Metal Grey?

True enough a nicer metallic finish may make your car more appealing at re-sale but so does a good valet as well. Also the level of options may help re-sale.

What i will mention and this comes from my dealer (not directly quoting) is that the solid colour paint is a single coat application and the metallic colours are 2 coat finish, thus and I have seen this first hand is that more quality is applied to the metallic finish.

Whether this will attract more second hand money is another matter. After all these are the entry level cars into the VAG family, you get what you pay for.

True enough a nicer metallic finish may make your car more appealing at re-sale but so does a good valet as well. Also the level of options may help re-sale.

In the end, I don't think the colour will ever get you more money when selling (even from a top end manufacturer).

Colour can however easliy decrease the resale value if you have the most popular colour (Race Blue or White for example) or a colour which is not to everyones taste.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I detected a very slight green/blue tinge, but it was not sunny. I am hoping there is more tinge in sunlight. I went for the blackpack and anthracite wheels. But I hate chrome on modern cars, so wanted to get rid of anything shiny. Mine should be in the driveway in a week or two, but with the Crystal winter wheels..in silver. I can post some pics after that.

• Like 1

I'm in the opposite camp to TomLux! I went met grey with silver 18" gemini and silver roof rails. I wanted to break up the grey.

I thought the all grey look was a bit too much and a bit hot hatch for a family estate. I'm pleased with it and I reckon looks quite classy. BTW I reckon there's ever such a slight blue to the colour...

Any more pics of metal grey estates? Trying to decide whether there is a green/blue tinge? Did folk go for silver or anthracite alloys, as wondering if might look all a bit grey without some silver?

There is a definite blue tinge on the one I have. It seems to fade and disappear a lot, depending on how much light is directed at the car and how dirty it is.

I love the tinge, but if you expect the car to be a solid grey in all types of light you may be disappointed...

Not sure who this post is meant for. I think I'm the last one who talked about anthracite wheels, so here it goes:

No they are not standard. They come with the challenge pack. Though I had to order them separately as I couldn't get the challenge pack because I chose  grey stitching, not red for the seats.

HTH

Thanks guys... really useful. The pics I've seen seen to vary from a fairly solid grey to more metallic grey/blue/green. Looks like it might be one of those paints that looks different in different lights.. which is fine by me and adds some interest.

I'm probably in the TomLux camp with the anthracites and black, although there are some pretty tidy pics of chrome trim on the site. Saving a little bit of cash here which might help justify a sunroof!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Any more pics of metal grey estates? Trying to decide whether there is a green/blue tinge? Did folk go for silver or anthracite alloys, as wondering if might look all a bit grey without some silver?

It is a blue nyance to it. Makes looking at the former platin grey a bit dull actually (which nailed the mk2 facelift!).

Here's my instagram-shot after the carwash with misty effect, but you get the idea of antracite on them.

10723827_307429789449898_1737270499_n.jp

For completeness sake here are two quick and dirty pics of our metal grey. green tinge. haa. The SWMBO didn't want to get the rallyegreen, now I still have some green in there :)

post-119647-0-36870000-1424173838_thumb.jpg

post-119647-0-13912300-1424173852_thumb.jpg

Edited by TomLux
  • Like 2

That's my impression as well. I really wanted the blue, or maybe green (white is out as the Scirocco already is white, and black is even harder to keep clean).

SWMBO didn't go for any so this is the best compromise and I like it. Yet to see it when sunny, but I'm sure I'll like it even more.

Man... The wait is killing me. I found out my car has arrived at the dealers a whole month early.. But i can't have it until the end of March / beginning of April. Keep the pictures coming people, it's the only thing that is keeping me sane

• Like 1

Man... The wait is killing me. I found out my car has arrived at the dealers a whole month early.. But i can't have it until the end of March / beginning of April. Keep the pictures coming people, it's the only thing that is keeping me sane

Mines estimated for 30th April can't wait!

a32719b15c9356224b524d78f31dcca7.jpg