VRS trashed at Grimsby Dock

Here's my tale of woe I hope those of you with shinny new steeds appreciate them!!

Meteor Grey VRS TDI Hatch ordered with a few extras 10th September 2013

Originally told 12 week lead time, then week 4 build, then week 2, eventually built week 50 (W/C 10/12/13)

At Emden by 19/12/13

At Grimsby on 26/12/13

I'm excited now thinking its my birthday on 10 Jan I may get it then.

Birmingham supplying dealer tells me (when asked not out of courtesy!) there is a transporter back log following Christmas should be with them W/C 13/1/14.

After I chased again told by the dealer the alloy had been scuffed as loading on transporter, no stock of anthracite Gemini 18" in UK, back order of 10 days.

Me being a cynic contacted another dealer to be told anthracite Gemini 18" available at Skoda UK on next day delivery.

Just been into Birmingham dealer to be told allegedly (still not convinced) car broken into on docks, steering wheel stolen, alloy scuffed and obviously water damage etc.The car can't be assessed properly as the docks won't move to assessors without VRS steering wheel which is on back order.

They have given me a VW Golf to use as my company car was due back on 2/1/14.

I feel a re-order coming on and another 5 month wait!

• Like 1

I am with you ref the steering wheel, my view is it is complete BS.

I made a formal complaint yesterday to Skoda UK as I didn't believe the original story and the friendly chap there told me I would get a call back later in the day.

No call when I phoned again this morning I was told the case manager had 48 hours to respond so it would be on Monday.

Not a good advert for our Czech friends! 

• Like 1

Theft of a steering wheel does sound far fetched - out of the thousands of cars in Grimsby, yours is targeted for a steering wheel?

Ref potential delays in parts, yes that is legitimate (due to new SAP system).

I think that is the worst tale of woe and biggest pile of dealer donkey poo I have read on here so far.

The thing is, I don't get what they're gaining by telling porkies, just like I don't get why someone would break into one particular car in a secure compound (presuming it is, the ones down here in Southampton are) just to have away a steering wheel, which they probably wrecked while taking off...

Gutted for you.

Perhaps they forgot to fit the steering wheel at the factory, which led to scuffing of the allow when attempting to manoeuvre the car off of the freighter...

Seriously though, why would any criminal steal the steering wheel? What is more like is that the alloy has been stolen and the steering wheel is somehow damaged. I would guess that the Steering wheel will be pretty hard to remove without the correct tool.

Good luck getting it sorted.

Edited by Orville
  • Like 1

What a load of ****!

Point 1.

"The car can't be assessed properly as the docks won't move to assessors without VRS steering wheel which is on back order."

Why does moving it without a steering wheel present a problem, just do what any recovery company does following steering column collapse in a frontal impact, lift front wheels and roll it away?

Point 2.

Never, never have anything more to do with the dealer telling porkies. If they can't be man enough to tell the truth, whatever it might actually be, how could you trust them not to tell you similar with regard to a safety issue.

Point 3.

Insist Skoda explain actions of their agents and network in the misinformation.

Point 4 -10.

Scream at least half a dozen times!

Point 11.

Have a beer or two!  I ordered last week of July and my Elegance was delivered yesterday, 24 weeks after ordering. 

• Like 1

Sorry to hear your awful news.

Skoda UK FOR INVESTIGATION.

Shame your dealer or Skoda UK CAN'T LOAN YOU A vRS DEMO OR COMPOUND CAR.

That would be real Customer Service!

• Like 2

Hahaha! Who the f*** steals a steering wheel?! :D Must have been a cunning thief to do that very quickly without setting the airbag off. Would have made for interesting CCTV if it had gone bang!

Reminds me of an episode of American Dad, where Stan has a DeLorean and someone steals his gear knob :wonder:

Really feel for you mate, but that load of BS made me LOL

I am very sorry for you. This is really awful treatment and yes as others say, clearly a lot of old hogswash.

I would be cancelling my order completely, getting compensation from SUK, my deposit back and moving my sale to another dealership.

Sorry I know that would mean another long wait but their 'service' sounds disgusting.

• Like 4

Cars do get damaged in transit.

My brothers sold cars for years and is a Sales Director now, remember him telling me some years ago that he had a new order turn up at his dealership some years ago and the roof got crushed by the transporter driver by lowering the top deck onto it. Car went back and had to order his customer a brand new car.

Its crud but at least they arent trying to talk you into taking the damaged car. Its possible someone has tried to steal the car unsuccessfully but the story sounds a bit iffy.

A Golf as a loan car? The car has been delayed, possibly trashed, and that is down to Skoda UK or the dealer. So one of them should be giving you an equivalent car as a loan car. A Golf is not equivalent. Same chassis or not, the difference in size is massive.

Combine that with the rubbish communication for the dealer, and its a no brainer. A proper loan car is required, then compensation afterwards.

Cars do get damaged in transit.

My brothers sold cars for years and is a Sales Director now, remember him telling me some years ago that he had a new order turn up at his dealership some years ago and the roof got crushed by the transporter driver by lowering the top deck onto it. Car went back and had to order his customer a brand new car.

Its crud but at least they arent trying to talk you into taking the damaged car. Its possible someone has tried to steal the car unsuccessfully but the story sounds a bit iffy.

Just be up front and honest from the start. No iffy stories like scuffed alloys, then nicked steering wheel. Oh, and proper communication. Even if it was the dealer that damaged it, just tell the truth from the start. Dont go waiting for the customer to phone you, and offer a proper loan car if necessary. I expect the OP would have been a lot happier, even if he did have to wait for another car to be built.

• Like 1

I wouldnt be wanting the car after it had been through that anyway. How did the fictional scrote cause "water damage"?

God knows. Youd assume by leaving the door open, but how long did it take to find the damaged car with its door open? Surely it would have been spotted fairly soon. I'd be questioning what security is like at Grimsby. All large ports in UK are meant to have very good security now, to comply with ISPS

You'll be surprised at the large number of cars damaged in transit, and the new owners pick them up repaired and totally unaware of any damage. Cars get damaged in transit, its a fact of life. Scuffed wheels, broken windows, stone chips etc. They are not exactly treated that well by the loaders and unloaders from the ship.

When i worked for a honda main dealer we were always changing bumpers & getting accident damage fixed before the customer collected their new car,we even had to swop things like abs units from car to car,its quite a eye opener to see what happens to your "new" car before you pick it up all nice & shiny. 

• Like 1

Think someone mention that they had one in the showroom in Grimsby about a week ago.

Is it worth checking out.

See if the dealers can do a deal for you.