MPG anomaly

James I

Today I have been out and about as most days, weather was coldish this morning with 4.5'c displayed, I drove mixed motorway and A road and achieved 48.4 mpg according to the maxi dot, also it is warmer outside tonight than when I went out this morning.

Journey was about 70 miles there and back.  Any ideas why it has gone up as I usually achieve 42mpg on the maxi dot.

10873023326_f9aa4927b2_b.jpg

Can beat you there James, going into work on Thursday morning 6am, similar temperature 9.0c, 20 miles on country roads.MFD showed 50.9mpg.I know it,s not a true figure but I was well chuffed. 2litr 140 DSG.

Tony

• Like 1

next week according to the weather people!  Snow maybe on high ground, this means only one thing, Yetis go looking for snow, mine does anyway, we usually go to Wales and see if we can find it, Ponderosa cafe on the horse shoe pass, a walk in the snow with the dog and drive in it with the Yeti then lunch in the cafe.

MPG won't matter that day.

• Like 3

never had highish mpg other than when I went to Heathrow and tried hyper milling behind trucks, it went up to 70+ mpg then but I drove very different to normal.

High 40's is abnormal for my day to day driving.

• 6 months later...

I was surprised to see this on a normal urban drive this evening.

DSC_0022.jpg

Yes I know it's not a true figure but I'm comparing it to previous figures on maxidot.

Never got over 46mpg on the same drive before so I guess the engine is starting to loosen up.

It seems to have happened all of a sudden over the last week.

• Like 1

I traveled from Warwick area back to Leeds last night, M42, A38 (because the A42 was blocked), M1. 137 miles and probably a tailwind.

Maxidot gave overall for trip of 63mpg. The roadworks everywhere on the M1 now really help to increase the fuel consumption.

Trip down was via A1, A46, M69, A46 to avoid the Mi roadworks, took about 30 mins less and I averaged 54mpg as travelling significantly faster, and I suspect there was a headwind.

The direction the wind is blowing can easily add or subtract 5mpg on the average for a calm day.

Never got over 46mpg on the same drive before so I guess the engine is starting to loosen up.

It seems to have happened all of a sudden over the last week.

I notice you have similar mileage to me - and mine has also (all of a sudden) started returning significantly better fuel economy.

Seemed to happen as it passed around 6500 miles.

I also have the 2.0 diesel - just the 170 version - but I think it's essentially the same engine.

My mileage is vastly greater than yours; but my MPG has risen as well. I just put this down to much warmer weather. Some of my mileage is garnered abroad in ridiculously warmer weather and I get the same improved fuel economy there too.

I used to see above that quite regularly when i was doing the 0430 commute to work. I think the best was 56 mpg.

A longer journey I guess?

This was on a 7 mile trip, so I'm happy.

What a lot of you are missing is the natural inclination of the UK. It runs downhill from North to South with an additional incline West to East at the level of Wales! :giggle:

My homeward journeys always give improved MPG. :rofl:

Fred

• Like 2

I travel the same route to and from work every day. Some days I get 38 MPG some 34-35 MPG.

It's up hill and down dale but I can't figure out the best plan of attack so to speak.

Dawdle up the hill at a slower speed, higher gear but risking the engine labouring. Or attack it with gusto, higher revs but not as much pedal.

What a lot of you are missing is the natural inclination of the UK. It runs downhill from North to South with an additional incline West to East at the level of Wales! :giggle:

My homeward journeys always give improved MPG. :rofl:

Fred

Not you as well!!

Its like the politicians who think you can lay a pipe from the North to the South and water will flow along it for the thirsty South East without needing pumps as they think the North is higher than the South.

I live in the vale of York which is just above sea level and my journey South to the midlands will go both up and down and ends rather  up significantly higher when I get to the midlands area. Similarly if I carry on to the London area I will be back at about the same level again!

Now if I lived at the top of the Penines or the Yorkshire Moors I may lose a bit of altitude going south but most people don't live up there, and I would again be losing altitude going north towards Newcastle or even Edinburgh!

Well actually Ken........................

When Birmingham City Water Company drowned the Elan Valley near Rhayader (site of 2 Yeti Adventures!) they built an aquaduct tunnel all the way to some reservoirs on the outskirts of Birmingham, and there isn't a pump along the whole route.

So that proves that the west is higher than the middle, and we all know that Norfolk is almost below sea level, so therefore the slope must continue east of the middle.

:giggle:  :giggle:  :happy:  :happy:

• Like 1

Well actually Ken........................

When Birmingham City Water Company drowned the Elan Valley near Rhayader (site of 2 Yeti Adventures!) they built an aquaduct tunnel all the way to some reservoirs on the outskirts of Birmingham, and there isn't a pump along the whole route.

So that proves that the west is higher than the middle, and we all know that Norfolk is almost below sea level, so therefore the slope must continue east of the middle.

:giggle:  :giggle:  :happy:  :happy:

True but go a bit further west and you are back to sea level again. These gradients only work over a certain distance from a high point to a low point, eg water supplies to manchester come from the lake district, but the flow can't carry on all the way to the South East.

I work on the canals as an engineer and we always laugh internally when some politician stands up in parliament and asks why the canals aren't used to flow water from the north of the country to the south! You would be amazed how many otherwise intelligent people believe the North is higher than the South just because it is above it on a map drawn in the conventional direction with North at the top.