Bolero sound system on Octavia RS III

I dont think Ive had any 128kbs mp3s since I had a dial up connection back in 2001 :p

I am not a technical person but I noticed Windows Media player and iTunes both default to 128kbps which I think a majority of people would use (Could be wrong).  Like myself, I just stick the CD in then copy the files over to my USB or SD card.

If there are any techie people who could put some steps together to help people make sure they are getting the best quality files and recommend good ripping software.

That would be helpful.

In terms of sound quality, regardless of the speakers or system used, one would be better off ripping his music in a lossless format (wav or flac) as opposed to the lossy formats (mp3). Given that large SD cards are more and more affordable it might be a good idea to try lossless. I use EAC to rip music (the software is free to use) and am rather pleased with the results, in fact I am quite over the initial disappointment of no longer having a CD player.

• Like 1

If there are any techie people who could put some steps together to help people make sure they are getting the best quality files and recommend good ripping software.

My phone is a Sony Xperia Z3 and the Sony "MediaGo" software works very nicely for ripping. Works better than iTunes anyway from my experience. Its a free download for PC or mac. 

http://mediago.sony.com/enu/features

Technically, the AAC encoder (also known as m4p) is superior to mp3 but this difference it most noticible below 256kb/s. Once you're at 256kb or over tests have shown its difficult to tell any difference between those encoders and a higher bit rate. Even uncompressed (eg FLAC) struggle to sound better. But you'll always get an audiophile who disagrees with this .... 

Edited by TDIum
  • Like 1

Hi,

I was converting mp3 to different formats and changing 128kbs to 320kbs - no difference on sd card, still poor quality of sound. I have good sd card. When streaming music via bluethooth from my Iphone 6s (soundcloud or music library) sound quality is much better and it plays louder. 

If you buy music through Apple it will be encoded at 256 or 320 kb/s AAC.

If you convert a music file from 128 kb/s to a higher rate, you will not be able to recover the detail lost in the original compression. That's not to say that 128 kb/s is all that bad - I used to have MiniDisc and even that wasn't too bad most of the time (was miles better than compact cassette anyway).

I was converting mp3 to different formats and changing 128kbs to 320kbs

Do you mean you converted the original CD to 320 kb/s, or you converted a 128 kb/s MP3 to 320 kb/s? If the second, then it's going to sound worse than it did to start with.

Hi,

I have a different problem, hoping it still fits the title :)

The source selection button on the steering wheel cycles among audio sources including AM, FM radio bands and media devices.

Is there a trick to skip/disable the AM band? I have no station configured on that one and it just serves as a noise during the cycle.

For example AUX can simply be turned off and Bluetooth is working automatically, but I haven't found such an option for radio bands.

Octavia III RS + Bolero combination

Thanks,

pTib

ptib,  there is indeed a trick to rapidly swap from your media source (whichever you are listening) to the Radio source (whichever band you were listening to previously), simply press and hold the source selection button.

Example : Few minutes ago you were on the 6 nations on the FM, now you're listening music from USB. If you press and hold the source selection button you'll be put back to your 6 nations match. Press and hold again and you're back on the USB source.

Same for (BT or SD or CD) << to / from >>(AM or FM or DAB).

As Andyvee wrote, you can also disable AM band with VCDS.

Edited by mailme

ptib, there is indeed a trick to rapidly swap from your media source (whichever you are listening) to the Radio source (whichever band you were listening to previously), simply press and hold the source selection button.

Example : Few minutes ago you were on the 6 nations on the FM, now you're listening music from USB. If you press and hold the source selection button you'll be put back to your 6 nations match. Press and hold again and you're back on the USB source.

Same for (BT or SD or CD) << to / from >>(AM or FM or DAB).

As Andyvee wrote, you can also disable AM band with VCDS.

Haha wow I didnt know that. Must give it a try!!

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I’m glad I managed to find this post!!! I was starting to think that my Octavia might be the only one with this issue!!!

So, I’ve switched form a Superb to a Octavia rs. After a couple of days, I immediately found out that the sound system was much worse than the one I had on the Superb.

I went to the dealership to ask if I had some strange configuration and the answers was: this is as good as it gets.

I started my own testing… First using different sources: usb+mp3, cd, sd card, and Bluetooth audio.

They all behaved poorly.

So, I tried with the audio quality of the actual tracks. Some improvement is noticeable but not even close to what I expected.

I’ve also used iTunes to pre amplify some tracks. And it does give out some more sound, but amplifying by software generates some distortion…

I’ve been simply just giving up over time, but as km’s accumulate, I’ve reached the conclusion that the limitation on the sound volume is generated by software.

If you use a track that starts with no lows at all, put the volume at max, wait for the track to get some low tones, and if you listen carefully you’ll hear about 1 second of good volume/quality and immidetally the sound comes down. I’ve tested a lot of times and this happens in fact.

This might happen for two reasons: actual hardware/speakers protection or some stupid regulations regarding sound volume (like iPhone and earbuds have).

As for the hardware protection, I don’t think that this is the case because during that second or 1,5 seconds, that the sound shows what it can do, there is no distortion at all.

Again, I’m glad I’m not the only one noticing this, but I’m not happy that there is no fix around this.

p.s. English is not my native language so sorry for the accent… ;)

I've got the Canton and TBH its still a little bit of a let down. The lows are very good but the punchy mid bass tones tend to overwhelm the system.

There was a post on here a while back where someone replaced the Canton sub with a better dual coil unit.

I love my sound so I'll be looking at the possibility of replacing the sub and / or tapping into the rear outputs and running a low pass filter to another sub in the boot.

• 1 year later...

I've tested a 2013 model octavia with a bolero unit a while ago and I didn't like the sound at all. A couple of months back I have tested a FL 2017 model octavia with the new bolero unit and I must say it sounded much better. Tried USB and BT though.

• 7 months later...

Hi Guys,

I am having exact same observations on Bolero in my Fabia MK3 '15

Certain frequency range is just cut-out to the point that I cannot recognise some tracks... Part of the melody line or even some instruments are gone from known tunes! 

I have heard about fiddling with hex values of configuration registers of the unit via VCDS. Fiddling with some 01,04,05 values from one register (the byte 11 in block 5F.  Default is 01) apparently changes audio modes and zeroing the value makes quality improvement... 

Some options remove Virtual subwoofer and Skoda surround options, allegedly, which may suggest they are DSP modes. 

Russian article below, even when google-translated, does not explain much... although guy claims to have some success with improving sound quality.

https://www.drive2.ru/l/10356586/

Few English articles I have seen mention same change, but provide even less info. 

Has anyone had experience or access to documentation what the mentioned modes are about? 

Edited by MagicMaciek

Not sure if anyone is still following this thread or if it is dead.

Maybe everyone ditched their boleros and replaced them with upgraded models? 

I have found some more explanation re vcds register options I mentioned in my last post on vcds/vw forum  and apparently Byte 5 select Bit 00 – Equalization: Linear

Also,  article mentiones something regardinggmonitoring speakers 

https://www.my-gti.com/1411/volkswagen-rns-510-coding-when-installing-with-a-factory-amplifier

Anyone tried similar on Škoda ?

Edited by MagicMaciek

• 3 weeks later...

Any luck with Loudness options in the 'green menu', Matt? I will try to enable this on mine this weekend. 

Meanwhile, I have attempted to upgrade my Bolero but failed due to either: version of the current firmware being too old (138, upgrading to 252); or some files missing in the 252 upgrade package I found... Here is what I get (attached). 

Maybe I need an intermediate 'jump version' to make a leap to 2.52? 

I also looked into the settings for the radio via VCDS and compared them to one in new Fabia 67 plate, which sounded way better to mine, but had slightly newer model of Bolero as well. 

Settings were exactly the same as mine:

Address 5F: Information Electr. (J794)       Labels:| 3V0-035-MIB-STD2.clb
   Part No SW: 5Q0 035 820     HW: 5Q0 035 820 
   Component: MU-S-D-ER     H11 0138  
   Coding: 03620200BE00000011111204008808002F0100C60120010000

It was the newer hardware, it seemed, though...

update-err.jpg

Edited by MagicMaciek

• 2 months later...

Any news regarding that hidden "green menu" or anything else? I have 2014 vRS with Bolero and have to say the sound presence is quite awful. Often I like to keep the volume pretty low but in that case there is like no bass at all that you can hear. I read somewhere that removing the plastic grilles (cutting with a knife or something lol) from where the front tweeters are would help a bit?

Edited by hypo