Is an Egr delete really worth it? Best place to get one?

I have had one on a bit and its an improvement over my egr valve, however I will say that I think my egr valve was on its way out.

The main reason people and I did it was to stop any un burnt carbon being recirculated and mixing with the oil vapour, which cause the nice thick clay like build up on intake and in the egr.

I think if you want the benefits but non of the cons then get two blanking plates and remove the pipe that feeds the egr from the top of the exhaust manifold, then blank off the hole in the manifold and the one in the egr.

It prevents the EGR valve recirculating exhaust gases into the intake..

An EGR delete will bring up an EML which unless you know a friendly MOT tester will need to be mapped out to pass an MOT..

An In my opinion based upon my experience, I would say that yes it is worth doing.. As for me It made the engine feel far smoother at lower rpm's..

But they do travel through the inlet manifold accompanied by oil vapour thus coating it and the egr valve with an oily carbon residue which is hardly desirable.. 

And I agree with you, which is why the elephant mod is a good mod, remove the oil vapour and you no longer have the problem.

• Like 1

3) NOBODY can give me a good reason to do it other than that it's cheaper and easier than replacing the failed EGR valve it always replaces.

It stops the inlet manifold clogging up.

It allows clean air to be combusted

it reduces intake temps

You didn't reply on my post above that illustrate clear published examples of the egr valve reducing power in diesels engines.

The only paper i've seen that shows the EGR being of benefit is with an S.I engine where it increases fuel economy ever, and I mean ever so slightly.

You seem like the classic "engineer" who's stuck in his ways because he's seen it happen once in his life. 

Edited by Dann2707

I've always put the EGR delete in the same category as the cupra air intake.

i.e. Far too little actual information to base it on as being worthwhile/necessary.

+ also overlooked very easily is the relevance to specific engine models, i..e the BLT engine which has been discussed as having issues with throwing errors with EGR delete and then you are forced into a position of mapping. So thats great if you happen to want to remap but not so good if you thought it was just a cause of removing the EGR valve if its faulty.

However the Elephant mod is another matter, and that is something I have done as a definite requirement having seen (and removed) the gunk in my inlet manifold at 90k ish.

Looks like however I'd be forced to go this route if my turbo blows - as KKK seems to be the only direct fit turbo and the Garrett ASZ I have as spare would require a delete just to be fitted. So thats more a necessity than a "is it worth it" scenario, in which case its definitely worth it !!!

Quick google,

When combustion temperatures exceed 2500 degree F., atmospheric nitrogen begins to react with oxygen during combustion. The result is various compounds called nitrogen oxides (NOX), which play a major role in urban air pollution. To reduce the formation of NOX, combustion temperatures must be kept below the NOX threshold. This is done by recirculating a small amount of exhaust through the "exhaust gas recirculation," or EGR. valve.

The EGR valve controls a small passageway between the intake and exhaust manifolds. When the valve opens, intake vacuum draws exhaust through the valve. This dilutes the incoming air/fuel mixture and has a quenching effect on combustion temperatures which keeps NOX within acceptable limits. As an added benefit, it also reduces the engine's octane requirements which lessens the danger of detonation (spark knock).

The EGR valve consists of a poppet valve and a vacuum diaphragm. When vacuum is applied to the EGR valve diaphragm, it pulls the valve open allowing exhaust to pass from the exhaust manifold into the intake manifold. Some engines have "positive backpressure" EGR valves, while others have "negative backpressure" EGR valves. Both types contain a second diaphragm that modulates the action of the valve. This prevents the valve from opening unless there is a certain level of exhaust backpressure in the system. EGR valves are calibrated for specific engine applications. The wrong valve may flow too much or not enough exhaust and cause emission, driveability and detonation problems.

EGR valves do not normally require maintenance or replacement for preventative maintenance. But the valve can become clogged with carbon deposits that cause it to stick or prevent it from closing properly. Dirty EGR valves can sometimes be cleaned, but replacement is necessary if the valve is defective.

• Like 1

Does anybody actually know what an egr does and why it is there in the first place,

Yes, it's there to reduce NOx emissions, reduce EGT and thereby prolong turbo life and increase fuel economy in lean cruise conditions. All good things.

Please keep it civil, on track, and most of all POLITE

I do agree that sepulchrave's style of first reply could have been worded / styled a little better - a lot better in fact, which proved to be the spark in the tinder box!  All it needs is a little thought, and all is well.

• Like 2

I've had diesels for years now and i've had EGR's mapped out (i know its not the same), or i've unplugged them (again not the same), but i just don't like the idea of recirculating the crap back through.  I've never removed one (other than to clean all the carboned crap off) because i've never been bothered with all the expense for what i always thought would be minimal gains really hence me looking at this thread originally, i thought it may be useful.

Edited by NathanG

Now we're 'modding'!

It stops the inlet manifold clogging up.

It allows clean air to be combusted

it reduces intake temps

You didn't reply on my post above that illustrate clear published examples of the egr valve reducing power in diesels engines.

The only paper i've seen that shows the EGR being of benefit is with an S.I engine where it increases fuel economy ever, and I mean ever so slightly.

You seem like the classic "engineer" who's stuck in his ways because he's seen it happen once in his life. 

Unfortunately you've also murdered this conversation with Dann, I'd hoped to help him with some information for his dissertation and it's somewhat truncated now.

Baaically half the people on here would say its worth it and the other will disagree.

And you will probably find if you googled about it you will find the same result.

At the end of the day so long as you keep your egr valve clean and it is working correctly you might aswell stick with it.

I'm happy with mine. My EGR was very dirty and clogged up, can't say i've seen an increase in MPG but I defiantly have less black soot come out of the exhaust.

Mine only cost me £35 in the group buy that Joel2010 organized so it's not going to break the bank.

I think if you want the benefits but non of the cons then get two blanking plates and remove the pipe that feeds the egr from the top of the exhaust manifold, then blank off the hole in the manifold and the one in the egr.

That's the cheapest way really, can get them from darkside for about a fiver plus deliver.

Well with egr . My inlet manifold ended up being have the diameter as it should be as the soot and crap just built up...

and once. In an extreme case ive know an egr kill an engine.

300tdi defender on a caravan park. Spent all its life on tick over. Towing and moving caravans. Eventually the egr got stuck In position and the soot built up soo much that it was collecting on the pistons and actually polished the bores to a mirror finish thus no compression. And also clogging up 1 of the inlet valves to the point it didnt fully seal and ate the valve seat

extreme one off case. But happened ;)