hi all

just to summarise and update on my "boomy" octavia vrs. Since the day i drove it off the dealership in June it has suffered from a booming noise from the back and pressure problems in the cabin. 

The dealership i brought it from had it on two separate days and refused to acknowledge the problem. The sentiment was i was imagining the problem, so i took it to a second dealership, who had the car for a day and said straight away it was faulty as delivered and apologised i had received a car like this. It has been registered as an official acknowledgement of a problem with their technical department. 

The service manager said what was strange was as soon as they contacted the technical team, the usual procedure for investigation was skipped, and parts were in the post to them the same day. They showed me technical documentation they had been sent through which stated the problem was actually two separate problems. 

Firstly, new rubber stoppers for the hatch were in the post, this was for the pressure problem, and secondly the associated "booming" noise which needed an "innovative solution on the axle", parts of which will not be available until September 2015. 

Since the new rubber stoppers were fitted i have had the car a few days, the pressure in the cabin certainly feels reduced but not completely gone, a big improvement though. The associated noise is still present, and it looks like it will be until September at least.

The dealership are calling me tomorrow to see what i think, the job card and complaint still has an open status though. 

All in all i am still very very unhappy with my first experience of skoda, from the fact the car is faulty in the first place to the clueless and incompetent first dealership i dealt with. I may still push to reject the car but cant fault the effort of the second dealership.

How do i post photographs of the new stoppers? 

• Like 2

Got my car now (estate), and fortunately it doesn't boom (yet), although the suspension is noisy over bumps. There does seem to be some damping material on the boot floor and absorbing material below the carpet. I don't know if any of this is new. There's also some sort of material under the bonnet which I thought the petrol models didn't get.

Got my car now (estate), and fortunately it doesn't boom (yet), although the suspension is noisy over bumps. There does seem to be some damping material on the boot floor and absorbing material below the carpet. I don't know if any of this is new. There's also some sort of material under the bonnet which I thought the petrol models didn't get.

Same here mate...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oasisphonic, is your VRS MY15 or MY16? It's been suggested in the past that changes to fix things like this were usually unrelated to model year, and there have always been some cars with the boom and some without. I think it's too soon to say whether it's really fixed for all cars.

My SE came with Michelin Energy Saver tyres, if it makes any difference.

Edited by Rodge
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

You are right...I did the same test.

The only problem is excessive seal that produces the tailgate. When you close the door and you're in, it is clear that however much they seek solutions other hand, what you need to solve is the pressure. I think only work the gate change tires for a finer.

It has cost me much effort the foreman of vw understood the problem, but when it did, immediately after the adjusted closing the tailgate. the door made the adjustment in a higher position. Now the noise has been reduced by approximately 40%.

I think now the next step that can only come from Skoda. I think the only thing that can solve this problem is to provide a rubber boot setting that has a less sharp adjustment. Another solution could be a different hinges of the gate or a different close.

Finaly I must agree. It is the tailgate sealing and stoppers. In case of combi (estate) it is even worse due the minimalistic shape of stoppers.

Once I got the optimal settings for no-boom at 15degrees Celsius , I found that at 30 degrees in summer, the rubber stoppers get much softer so it does not its job properly. The right settings of stoppers differs in temperature!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Like Rodge I have a 1.2 TSi with Michelin Energy savers.

No booming, but quite a lot of road roar especially on roads that have been resurfaced cheaply with tar and stones.

Tyres seem to be rated at 71db, not too bad, but some brands are as low as 68db.

So at 27KMiles I now have a LOUD wheel bearing going type sound which I can confirm is the drivers rear wheel side of the boot. So two Q's.. firstly are these prone to wheel bearings like other VW group stuff has been the last 5 or so year (mates sirocco did them every 20k),,, but secondly... it's magnified by the whole car rear to such an extent I'm wondering if not a bearing it's just a very bad version of the problem described here..

Either way, sounds from the rear axle are transmitted at certain frequencies through the car structure. It's a rotational thudding, but here's the crazy bit.. only on smooth road surfaces. On the rough stuff I get the booming like static on an old man's TV set through the wall... more of a roar than a booming. Any advice welcome as I have to drive the car 2000mile on Friday!

Only had my 2014 Elegance for a month and have noticed (can't fail to notice) that there is a pulsating noise which seems to start being noticeable at 55mph and is at it's worst at bang on 60mph. Seems to be from the front passenger side - I think. Over 60mph and it recedes again but I'm not convinced it goes away altogether and is there regardless of road surface. Doesn't go away under braking (unless speed is below 55) doesn't go away if the clutch is dipped. So I'd thought of perhaps a bearing or CV joint but in a car that's done just over 14k I'd be surprised if that was the case. If it was, are these items covered under warranty?  

So at 27KMiles I now have a LOUD wheel bearing going type sound which I can confirm is the drivers rear wheel side of the boot. So two Q's.. firstly are these prone to wheel bearings like other VW group stuff has been the last 5 or so year (mates sirocco did them every 20k),,, but secondly... it's magnified by the whole car rear to such an extent I'm wondering if not a bearing it's just a very bad version of the problem described here..

Either way, sounds from the rear axle are transmitted at certain frequencies through the car structure. It's a rotational thudding, but here's the crazy bit.. only on smooth road surfaces. On the rough stuff I get the booming like static on an old man's TV set through the wall... more of a roar than a booming. Any advice welcome as I have to drive the car 2000mile on Friday!

I would check your tyres for a 'sawtooth' effect. Had that problem in a big way on my old mk2 on the original tyres and had to change them prematurely the noise was so bad. Also have you had a tyre repair for say a nail puncture? The repair will wear differently and give that thudding effect over time, I have had that too.

Saw too thing would explain why it is more obvious on smooth surface

• Like 2

Sarge & Gerrycan, thank you both. I'll do my checks pre-mammoth trek across EU, then on 12th Oct when it's due in the dealers to repair the SD card slot(!) I'll report it.

Hopefully a boot full of load will diminish the sound for a bit. Regardless, I have a full size spare to swap out if it get's too much!

If it's the wheel bearing I would be having that looked at before heading on a big journey. I'm no mechanic but I suspect that if the bearing fails you'll need more than the spare wheel to keep you moving.

Wheel bearings are giving problems on them. @FnkyMnky I has the exact same issue on a new Leon last year and was told that it's happening a lot throughout the VAG range.

Had a day off work yesterday so I toddled into the dealer to see what they said. Of the 2 guys I spoke to one of them seemed to be saying that they've had the same thing in before.  It's booked in next Monday to take a Tech guy out with me to let him hear the noise. 

On the motorway here, there is quite a sharpish right hand bend and going round that at 60, I noticed that the noise is even louder - but not on the corresponding left hand bend.  

This sounds exactly like my issue. I have had it checked out by a Skoda mechanic and they had no clue but will ask Skoda Sweden. 

It is definitely not bearing, mechanic checked. And it is not saw toothing, as I purchased new tires and did a wheel adjustment. Awaiting to hear from Skoda Sweden what to do next.

The sound is just like you describe it, a tumbling or rotational sound coming from the back, probably left side. The sound is louder where the left back passenger sits, coming from below and like resonance spreading up in the cabin. The sound is not that loud below the boot screen which is weird.

To be continued... 

Edited by kristianRS

So... we did 1000 miles in it... Fully loaded with the OH presents for family. Sound is gradually getting worse, but not so fast I can't make the return trip *hopefully*!

Interestingly, it's getting transmitted through the chassis and has me thinking it's front end again, even if it sounds like it's coming from the rear...

If anyone else has rotational thudding with the booming, try depressing the clutch only 5-10mm, you can feel the same vibration as the sound you are hearing...  perfectly in time, pulsing up through your feet.

KristianRS, can you check this? I have checked tyres, alignment, and even after 10 hours driving, only stopping for diesel, all wheel rims are the same temperature..

Joking aside, we have a new car with international rescue, and I'm used to driving ancient cars all over europe... Luckily for me the sound is absorbed above 100 mph on the autobahn, but it has stopped me enjoying the full rev range in our new car.. )which averaged 50-55 mpg at 100-110mph consistently. The omega I last did this in, made 23 at that speed. Oh and the local dealer couldn't look at it until the 12th October despite the 2500 mile trip.

Joking aside, we have a new car with international rescue, and I'm used to driving ancient cars all over europe... Luckily for me the sound is absorbed above 100 mph on the autobahn, but it has stopped me enjoying the full rev range in our new car.. )which averaged 50-55 mpg at 100-110mph consistently. The omega I last did this in, made 23 at that speed. Oh and the local dealer couldn't look at it until the 12th October despite the 2500 mile trip.

It may be a trifle rude of me but I find it hard to believe that your car can achieve your reported consumption figure (that is around 5.7 l/100 at 160+kph)

I cannot remember ever seeing a VRS diesel consumption report much better than an average of 60 mpg at 70 mph on this site.

I will be perfectly happy to be shot down in flames with some photographic evidence though.

Edited by Gerrycan

Happy to oblige on the way back, will try to shoot some video / grab some stills - although for some reason it's always slightly higher consumption on the return leg. Probably the car loaded up, eagerness to get back home etc!

Certainly still showing 50mpg average this am. I guess it could be dropping down on the 130kmh stretches has balanced it out. Above 110 tho it plummets to 30-35! Still nothing compared to nursing a 3.2 petrol omega back with winter tyres! 

• 2 weeks later...

That's the car been in and yes, it was a N/S wheel bearing and yep,sorted under warranty The noise is now gone and me and 'Er indoors can now toddle off down to York & Cumbria in a couple of weeks with a lot more confidence.
Kudos to Henry's Skoda in Glasgow for sorting it out so quickly - the car was dropped off at 9am and I got a call at 1pm to say it was done, road tested and ready to be collected! That's 3 hours faster than it took to get my last car MOT'd! Sterling service. 

Your original claim was "doing 100-110 MPH consistently" should that have been KPH?

If so then I believe your consumption figures.

Ha ! Maybe he doesn't want to go to all that trouble to 'prove' to you he's not lying ! Oh you will believe him if he meant kph ? That's good then....

If I was -jtypecav I would have told you where to go in no uncertain terms !

Yorkshire dwellers are known for being blunt, so fair enough. :)

The reason I questioned the original figures is that they were so far removed from what others have reported there had to be a catch.

A simple typo regarding  kph and mph explains everything and brings the figures back to reality. Still pretty good consumption though.

Sorry way off topic.

• Like 1

Took delivery of my new VRS TDI CR yesterday - traded in my old VRS TDI CR (62 plate) which possibly had some of these traits and drove me potty so I've been reading this with intrigue (all 24 blimmin pages!! :zzz: ).  Very early days obviously but I think my new vehicle will suffer from these issues as there is a general feeling of pressure already when moving and I'm on the bridgestones (they'll get going at earliest opportunity!!).  However, I tend to have the radio turned up a bit :mmm:  so likely to notice it less than most. I have noticed how different the boot closing is too.  There is a far more reassuring clunk when closing the new boot to the old which felt like there was an enormous inflated balloon in the way.  Very happy so far (honeymoon period) but I wonder whether at some point I'll be trying out some of the previous suggestions. 

• Like 1