First Service?

DILLIGAFF

Apologies if this is a current thread elsewhere?

My pride and joy is now due its first service and I have just been quoted £157 by a local stealer erm, dealer.

Sounds pricey ????  :sweat:

£157 to change the oil sounds a bit pricy. I was told the interim owuld be around £99. Glad we got the free servicing, although taking into account the cost for the car on credit (even though it was paid off early) probably is more than three years worth of servicing?

• Like 1

On June 10th last year I had quotes of £107.83 for the first (Oil Change) service, £227.67 for the second (Inspection) service (with £23.29 for a pollen filter and £44.23 for brake shoes, both under a heading entitled Extras) and £169.51 for the third (Oil Change) service but this price included £61.68 for changing the brake fluid.  All prices include VAT but as the pollen filter and brake shoes were just added to the typed, headed-notepaper quote in Biro, I don't know if those prices include fitting or VAT or both.  I expect that these prices have already shot up though because it also stated that the quote was only valid for 30 days.

I've only done 1,450 miles since May 3rd 2013 (when the car was new) so hopefully I won't be needing the new "brake shoes" in just over a year's time.  Are Citigos renowned for wearing out rear brake shoes??  It was just an odd item to see on the estimate.

As Owens says £157 is outrageous for an oil/filter change especially as any competent DIY owner could do this for around £30-£35 using the correct Skoda recommended oil and filter.  Still, that Skoda stamp in the serivce book is important althogh a cheaper, independent garage using the correct service items would be just as valuable in the service book.  However, having said that, the independent garage (most likely) wouldn't be able to do the software modification for the cooling fan that people are having done?

Edited by JimmyR

Without checking the manual I would assume the FIRST 10,000 mile service to be reasonably major. It is of course the first time anyone has had a proper look at since coming off the boat.

I would assume as well that brakes/oil would be without the labour adding?

I dont know ow the warranty stuff works, but is there room for the service being done by a dealer, then any addiotnal work - brakes etc being adviced and done by a private garage? most warranty revolves around the engine, so brake pads wearing out wouldnt be covered by any warranty t&c's anyway??

Yep my first service, well just an oil change really, £99. They did valet it and put the wrong amount air in the tyres so I can't complain. I must be mad paying that but hey ho it's under warranty.

See the previous thread which I detailed the service schedule I got from Skoda

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/286150-citigo-service-schedule/?hl=%2Bservice+%2Bschedule#entry3515590

We have our 1st service booked for next week. My missus did not notice the INSP coming up on the dash for the past few weeks. I will see how much they would have charged.

£99 to change the oil !!???? thats insulting. I assume there are a whole pile of checks that are done as well, and I was shocked to see a 160,000 mile change on the cambelt? I have always changed my cars at 60,000 like it or not.

You do supposedly get "added value" going to the dealer - software updates (if available), plus you generally get a x point check (could be read as "what other work can we offer you").

Supposedly if you run into problems after warranty, it helps with any "goodwill" gesture you might get from Skoda if, for example, you have what would have been a warranty claim previously.  Doesn't alleviate bills, but many cases of assistance - but only if the book is full of dealer stamps.

Strictly speaking, if OEM-spec parts are used for a service, and it's done as per manufacturers guidelines, there should be no reason for a dealer to get out of a warranty claim just because it wasn't serviced by them.  You could go to the likes of Halfords for a £69.99 oil service if you wish...

Glad there is a thread on this. On the proposed PCP deal it is ~£10 a more a month for including servicing. Dealer told me that was ~£60 cheaper over the period than paying for the services individually... does that sound about right?

Based on an annual service, that means you're paying c.£120 per service then?  Sounds about right for the first one; maybe getting the 2nd (and subsequent?) services cheaper.

• Like 1

Mine will also be free. Minor then Major services as per the Skoda Range is on fixed. Also I'm sure Skoda has a fixed rate for service, might be worth checking the website.

When I picked up my wives new Citigo last week, which incidentally has the free 3 year servicing, I was surprised that you no longer get a service book. It is now held digitally by Skoda and you get a printout after each service to keep in a service folder.

"Free service" sounds odd to me. I think it's impossible. How much they give discount for car price if you don't take "free service".  Service costs has to be included car price some how. No one works for free, or least I wouldn't.

:giggle:

When I picked up my wives new Citigo last week, which incidentally has the free 3 year servicing, I was surprised that you no longer get a service book. It is now held digitally by Skoda and you get a printout after each service to keep in a service folder.

Must be a recent change,I took delivery of my Sport last October and got a service book.Wonder if its now redundant?,should imagine all cars will be on the digital system.

"Free service" sounds odd to me. I think it's impossible. How much they give discount for car price if you don't take "free service".  Service costs has to be included car price some how. No one works for free, or least I wouldn't.

:giggle:

Part of the lure to buy on finance used to be free servicing for 3 years but I think this offer has now ceased and been replaced by a different deal.

The ŠKODA Citigo available from £69 a month*

With 0% APR† representative and optional 3 years’ servicing, maintenance and tyres**

You can upgrade to a plan with Servicing which covers all routine servicing, including any engine oils required, as well as a brake fluid change.

yes, the free servicing offer on the 0% Finance offer has now ceased, my dealer told me as such when I collected the Citigo last week. 

you pay up front for these servicing, I gather, so they have cash in the bank, it encourages sales which makes the dealer happy, and as labour rates etc go up you end up a little better off over time, and if there is extra work its "covered" in the risk Skoda HQ take on board.

to the consumer it is a better deal than paying on the nose each year, and the dealer gets a ensured work load (stops people using independants for several years) , so stability, and they get to flog you a new car or extras like tyres, etc.