Winter tyres off

Every winter tyre thread heads the same way, nothing said or done will change that.

Most winter tyre threads usually go the way of those people who advocate them go on and on about how great they are and how they are a "must have item".

If somebody dares to say "No, I don't" they are branded a driving god or similar.

Then, after a mild winter when the total number of days winter tyres would have made any of my numerous journeys any safer equals zero - they get upset when people point this out.

I don't get into the witner tyre debates very often - as I've made my opinion clear.

But I can safely say that:

Total number of days spent in the morgue:0

Total days spent in hospital after a crash caused by bad weather and summer tyres:0

Total number of incidents during the winter months:0

Total number of times I skidded whilst stopping and thought, just for a second, winter tyres would have been betetr just then:0

Total number of days spent with ym nice shiny alloys in storage and cheap and cheerful steel wheels fitted:0

Total amount of cash spent on said set of steel wheels:0

Total amount spent on winter tyres:0

Total number of days I've considered myself a "driving god", sticking to summer tyres in winter:0

falkens, brand new I wouldn't have bought falkens but came with the car

they were fine at a normal pace but when you started pushing horrendous

they only really seemed to work below 3 degrees

HS449? I have run HS439 for 3 winters without issue, grip wise they have been very good. They aren't the quietest but better than the cheapo Accerla summer tyres. The Nokians on sembo's Leon are very quiet in comparison.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

My Michelin Alpins came off today  30th March

Fitted them October 2012 and did 5K 

Fitted them October 2013 and did another 5K

so thats 10K and the depth is still 7mm on all 4

I get the same moronic sayings fro the sheep at work... " you had this winter tyres on and it never snowed once"

Its a bit like saying "you paid all that money for house insurance and your house never burnt down"

Whilst the winters are on, the summers are not getting worn at all

Just my opinion

• Like 1

honestly id need to look to see what model, I looked at it and seen falkens and went could have been worse, summers nearly here.

the ride was that bad on them when I went on to my summer tyres I looked down at the speedo and was doing 110 and it felt like 70 it was that more civilised

they wobbled like **** as well above 90, braking was rubbish as well

if we have a decent winter, not like the gay one we had this year ill stick them back on but honestly unless you DEPEND on your car for work and live 30 miles away in a rural area they aren't worth the money.

My Michelin Alpins came off today  30th March

Fitted them October 2012 and did 5K 

Fitted them October 2013 and did another 5K

so thats 10K and the depth is still 7mm on all 4

I get the same moronic sayings fro the sheep at work... " you had this winter tyres on and it never snowed once"

Its a bit like saying "you paid all that money for house insurance and your house never burnt down"

Whilst the winters are on, the summers are not getting worn at all

Just my opinion

I get that argument I do

but the amount of money I spend on tyres is ******* unreal

1 car

2 road bikes

and 1 track bike

I must spend 1500 a year on rubber

**** adding winters to it

Edited by moanthebairns

honestly id need to look to see what model, I looked at it and seen falkens and went could have been worse, summers nearly here.

the ride was that bad on them when I went on to my summer tyres I looked down at the speedo and was doing 110 and it felt like 70 it was that more civilised

they wobbled like **** as well above 90, braking was rubbish as well

if we have a decent winter, not like the gay one we had this year ill stick them back on but honestly unless you DEPEND on your car for work and live 30 miles away in a rural area they aren't worth the money.

Something doesn't sound right there, mine have been great, especially braking.

I certainly wouldn't say people had to have winter tyres, until last winter SWMBO could avoid going out if it was icy/snowy etc.  Now she has a job which requires here to make every effort to get to work on time and means she often leaves before 7am and winter tyres became a no brainer at that point.

• Like 1

Am I the only one who thought what a waste of time it was having the winters on!

I don't think I caught any of the white stuff.

Admitedly previous years they have really been put to good use.

I was kind of worried though as the front set were at the 4mm mark where I hear they are not as effective. Is this true ?

Am I the only one who thought what a waste of time it was having the winters on!

I was kind of worried though as the front set were at the 4mm mark where I hear they are not as effective. Is this true ?

Yes, the Nokians have an extra snowflake wear marker at 3 or 4mm.

Hi Trundlenut

What is the purpose of the snowflake marker on the Nokians as I have the WRG2's from several years still on the front.

I remember the treadwear numbers 8 6 and 4 I think, brilliant idea

Gav

Not at all....Temperatures have been consistently below 7C so they are better than your summer tyres ....They are not just for snow
  • Like 2

yes, ****ing pointless.

the temperature is still below 7 where i am and the summers give more grip, better ride and less noise compared to the winters its like a new car

and no horrible thread block movement especially when its around 7 degrees or above

waste of money imo

Hi Trundlenut

What is the purpose of the snowflake marker on the Nokians as I have the WRG2's from several years still on the front.

I remember the treadwear numbers 8 6 and 4 I think, brilliant idea

Gav

When the snowflake disappears they won't be any good in the snow anymore.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Most winter tyre threads usually go the way of those people who advocate them go on and on about how great they are and how they are a "must have item".

If somebody dares to say "No, I don't" they are branded a driving god or similar.

Then, after a mild winter when the total number of days winter tyres would have made any of my numerous journeys any safer equals zero - they get upset when people point this out.

I don't get into the witner tyre debates very often - as I've made my opinion clear.

But I can safely say that:

Total number of days spent in the morgue:0

Total days spent in hospital after a crash caused by bad weather and summer tyres:0

Total number of incidents during the winter months:0

Total number of times I skidded whilst stopping and thought, just for a second, winter tyres would have been betetr just then:0

Total number of days spent with ym nice shiny alloys in storage and cheap and cheerful steel wheels fitted:0

Total amount of cash spent on said set of steel wheels:0

Total amount spent on winter tyres:0

Total number of days I've considered myself a "driving god", sticking to summer tyres in winter:0

Ah, I see, you haven't died or crashed driving during a mild winter on summer tyres, that of course makes winter tyres useless then.

Get it now :giggle:

• Like 2

My first set of winter tyres this year, did two skiing trips on them and many cold mornings here. I will always get winters from now on, the difference is night and day, in the snow they are staggeringly good. Combined with a Scout you can pretty much go anywhere and stop reliably and predictably.

My first set of winter tyres this year, did two skiing trips on them and many cold mornings here. I will always get winters from now on, the difference is night and day, in the snow they are staggeringly good. Combined with a Scout you can pretty much go anywhere and stop reliably and predictably.

Agreed. They are winter (wet weather and less than 7 degrees) tyres. Not snow tyres. They also happen to be excellent on snow & ice when compared to summer rubber.

Why do people not seem to get this? It's not a difficult concept.

Agreed. They are winter (wet weather and less than 7 degrees) tyres. Not snow tyres. They also happen to be excellent on snow & ice when compared to summer rubber.

Why do people not seem to get this? It's not a difficult concept.

Add to that the savings on summer rubber - particularly if you're shodding a vRS. My winter runner has done 5 months x2 and still has 5mm all round.

(4 summer tyres = c. £400 from Black Circles. 4 steel wheels with winter tyres = £460 from Rainworth)

Edited by dunc69

Still got my uniroyal winters on. Since they are almost worn then I'm waiting until the fonts are completely worn. Trouble is, they seem to be made of everlasting compound, I've done about 15k on them, the original contis only managed 12k.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Hi took mine off yesterday its a gamble in the uk the seasons are all over the place.

last year I took them off and had to put em back on a fortnight after. It drives a lot better now they are off glad ive done it.lol famous last words eh

• Like 1

I took off Conti TS850 today, as the law says 15 Nov-15 March winters on.

Got some Fulda SportControl 225/50 R17 98W XL, a copy of the old Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric.

I ran my winters for a week mid-summer (temps up to 35C, mostly dry) while I got the flaking scout wheels blasted, powder-coated and new tyres fitted.

A bit less grip than the (summer performance) rubber that was on it, but noticeable tread-block walk when it starts to drift.  I wasn't able to break them loose at all.  But I haven't been able to make the scout do that with any tyres on.

I took off Conti TS850 today, as the law says 15 Nov-15 March winters on.

Just to clarify: presumably this means that, in your country, you must use winter tyres between 15 Nov and 15 Mar.  But does it also mean that you must not use winter tyres outside that period?

Surely that would lead to a sudden rush and lot of congestion twice per year at all tyre fitting workshops?

Or can you change your tyres any time you like, provided you have winters on before 15 Nov and don't take them off until after 15 Mar?