and chippings surfaces. I've only got 16" Michelins on mine, ride is good, but the road roar is pretty bad. 

I not noticing the boom anymore, maybe try having the fan on, could keep the air flow going in the car.

I came from a 2009 Accord, which had a fair bit of road roar and is known for it, but the Octavia is worse. You can tell where the cost cutting has been. But as the miles go by I dont notice it as much, and overall I'm very happy with the car and the 50mpg average on fairly short runs.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update regarding my car (1.4 TSI Elegance Hatchback). Booming is totally fine, but what I do notice is my ears popping during my motorway drive. I keep trying to clear my ears, but no luck. It seems to be an issue more so at speed. So I'm wondering if this is more to do with the poor boot seal sucking out air?

And even now, 15 mins later, my ears are still kind of ringing. It's not unbearable, but it is a bit of an issue. I'll try playing with the boot settings again, but this is so frustrating. Just when I think the booming is solved, the general pressure problem is worse!

Hi, I've had my car for a month now, a VRS estate with electric boot and its in the dealers at the moment to see what they can do about it. I find 3 issues with it:-

1: Excessive noise from rear boot\axle area. It does vary but it's much worse than cars i test drove before purchase. In fact it's the worst car I've ever owned for it including some cheap rubbish so there is no excuse for it. Sometimes it's OK and other times awful.

2: If driving longer distance with the window closed then there is a gradual feeling of pressure build up. Feels like in an aircraft when it descends. Whether it's the noise or pressure I'm not sure but it does give me a sore head and earache on a longer drive.

3: If, when driving over about 40mph, you open either the front passenger window, either rear window or both rear windows the pressure build up and noise generated within seconds is unbearable. So bad I wondered if it would actually damage my hearing. I've also seen the passenger seat or driver door mirror vibrating madly.

It has really spoiled the new car feeling. Hopefully it's a fault which can be fixed as I know Skoda are aware of pressure issues. If it's not a fault they should be ashamed of themselves clearing that as OK for sale. It's only a month old but bad enough I have considered rejecting it which is a pity as I waited 3 months for it and apart from that I love it.

• Like 1

DiggerACD, hopefully the dealer fixes your problems.

On point 3 I would agree that the Octavia (I also have the estate version) is one of the worst for pulsating pressure when you open an individual window. What works for me is if you open a front window then you have to open the rear window behind it an equivalent amount to avoid the pressure pulsing. I have come across similar but less severe pulsations on other cars but only since they became more aerodynamic.

I am not sure if those side window deflectors available from Superskoda make any difference?

Your Point 2 is a bit odd, do you get any relief from equalising the pressure in your inner ear (yawning/swallowing)? I know that even if I climb/descend by as little as 40 metres that I can get a 'pop' when I equalise but I don't get any discomfort even if I leave it for 200metres or more vertical difference (I used to fly gliders but I am aware of the same affect driving in hilly areas).

Assuming you are on the flat is the pressure differential relative to vehicle speed or the ventilation fan speed?

Edited by Gerrycan

SOLVED for me at least, after having 4 Octy mk2s I just got a nearly new "management" mk3 2.0tdi hatch with 3500 on the clock, booming/ air pressure noise was terrible at low speed over any road imperfection shellgrip etc as others have said.

Rang dealer told them I couldn't live with it, they said they hadn't come across it before (yeh yeh!), anyway they took it in and lo' and behold skoda UK overnighted new spring loaded stops for the sides of the boot and a new latch which is a good 5mm lower than the original. got it back with a complimentary set of new mats :D  and it's like a different car. Boot goes down really solid and no more boom.

I have tried to put in pictures without success but will keep trying.

IMO They know about this problem but are trying to avoid a recall.

If you've got the boom go back to the dealer. for this fix first.

• Like 1

Could upload my own pictures but these from previous are the same as fitted, plus the new lowered latch

Do you have a part number for the spring loaded ones? My dealer fitted me some new ones with a black powder coated back plate that they said was the issue as the original was corroding the paint slightly and this was causing movement! Needless to say it didn't work! If we got a part number we would all have the upper hand on the dealer. Was this for a hatch?

• Like 1

Yes this is for the hatchback, but didn't get a part number and there are no markingson them.

Considering they were able to get them to the dealer overnight means Skoda UK know what they are, what they are for and have them in stock.

Pester the dealer to go to talk to Skoda UK should work, I got mine done at Progress Skoda Bedford, They could contact them if unsure?

Regards

• Like 1

Yes this is for the hatchback, but didn't get a part number and there are no markingson them.

Considering they were able to get them to the dealer overnight means Skoda UK know what they are, what they are for and have them in stock.

Pester the dealer to go to talk to Skoda UK should work, I got mine done at Progress Skoda Bedford, They could contact them if unsure?

Regards

Thanks for that I'll give it a try!

2: If driving longer distance with the window closed then there is a gradual feeling of pressure build up. Feels like in an aircraft when it descends. Whether it's the noise or pressure I'm not sure but it does give me a sore head and earache on a longer drive.

This is EXACTLY what i have found on my first few days of ownership. The booming at 40mph-ish was just about tolerable, but the pressure build up / decrease (not sure which!) is really irritating. And to answer the question, swallowing only partially helped to clear my ears. Plus after my 50 min drive home (mostly motorway at 70) I still could feel weirdness in my ears for 20-30 mins, so not great..

I'll persue Skoda tomorrow regarding the new spring-loaded buffers.

Extra update, car now dropped off with Skoda to see what they can find. Filled them in with all the info I had, so we'll see what happens..  :sweat:

I told them some details about what the general consensus is on the cause, and possible solutions, but I'm always aware that professionals can get a bit wary when faced with the person who's looked stuff up on the internet, therefore knows everything..  :x

Could upload my own pictures but these from previous are the same as fitted, plus the new lowered latch

Are these rubber coated or just plastic?

If just plastic they'll rattle and squeak after a while.

My hatch built end of July has rubber ones with little bumps on. Hatch closes very firmly, no rattles or booming.

Are these rubber coated or just plastic?

If just plastic they'll rattle and squeak after a while.

My hatch built end of July has rubber ones with little bumps on. Hatch closes very firmly, no rattles or booming.

The parts they replaced on mine are the parts you describe on yours, I'm pleased yours hasn't got the boom!.

The new parts seem to be hard plastic and have a very stiff spring loaded damper in the parts fitted to the boot lid so hopefully won't loosen, so far I'm still pleased with the fix.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I was interested to read this thread. I am about to buy a new car and I decided that the Skoda Octavia 1.4 TSI SE ticked all the boxes for me. I went to the local dealer in Horsham and I have road tested four cars so far. As soon as I tested the first, which was a brand new estate version, I heard the boom which people describe. It is exactly the same noise that I used to get when the kids opened the rear windows of my old car when driving on the motorway and it actually hurts your inner ear.

I told the sales guy and he didn't really comment. I then test drove another estate this time with 11,000 miles on the clock and got exactly the same noise as before, on the same stretches of road. I though that it was probably the estate body causing a problem so decided to opt for a hatchback.

Yesterday I went back (different day, different weather conditions) and drove a nearly new demonstrator (auto box) and another car with 11,000 miles on the clock (manual and both hatchbacks) The both had the noise to varying degrees. I used the same test route each time and the noise occurred in the same places. The least noisy was the hatchback demonstrator. Some cars had spare tyres some didn't (I didn't really make a note as I hadn't read this thread at that stage).

On Friday I drove back home on the same route in my Toyota Avensis Estate and yesterday I used my Ford Focus. Neither of them made the noise.  Interestingly we took a decibel meter with us on the second test drives. The Skoda Octavia hatch registered 61 Dcb in the cabin at 30 MPH while the Ford Focus ( a 2012 model) registered 72 Dcb. The Skoda is noticeably quieter to drive.

Today a Skoda dealer in Milton Keynes phoned me because I had expressed an interest in a car there previously and when I mentioned the "noise problem" he knew exactly what I was talking about and told me that Skoda have not sorted it yet. I think Skoda have lost me as a customer. It is a shame as it is a nice car otherwise.  

I would love to know if anyone has found a fix yet.