Guide: Upgrading Columbus firmware and maps

AJ7788

I don't know anyone else who can do what you require. Not to say there isn't anyone but I don't know.

I wouldn't bother fitting a larger hard drive, there's not a lot of benefit really. 18gb of music space takes some filling.

Software update won't get you much more than you have at the moment really, but if you do want to update then 5238 is widely available. However the 4*** software can be problematic for updating sometimes.

1 hour ago, Rustynuts said:

I don't know anyone else who can do what you require. Not to say there isn't anyone but I don't know. 

I wouldn't bother fitting a larger hard drive, there's not a lot of benefit really. 18gb of music space takes some filling.

Software update won't get you much more than you have at the moment really, but if you do want to update then 5238 is widely available. However the 4*** software can be problematic for updating sometimes.

Looks like I'll need to arrange the flashing with you then; could you forward details?

Reason I'm thinking of updating software is because I've read somewhere that the current map version requires the hdu to be reconfigured to 3 partitions to fit the maps in with the POIs.  TBH I dont use the unit for music; I just cart a few sd cads about with it on

Just now, Rustynuts said:

Your unit already has three partitions. Nothing needs to be done.

That sounds like a lot of worry done away with.

I have a bit of a rule of thumb with "upgrades" - if it doesn't need doing, don't do it! Had to sort out too many failed upgrades and updates in previous work.

I'll get on with sourcing the latest maps then and see how it goes.

Thanks

On 22/04/2019 at 15:15, cmp1951 said:

Looks like I'll need to arrange the flashing with you then; could you forward details?

Reason I'm thinking of updating software is because I've read somewhere that the current map version requires the hdu to be reconfigured to 3 partitions to fit the maps in with the POIs.  TBH I dont use the unit for music; I just cart a few sd cads about with it on

Thanks for your help with my questions.  System is now up to date.

I did need to update the SW before it would take the map update.

Since the update, it now deletes last destinations, and the stay deleted after a day, and new destinations save and deletes properly, so no need to get it flashed.

Rgds

Mike

Rusty , is it possible to code the 510 so that it does not connect to the bluetooth media player but only mobile phone . I'm using my phone for an app and have to constantly go in and disconnect that part . 

Hi guys  I recently went off and bought a 2012 skoda elecance. Can my maps or system be updated and I have satnav but can't find where the SD card is if anyone knows where it is it would be a great help thank you. 

IMG_20190425_010810.jpg

6 hours ago, Halo677 said:

Hi guys  I recently went off and bought a 2012 skoda elecance. Can my maps or system be updated and I have satnav but can't find where the SD card is if anyone knows where it is it would be a great help thank you. 

You have an sd card slot in the bottom centre of the unit, just under the display. The maps are stored on an internal hard drive, not on sd card, so no point looking for a maps card. You need to install new maps via a dvd. The unit software is possible to update, but not necessary.

7 hours ago, Halo677 said:

Cool thanks I'll look for the DVD online :D

Just PM'd you with a contact. Hope it's useful. I havve no connection with them, but found their service excellent.

6 minutes ago, cmp1951 said:

Just PM'd you with a contact. Hope it's useful. I havve no connection with them, but found their service excellent.

That'll be the company bloke who downloads the maps from the internet, burns them to a dvd, and sells tham trading as satnavdvd.co uk or some such similar moniker. In reality, one could find the maps themselves, burn them, and save paying someone else to do it.

1 hour ago, Rustynuts said:

That'll be the company bloke who downloads the maps from the internet, burns them to a dvd, and sells tham trading as satnavdvd.co uk or some such similar moniker. In reality, one could find the maps themselves, burn them, and save paying someone else to do it.

True, but this outfit (Ltd Co) provides at £24.99 for the two DVDs, maps and firmware, whereas most others I found charge £25 each.  He may not need the firmware, but if, like me, it turns out he does then it is more convenient the then having to shell out or download and burn separately.

I did find a download link for firmware, but failed to find the maps.

Hello,

I have tried my on to update but never works. Could anybody sent me details fo people which they are able to provide proper dvd's or place where from I can download it ?

Thanks in advnace

sat nav.jpg

sat nav2.jpg

OH...thanks 😜

So far I know that I need to have proper dvd and sd card for maps update. Any chance tha someone can give me directions which version of map or file I need to find ?

found this one

Skoda Columbus 2019 Navigation Map Update Package - 3T0051859AT

on one of the websites for £25, it comes as two DVD discs. Is it just to install them and then dvd can be taken away from the unit and all maps are stored on HDD. ?

14 minutes ago, mushroomnr said:

found this one

Skoda Columbus 2019 Navigation Map Update Package - 3T0051859AT

on one of the websites for £25, it comes as two DVD discs. Is it just to install them and then dvd can be taken away from the unit and all maps are stored on HDD. ?

The original post on this thread is some 5 years old plus. Things have moved on since then, and you do not need a software (sometimes erroneously called a firmware) update as the original post implies. All you need is a maps dvd and install it.
That website is simply selling faked copies which you can find for yourself on the web, download, and burn to a disc. The fact that they're also including a software version which isn't suitable for your unit anyway as well would be a cause for concern. There's no need for it on your unit.

To be quite blunt, It just took me 10 seconds to find the maps torrent via a google search and it would take a few hours maybe to download them and burn them to disc. Then you'd be £25 better off and the hookey bloke with a PO box address in London wouldn't be getting rich off your innocence.

RUSTYNUS

Thank you for your advice. You propably right but I have tried few times and propably I have done soemthing wrong as there was always solution with sd card and dvd. I will try to find image drive and burn it.

• 3 weeks later...