Is 195/55R15 OK on 2003 Fabia?

gewstarr

Hi guys!

I have a 2003 Estate Fabia. When I bought it there was OEM 14" steel alloys. However, I managed to get some 15" steel alloys from a Golf VR6. It has ET35 instead of ET38 like Fabia "standard" alloys. However, it came with 195/50 winter stud tires, and these fit really well. as you can see in my attached photo. I've been riding with them for almost two months already. Oh yeah, I live in the really cold part of the world.

Anyways, I was wondering, would I be able to put 195/55 tires on these alloys, or would this be too much? Since I'm currently running on a bit smaller wheels than "default" , my speedometer is showing somewhat higher speed than I'm currently riding at. I spontaneously think that 195/55 would be a better choice, if[!] it'd be possible. I have Google'd a lot, and 195/55R15 seems to be mentioned on Fabia, but _only_ on Fabia Mk2 (2007- models), as far as I can see.  What do you guys think?

Anyone with real life experience here?

Cheers!

post-100906-0-39211900-1385855674_thumb.jpg

Edited by gewstarr

Big thanks for your quick response, @leepatrick01. Much appreciated!

You don't think the 3 mm difference (ET35 vs ET38) that I mentioned will cause any problems on 195/55?

AFAIK, the higher ET, the better, since you can simply lower the offset with spacers, but you can't go the other way around.

Big thanks for your quick response, @leepatrick01. Much appreciated!

You don't think the 3 mm difference (ET35 vs ET38) that I mentioned will cause any problems on 195/55?

AFAIK, the higher ET, the better, since you can simply lower the offset with spacers, but you can't go the other way around.

3mm is nothing ;)

• 1 year later...

Now, I know this topic was ages ago, but I seem to recall having a hard time finding true intel about how (if) 195/55R15 would fit on my Mk1 (2003) Estate Fabia. I know that it's a standard size on Mk2's, but as that's a whole different build, it's also a whole different question. Where I'm located, it's much easier (and cheaper) finding 195/55's than 195/50's, so I was really into knowing for a fact if it'd fit. However, judging from only the percentage of travel (wheel arch room), I decided to give it a shot, as I had a chance of buying a set of 195/55 tires of really cheap, anyways. So, I went ahead and fitted these (on some bad-ass Fabia Mk2 original Aluminum alloys) for summer wheels, and it worked a charm. I've done tons of speed bumps since fitting them, and it has never hit. Late last year, I decided to change my old (195/50R15) winter tires for 195/55 as well, as a former colleague had a set of those lying around. FItted 'em and it has been rolling since. So, if anyone stumbles across this thread, looking for answers, just go ahead, fit 'em wheel, it'll be awesome. Also, speedometer will be running more accurate than with pre-default roller circumference. As this confirmation may be more or less  "No ****, Sherlock?!" to some, I find that the information may have actual value to others, so I post it now, to whomever.

• Like 1

Yesterday I fitted my summer alloys VW Avus II with 195/60/15 tires. This is going to be the second season I will be running them and I cannot complain so far. I've been trying 195/65/15, but they are too big. The 60 are perfect, speedometer is 100% accurate and feel more comfortable on bumpy roads.

Edited by Alexandru

Really great information! Perhaps next summer I'll try 195/60 on the summer alloys. Here in Sweden we have horrible winters so wheel arch is mostly packed with snow this season, so I think I'll stick to 195/55 for winter wheels. Just out of curiosity, you don't ride a vRS Fabia? Someone told me that vRS model could hold bigger wheels (even 16"), which I thought sounded kind of stupid. I mean, yeah, vRS has more engine, but exactly the same wheel arch. Thinking about it, maybe the suspension is different on vRS, lifting the car somewhat more (higher from the ground) than on "regular" Fabia cars. Nah, maybe not. I'm probably just overanalyzing. But 195/60R15 is definitively going to be the next step on my lime yellow Estate Comfort. Maybe next summer, or even this summer. I'll start digging on prices.

On short, don't. When driving on roads covered with snow, it's better to have narrow tires, so they will cut the snow and give you better traction. Yyou should consider keeping the steel wheels (for the winter tires set) and get 165/70/14 tires. IMHO, that would be the best option. As for the summer tires, it's all up to you. As I said before, 195/60/15 are pretty much the best you can get. The speedo is 100% accurate (tested with a gps navigation - caution with the speed limits though), they give you a higher ride, which is pretty cool for bumpy roads and the extra tire wall saves you from a few back ackes (due to the stiff ride in a mk1 Fabia).

Edited by Alexandru

Yeah, I know. However, steel alloys are 15" inch and I probably won't bother getting a whole new set. I noticed (Fabia OEM Tire Size thread here at Briskoda) that 185/55R15 is not only a recommended size, but also ideal for snow chains, which would seriously be good up here. Speedometer accuracy would probably be better than with 165/70R14 as well. Actually, when I bought the car it came with "all-season tires" in this size, and I remember i noticed how horribly wrong the speedometer was, constantly. These wheels are now long gone and all I have now is two sets of 15" alloys; nice aluminium (Mk2 Fabia original) ones for summer and a pair of ugly VW original steel ones for winter.

i can tell you now, 205 60 r15 will wear through your near side wheel arch liner and touch the metal lip on the pointless box that is underneath it, so you'll need to grind that back (just the lip) as for speedo, its spot on according to satnav (oh and tell your insurance company too) only reason i've got them fitted is because they where free! (tyres that came with my car had more nails in them than my local diy shop!)

Edited by SkUG