Uprated rear anti-roll (sway) bar

To all those who have recommended this as the best single modification one can make to the Octavia then all I can say is: I really do wish I had listened before.

I got the VWR version fitted last week and it is sweet (I chose the mid-setting of the three available). Even on winter tyres, the steering is now entirely positive and quick and the horrible lurch that used to afflict the vehicle on difficult corners, such as reverse camber ones or chicanes, has disappeared completely. I would guess this is particularly useful for my estate which has that extra bit of weight high up at the rear.

• Like 3

This is definitely on my to-do list. I think this and a remap would make a great lightly-modified every-day car. My only two complaints are a slight lack of power at times (VRS CR) and the wallowy, slow to turn in feeling you get. It can also be a bit nervous on long, fast motorway corners. Hopefully this will cure that :)

Thanks for the review! :)

Up rated RARB is one of the best/easiest things to do to improve an Octavia. IMO. 

Re the link, my mtg bolts were fine.  I read somewhere someone using stainless bolts - don't - they are not up to the sort of loading a suspension component can be subjected to. 

A shark remap next, which means you need a brake upgrade if you don't have 312mm already.

A good alignment will be the icing on the cake.  I started having it done because of tyre wear.  But have found the steering is so much better too.  The first time I had it done on my current car, fuel consumption improved about 10mpg on the (computer) - which was worth have and probably paid for itself by now.

I have a Whiteline and it works well but the bushes creak unless they are oiled a few times a year, If I was going to do it again (I may just buy one anyway If I decide to keep the VRS) I would buy an H&R RARB, there bushes are designed so that they dont creak worth the extra IMO!!

How many tuner brands offer this product for the mk2 chassis? Which one has the best price/performance ratio?

I made some notes a couple of yrs ago when i was researching this, not sure if this is 100% correct but it's what i found in my car "archive":

Octy vRS OEM - Front 23mm, Rear 22mm

Eibach (Golf V) - Front 26mm, Rear 23mm

Neuspeed (Golf V) - Front 25mm, Rear 25mm (adjustable)

H & R (Golk V) - Front 28mm, Rear 24mm (adjustable)

APR (Golf V) - Front 27mm, rear 27mm (adjustable; up to 105% increase front, up to 200% increase rear)

Autotech (hollow bar) - rear 25mm.

My Whiteline creaked like a bugger after only a few weeks, the supplied grease was rubbish. Replaced with lithium grease and it's been fine for about 3 years. Funnily enough, it's just started to creak again when going over speed bumps. The cars in today for new pads and discs so getting the bushes sorted at the same time.

• Like 1

Can you replace bushes on a standard RARB?

Yes, but you really need something a bit beefier fitted to the rear, to make a difference.

I have the 25mm Autotech bar that's mentioned in Rob's post above.

why would Factory HIDs affect a RARB? are there sensors or something that would be knocked out of place?

H&R only sells them as kits - front and rear. I believe it has something to do with headlight auto-leveling. However, thicker sway bars only come in one version...

i am toying with the idea of getting this done.

i think my car handles well -  will this really improve the ride / handling?

Also, i have xenons so which RARB that also does not squeak is recommended?

Thanks

RARB do not affect the xenon auto-leveling sensors. 

well....at least that's the case with the whiteline rear swaybar i had installed.

I'd like to fit better RARB but I'm on a very tight budget.

Do you know of any "factory standard" RARB of the VAG group which could do the job? I could try and find a 2nd hand one from a scrappy or buy a new one if it's much cheaper than those 3rd party items.

Not that I've seen. Even S3/R32 owners tend to upgrade the standard items. And those models would be where I'd look, for a better performing standard manufacturer part.

Just had the H&R rear bar fitted to my FL petrol vrs estate. Wow what a difference! Turn in and grip are in a different league, even a bit if lift off oversteer is there on fast RABs should you feel inclined. Makes the whole car feel a bit firmer in the ride quality, but nothing that I can't live with. I can imagine adding the Superpro alk and some lower stiffer springs would make it handle quite nicely. Certainly the RARB has eliminated a lot of the wallowing understeer, I'm hoping the new links and bushes will help reduce some of the steering vagueness and bump steer reaction.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

• Like 1