Why not buy a VW?

jonathane1976

Nooooo! Bossfox, don't desert us - we need you!!

I always have a planned 'next car' because you never know when a swift decision may be forced on you e.g. write off.

A friend of mine's old uncle in Norfolk used to say 'I never buys an 'orse excepts I don't need an 'orse'. An expensive purchase should not be made in haste!

Tiguan is on the 'maybe' list as well as another Yeti, this time could the finance stretch to a ripsnortin' 170 diesel 4wd?

Nooooo! Bossfox, don't desert us - we need you!!

:)

I'm not driving a Skoda that often already...

My daily is a Nissan LEAF.

Anoher slightly odd looking car you don't see many of. ;)

To say VW quality is better is a myth in my opinion.

VW 'quality' is one of the best known myths around - and all down to clever and persistent advertising.  Great reputation for reliability, but VW doesn't actually deliver on it.  It did once - around 40 years ago!

Check out the independent reviews - VW quality is rather below average.

Check out the independent reviews - VW quality is rather below average.

Which independent reviews are they? I don't particularly have an axe to grind one way or the other, but just to take one set of reviews at random (JD Power 2013) here are the results, out of 30 or so makers in total.

Car maker rankings

Top 10

1 Jaguar

2 Lexus

3 Honda

4 Skoda

5 Mercedes-Benz

6 Land Rover

7 Volvo

8 Toyota

9 Nissan

9 Seat

9 Volkswagen

So VW certainly isn't top of the pile, but substantially above the average.

Personally I prefer the Tiguan, l like the larger boot also, I prefer the dash but again its a matter of taste. I like the fact the radio and controls are placed higher and easier to reach.

I went from a 2wd 110bhp Yeti to a 140bhp 4motion, so not comparing like for like as far as performance goes. I do miss the great fuel consumption of the Yeti but knew fuel consumption would be less and can live with it.

During the year I had the Yeti I could find no fault with it.

Bob

No sarcasm intended I assure you. The reason I changed from a Yeti to Tiguan was that I tow a caravan and if I wanted a bigger one I needed a car with a heavier kerb weight.

Prior to the Yeti I had a Bora 130pd. Sold with 136k on the clock and had no problems. Before that a 110 Passat sold at 126k again no problems.

In fact the only VW I had problems with was a 1973 1600TE fastback which I bought of Work colleague. Just about ruined me trying to fix it.

Bob

I'd been watching the Which, Auto Express and JD Power reliability surveys quite closely ever since the Yeti first came out, as I'd already identified that an SM would be a good replacement for my Grand Scenic when Yetis started to get to 3+ and come off warranty. During that time Skoda as a whole consistently outscored VW (and Audi) in nearly all reliability measures. To my mind this gave credibility to the old adage I first heard when co-driving a Felicia during 2 years in the UK Skoda Trophy rally series:

"If you want a VW group motor that will actually get close to the reliability the advertising leads you to expect -  then buy one with Skoda badges on it!". :happy:  

I heard that more than once - from blokes in the trade, who know from experience. Along with:

"If everything in life was as reliable as a VW...........then we'd all be languishing somewhere around average or below." :hi:  

Hence when the Scenic had got to 7.5 years and 144,000 miles, so was due its second cam belt change, a new set of discs and some tyres, which between them would have cost more than it was worth - then I swapped it for a 3 year old 2010 Yeti with 78,000 and a 3-month selling dealer's warranty.  Its now up to 93,000 and the only things its needed so far are an oil change and a couple of bulbs. Although it did have the DMF replaced just before I took delivery.  On target so far then? :happy:  

• Like 1

Let me start by saying that I absolutely love my Yeti 1.8TSi that I've had since new in April 2010, now with 34,000 miles on it.
BUT, and it's a big but
It has been the most fault ridden car I've ever had in 40+ years of motoring.
Mostly electrical problems, including front seat base heating elements replaced (3 times and I'm still not convinced they are working correctly), both headlights failed (ballast units replaced - eventually), alarm sounder failed, rear window wash/wiper replaced, rear light bulb failures indicated on maxi-dot though lights still working (all Skoda bulbs eventually replaced with Osram which cured faults), water pump replaced (eventually), boot light switch failed (full tailgate lock replaced), Skoda badges replaced (twice & discolouring again). All the above was put right under warranty, but several times I was without the car for 3 or 4 days whilst investigating or waiting for parts. Then just out of warranty, the wiring loom failed between door & n/s A pillar causing all central locking and all windows to be inoperative (new door wiring loom fitted with Skoda paying 70% of cost), many trim creaks & rattles - nearly all fixed by me when dealer gave up, and today the heater blower has now decided to stop working.

It's all been incredibly frustrating.

As I say, I love the car, I love the all round practicality, its handing, its ride, its performance, its looks, but not its fuel consumption and most certainly not the build quality/reliability.
Trouble is, there's nothing else out there that really appeals to me and if I change now I'll take a big hit on depreciation as the 1.8 petrol models do not appear to be particularly sought after second hand.

Very, very frustrating!

John H

Edited by speedsport

I have to wonder whether this Skoda (no. 7) will be my last. Not because of any major issues, but simply because I don't like the new corporate nose. The only car I like it on is the Citigo and that's just too small sadly. I may have to go German or Japanese next time :-(

2009 Yeti - no significant problems: Xenon ballasts replaced, DPF pressure sensor ditto, Turbo clamp tightened - all under warranty. Now 110,000 km and just undercoated with Dinitrol. Plan to keep another 4 years. no squeeks, rattles or other detail niggles - except the rear mirror location.

Previous Octavia II Combi for 4 years and only a bonnet cable fault - NOTHING else, 120,000 km.

Interesting as mine is the same as Speedsports above, April 2010 1.8tsi. Coolant pump leak, replaced under warranty at just under 3 years old and panoramic sunroof leak, fixed myself at around 3.5 years old. That's it. I get an internal door panel vibration when the stereo is producing bass now that I never used to get but I don't class that as a fault tbh - it's easily sorted when I have the time. Never had an electrical failure or issue. In fact its been spot on. :)

As I say, I love the car, I love the all round practicality, its handing, its ride, its performance, its looks, but not its fuel consumption and most certainly not the build quality/reliability.

Trouble is, there's nothing else out there that really appeals to me and if I change now I'll take a big hit on depreciation as the 1.8 petrol models do not appear to be particularly sought after second hand.

Early, four year old 1.8tsi Yetis are still trading around the £11k mark at the bottom of values.

Considering we are talking around the 50% mark after four years I wouldn't call that a big hit.

Pretty much any other car would have lost more over the same time period.

The only answer to that is buying used.

Sorry to hear yours sounds like it was a Friday afternoon car though. :(

I have to wonder whether this Skoda (no. 7) will be my last. Not because of any major issues, but simply because I don't like the new corporate nose. The only car I like it on is the Citigo and that's just too small sadly. I may have to go German or Japanese next time :-(

That's the same issue facing me.

I think I'm just going to keep mine longer than I usually keep a car because I can't find anything that makes me want to replace it.

It's also been "used" a fair bit and has been 100% reliable.  Not even had a bulb blow in 2 years/28k miles/4 track days.

Personally I wouldn't have a VW because the local dealer is awful! Also I don't find many of them very inspiring. Golf R, maybe, Passat Alltrack, maybe.

Really, though, without wanting to sound like a stuck record, what I'd really like is a Yeti with the S3 or RS3 drivetrain. No other changes. Well, ok, a heated steering wheel and the ventilated seats from the Superb. But that's it.