Yeti cycle carrier.

Steve Humphreys

Having used both (but not on a Yeti I admit) I'd say towbar mounted does the least damage to the vehicle and fuel economy although it's the most expensive, especially if you don't already have a towbar fitted.

Roof is cheapest option. Just make sure you are happy to lift your bikes high enough and I'd probably invest in some for of step to make it easier.

If you get your bikes dirty then also consider the effect of mud dropping off the bike onto the roof (or carry a pump action water sprayer to clean bikes first).

Boot mounted can be pretty good, but I'd only consider the expensive ones with rubber pads (such as Thule) otherwise you will damage your paint work. And they are often fiddly to fit.

I have used the Thule tow bar mounted rack on my Yeti. It tips back to enable access to the rear door, fitted with lights, and attaches quickly with 18mm spanner and locked. All dirt is off the car and is easy to load. No problems with car park height barriers either!

I have the internal bike rack which allows me to carry two mountain bikes internally with one rear seat fitted. No security problems and easy to get in and out with the bike front wheels removed.

I use an atera strada. Stunningly good, simple to operate and secure, but you'll not get much change from a grand after fitting a tow bar as well.

With these internal racks do you need to remove the rear seats or just fold them up?

It looks like you have to remove the front wheels, but do you need to drop saddles as well?

Anyone got any pictures of two bikes inside a Yeti?

I dont have a tow bar so that type of carrier is out. I really like the look of the Minoura Vergo internal carrier. Do the seats have to be fully removed when carrying bikes or can they be tumbled forward? Also is there still room in the back to get some luggage in when carrying 2 bikes?

I have the Skoda internal bike carrier which locks in to the rear tie down points which makes sure the bikes are going nowhere. The seats have to be removed to get two bikes in, you can get one bike in across the boot with the seats folded forward, just. The bikes have to have the front wheels removed and then are secured using the fork wheel attachment points. My saddles stay fixed but as my wife and I are only 5ft 6in, six footers with larger frames could be different. With two bikes in I remove two seats which leaves room for a passenger in the rear and there is plenty of room in the back for luggage around the bikes as well as the rear foot wells. I have been away for a long weekend to Centre Parcs with three adults, two bikes plus food and clothing. Wife and daughter do not travel lightly. Hope this is of use, I am away at the moment so am unable to post any photos.

• Like 1

I have the Skoda Yeti roof bars and three Thule 591 cycle carriers, so everything can be locked. I am 6ft tall but any shorter and you may need a step. You can get fold up plastic steps for a couple of pound from the cheap shops and they are surprisingly effective and take up next to no room. I use the step when I have 3 bikes on the roof to help reach the centre cycle.

I have the Skoda internal bike carrier which locks in to the rear tie down points which makes sure the bikes are going nowhere. The seats have to be removed to get two bikes in, you can get one bike in across the boot with the seats folded forward, just. The bikes have to have the front wheels removed and then are secured using the fork wheel attachment points. My saddles stay fixed but as my wife and I are only 5ft 6in, six footers with larger frames could be different. With two bikes in I remove two seats which leaves room for a passenger in the rear and there is plenty of room in the back for luggage around the bikes as well as the rear foot wells. I have been away for a long weekend to Centre Parcs with three adults, two bikes plus food and clothing. Wife and daughter do not travel lightly. Hope this is of use, I am away at the moment so am unable to post any photos.

The internal bike rack only works if you don't have a spare wheel.

I had both and never used the bike rack so sold it a long time ago.

What about a space saver wheel?

I believe that doesn't require the higher floor boot.

Cough!

There is only one spare wheel(*) available and that is what the raised boot floor covers. It brings the floor up to the height of the tail gate.

(*)The spare is not a "true" space saver, it is just slightly smaller than the standard wheel and tyre, being a 196/60r16. Skoda have no Type Approved the Yeti to use a 2CV type pram wheel and tyre.

Thanks Llanigraham - I'll double check the Yeti I'm thinking of buying as I'm sure that it had a 'space saver' of some sort in the boot under a standard boot floor mat that wasn't level with the boot lip!

The supplied spare wheel looks very much like a 16" standard steel wheel, other than it has a slightly thinner tyre. It still "should" have the yellow speed warning sticker fitted, because it is narrower than the others on the car.

Last photo, post #27 of this thread has a good photo:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/157362-modifications-on-our-yeti-12-tsi/

Or Tim's first photos here of the boot:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/156798-spare-wheel-assembly/

I have a full size spare but only carry it when travelling away from home, I stick it in upright next to the bikes, so therefore lower floor level.