Jeep Renegade

Royston

I know I'm mad, but I love Jeeps. Ever since owning a 1997 Grand Cherokee, the Tonka Toy qualities have stuck with me.

This looks awesome, and in 'Trailhawk' spec would absolutely chin a Yeti on the rough stuff.

Jeep Renegade

I really like the look of that maybe in the minority I think, plus will probably be pretty good off road. It looks like a Fiat panda 4x4 thats mated with a Jeep lol.

Ugly as it is, it has a very interesting choice of gearboxes & engines,

As to going Offroad, (Before being several years old) there are some that will end up off tar or on tracks,

but how many in the UK will go Offroad other than maybe across a Carpark on Grass or park a caravan onto a pitch.

Some might see a Greenroading trip, which can be interesting, but as we know is a Road.

Does anyone see one of these at a Offroad Playday anytime soon?

http://fourwheeler.com/news/first-look-2015-jeep-renegade-trailhawk

I had a Grand Cherokee from around 97/98!  IT was indeed a Tonka toy. 

We looked at the Panda 4x4 but it felt like a tarted up £7k car.  So this Renegade is based on a £7k car and top spec costs £21k?

They depreciate like a stone and are no longer mechanically reliable.

LOL,

We better wait and see once they sell some if these are mechanically reliable or not,

If it is based on the 500L which start at over £16,000, what is the 500L based on

is it a Panda starting at £7000 ?

No point always harking back to what went before with New vehicles.

Surely all Manufacturers other than VAG try to learn from past failures.

• Like 2

I notice most Jeeps have the word limited on the tailgate. I thought it was a comment on the car's capabilities ;-)

LOL,

We better wait and see once they sell some if these are mechanically reliable or not,

If it is based on the 500L which start at over £16,000, what is the 500L based on

is it a Panda starting at £7000 ?

No point always harking back to what went before with New vehicles.

Surely all Manufacturers other than VAG try to learn from past failures.

The 500L is based on the US GM small platform, not the Panda one which is the Fiat Mini platform.  The 500L was another we briefly looked at but it felt several classes down from the Yeti and was an oddly proportioned beast.  My wife loved the wee 500 but we need 5 doors just now.

I quite like the style of the Grand Cherokee and I've always liked the Wrangler.

But the 1980s interior and £400 tax would put me off.

I did try to convince SWMBO to get a 5.6l V8 HEMI Grand Cherokee for her 2 mile commute.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

They are very Marmite in looks, but they drive nicely and are pretty comfortable.

No Wrangler though in ability, 

& the highest price Renegade are at Cherokee prices, some of which are possibly better value than the some of the AWD Yeti.

Edited by goneoffSKi

• 9 months later...

VM Motori in Italy make a bril diesel which many use inspite of it being a devision of GM Detroit Diesel.......in my Jeep Wrangler (then Mercedes Benz) it was a ripper.

Italians have automated production lines producing good small cars, and even the electrics are probably OK now.

Fiat did a lot of pioneering work with small diesel engines iirc so I wouldn't label their engines as crap. I only owned one Skoda and it's engine broke down when I went to visit a dealer (convenient though). And I for one would love a De Tomaso Pantera :)  (Italian car with an American engine).

Had a VM Motori diesel in my old 2.8CRD Cherokee. The diesel felt very strong but it was louder than an old Transit under load.

Unfortunately the auto gearbox was made of Chocolate, the interior shared parts with Fisher Price Toys and the build quality rivaled British Leyland in the 70's

clipstone-11Large.jpg

At the same time my DAD also had a Jeep Patriot with the VAG 2.0PD engine.

Same interior quality and although the major mechanicals were OK it suffered electrical gremlins.

Snow11.jpg

When I got my Vitara 4x4 I was also looking at the Renegade 4x4 and the Qashqai 4x4. In the end it came down to price and I couldn't justify buying a second car that cost so much  and would only do 10k miles a year t most.

But I did like a lot of things about the Jeep (it looks so much better in the flesh...honest). Not sure about the automatic version though and I have read that the gearbox can be a bit 'busy' as it tries to sort out which is the appropriate gear to use and also all those bloody Easter eggs jobbies would drive me nuts :D

There was a bloke out here who was sooo p...ed off with his new Grand Cherokee and the dealer response to it's innumerable faults, he pulverised it with a sledge hammer and posted it on YouTube.......it must have been bad!

My JK Wrangler was completely fault free and the Merc influence was obvious (compared to the old 'nail') with their (old) 5 speed auto.

But in the end, the bell housing intrusion into the cabin, with nowhere to put a footrest, caused my hip to ache and limit drives to 90 mins but there were seriously interesting wilderness 'tracks' that were checked out making the vehicle memorable for all the RIGHT reasons.)))))

Now, I'm not so sure....

I must admit, I've seen a few of these on the roads and really like the look of them, the Multiair engine is suppose to be pretty good too.

Just between you and me, I think it's been designed as a 'chick magnet'

As in

"She bought a JEEP"?!