Bolero sound system on Octavia RS III

I've been driving the new Octavia RS for about a month now. The only big annoyance is the sound quality from the Bolero system. Although I have the bass setting all the way to max and treble almost all the way down, the sound is missing a lot in my opinion.

I had the Octavia RS about six years ago and the speakers / sound system in that one provided much more pleasant sound and way more bass. Also my previous car Ford Mondeo (2010) had way better sound quality.

I'm not one of those who drive windows open and speakers blaring, but it would be nice to get a decent sound when listening to music while driving.

Anyone other noticed this in their new RSs or is it just my car? It would feel strange if they would've lowered the sound system quality over the years.

I got the Canton upgrade because I enjoy music.

Try setting the equalizers to a reasonable level, if it sounds rubbish with the bass all the way up and the treble all the way down  - maybe this is the issue?

I have to agree on my Elegance as well, I've also resorted to the same settings to get any form of bass feel and reduce the tinny treble.

The sound from the standard Ford system in my S-Max sounds much better even with all tone controls level.

It's a real shame as this is the first aspect of the Octy that I don't think is up to the rest.

:wonder:  Why such a poor sound on an otherwise great car?

• Like 1

Should have chosen Canton. That's all there is to say. There is no such thing as "Bolero sound system" - this is just a basic speakers setup + Bolero radio.

darkpuh You actually downgraded from Sound System in O2 to standard audio in O3, so why do You expect similiar sound quality?

I was also initially pretty unimpressed with the standard Bolero system on my SE - I thought it sounded very harsh and lacking in bass. But it seems to have improved noticeably with a few months' 'running in' - a bit more bass and noticeably less harshness at the top, to my ears at least, and I am now much happier with it. (My current settings are around plus 4 on bass and minus 2 or 3 on treble.) So maybe worth giving it a bit more time, you might also feel it improves.

I have noticed that the bass seems to be susceptible to being masked by the frequency of road noise at speed on poorer surfaces, which might be another factor when it sounds harsh (I seem to recall one press review commenting on this).

If you're missing something try turning the treble up a bit!

Turning the treble down with make give the impression of a muffled sound. You really do need all the frequencies to give a decent full sound.

Yes the bass is slightly lacking (depends what you listen to I guess) but try knocking the bass one down from max, mid to around 2/3s and treble one or two down from max and see how it goes.

Generally I've found over the years that a gentle wave or curve in the EQ settings give the best sound. But everyone's ears are different!

My VRS has just ticked past 3000 miles and i have the Standard Set up, which with time has/is improving but When i Order my next VRS later on in the year i'm speccing the Canton Upgrade. The bass on Mine is Set at 2/3s and the treble is sät at a couple of clicks off max and the mid is around the 2/3s aswell exactly the Same as mike's..

After Playing with the settings with different Styles of Music ( metal,Rock,Garage Even pop!!!) i have found This to be the optimum Setting.

This was my gripe with the two demo cars I had, on both my Mk2's the speakers were of fairly good quality, and coupled to the Bolero on both were very good for a standard set up, however, when I demo'd the mk3 I was really disappointed, a new model car yet the speakers had taken a real nose dive, so the Canton was a certain upgrade, and for the money it makes sense, but the problem is Skoda know what they have done and they know that a lot of people will upgrade at time of ordering so more money for them!

I noticed the radio was 'tinny'  when i went for a test drive but it wasn't going to put me off the car.  I'd think that a pair, or 4, improved speakers may not be hard to fit and could make a world of difference 

Oh well,

on the MkII I succeded in taming trebles harshness, due to el-cheapo electrolytics (!!!) caps used as HPF.

Does anyone know the detailed spec of the Canton package? I mean, Canton is not exactly known for high fidelity audio...

TIA,

Does anyone know the detailed spec of the Canton package? I mean, Canton is not exactly known for high fidelity audio...

Canton are considered a premium brand in Germany, with their speakers costing well in excess of the budget market. Take a look at their stunning website, detailing all their products.

http://www.canton.de/en/hifi.htm

Take these speakers reduced from £650 in the sales.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Canton-SL520-2-Speakers-pair-Gloss-Black-finish-/231136177651?pt=UK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_HiFiSpeakers&hash=item35d0ca2df3

Electrically check the spec on the bolero for power per channel and impedance.  Get sneakers at the same or close impedance for good response, and go well up on power to avoid distortion.  Physically check the size and suave of the present ones and match.  My guys is the skoda OEM will be a standard 8 ohm, maybe 40 watt, 6 inch woofer.  It went cost much to get something moderate from the Sony or Kenwood range. 

Do you have to get the door inner off to get to the speakers, or is there a separate grill? Grill would make life simple.... Simply clever or ...?

The Canton upgrade is well worth it. It doesn't sound that impressive brand new but after 10hours wear in, it really is very good. I had a £2000 ofGenesis ICE in my last car and the Canton upgrade is not that far off.

I listen to a lot of Bass heavy music and it sound really good. It's not thundering bass but it's very punchy with crisp top end.

You do need a good quality source.

Edited by Farsider

Thank you Manny,

must say I never listened to Canton loudspeakers at High End exhibition.

But perhaps it's my fault and don't want to be snob.

The digital eq is surely a powerful option (if supports time correction, as I imagine since it allows to select the "focus"), abd 570 watts seems plenty of power, but nowadays watts are cheap and I would like to avoid finding again some electrolytic cap on the tweeters (especially when a pretty good MKP costs in the pound region).

Ciao

My problem was that our company policy doesn't allow any sound system upgrades. So basically I'm left with the option to swap in some slightly better speakers myself. I haven't explored the door more closely yet, but doesn anyone know that do I need to take out the whole door panel or is there a easier way to get to the speakers?

• 2 weeks later...

Guys you are confusing the head unit to a sound system. The sound will be exactly the same with Swing, Bolero, Amundsen and Columbus since their amplification levels are basically the same (I could bet that the chipsets are identical)... What you need is an upgrade of the speakers and an amp if you want to be really serious about it (for whom didn't get the Canton). Since for a nice sound you don't necessarily need a lot of volume, you can go with proper quality speakers that fit in the doors and leave the amplification as is.

Edited by TudorM
  • Like 2

I agtee the standard system is lacking in bass and general guts. The 2 treble speakers in the upper door are much more prevalent in the overall sound than the others.

Its certainly not as good as the Sony system in my old mondeo titanium, although the rest of the car is better in almost every way.

One thing I have found that helps is to set the fade very slightly rearwards with the crosshair centred on the floor space in front of the rear seats on the diagram, this seems to tame the tinny wing mirror speakers a bit and give better overall balance. 

• Like 1