tyres?

Dunno how you would feel about these? 8a4yve5y.jpg yokohama ad08 amazing tyre :)

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk

Dunno how you would feel about these? 8a4yve5y.jpg yokohama ad08 amazing tyre :)

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk

Should imagine in wet weather these tyres at the centre would fill with water with no-where to go could be lethal with tyre starting to aqua-plane.??

Had 4 proxies on mine, just replaced with a set of Uniroyal rainsport 3s, brilliant tires, cant fault them. Grip in the wet is hugely impressive and they were £225 fitted and balenced so very affordable.

I had rainsport 2s on an old saxo of mine a few years ago and can remember doing a track day at Cadwell in sideways rain, a friend was with me in his with R888s and i could keep up with him.

They went on to do something like 15000miles more which is very good for me.

Really are a tire i rate. 

The proxies didnt last half a long.

In the past Ive had a set of Pzero neros that gripped fantastically, but wore out very quickly. 

There are always SO many tyre threads, in my opinion, what would be useful would be a matrix of current cheapest tyre pricing on some of the obvious ones

FITTED of course, no point having costs X with delivery, then you have to pay £40-50 to have them fitted anyway!

Like 205 45 16, plus 195 45 16 as well as 215 40 17 for me

I'd be interested particularly in the premium energy saves like Conti 3's, or comparable because I'm sure you could save more than the money it costs you to make the difference in price

To start you off

Etyres, as they seem to be a fairly cheap provider

price for 4 fitted

195 45 16

GoodYear EfficientGrip (C rated eff.)

£90.45

Conti Sport Contact 3 (F)

£91.65

Kumho KH31 (E)

£68.05

Avon (C rated)

£82.85

Wonder what Avons are like as they seem comparable on efficiency with Goodyear but a fair bit cheaper too

Can't knock this for a decent price for (fully fitted) Avons either. This would be for my standard 16s, to be honest I prefer the 17 spiders but for going back and forth work the economy is crap, unless I upgrade my 17s to premiums but even then the best you can hope for is about E on the efficiency band

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Four-4x-Avon-ZV5-84V-XL-195-45-16-R16-Set-of-Tyres-/271186830923?pt=UK_Cars_Tyres_RL&fits=Tyre+Width%3A195|Aspect+Ratio%3A45|Diameter%3A16&hash=item3f23fea64b

I have Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta's fitted on all 4 corners of my Astra estate and to be honest can't fault them. Seem to be very hard wearing, rears have done 15,000 miles and still have alot of tread left on them.

111467--full--758.jpg

I would stick away from Kumho tyres, had them on the front of my Astra, they were awful in the wet. OK, it's not got a massive amount of power (140bhp from a 1.8 petrol engine), but it didn't take much for them to spin up on even the slightest bit of damp on the road.

As for Nankang NS2's, I borrowed a set of wheels from a mate as a temporary measure whilst mine were refurbed and they had NS2's on them, the road noise was pretty bad. I've heard other people say the same too! 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

See the Rainsport 3's seem rather highly thought of by most. the tread pattern is alright I guess (this is a key criteria for me) and people say such things like they are 'jaw dropping' in the wet. How are they in the dry? Yes we live in the UK (those who live in the UK that is) so yes its wet lots but on those amazing sunny days I do like to push through those corners and steam out the other side, so how do the Rainsport 3's weigh up?

Also, do they wear well? they are going on the front only at the moment, the rear tyres of okay atm.. as were the fronts 4 months ago :ph34r:

Cheers guys :)

I recently bought these:

vmylqs.jpg

smy175.jpg

I decided to go for these as I've had no problems with the Rainsport 2's.  The pair were £128 delivered from Camskill. Some people complain that Rainsports (old and new) have soft sidewalls, however they do make Xtra load ones, which is I wanted, but at the time of ordering there was no stock. I hope I will like them as much as the old ones.

Hi all,

See the Rainsport 3's seem rather highly thought of by most. the tread pattern is alright I guess (this is a key criteria for me) and people say such things like they are 'jaw dropping' in the wet. How are they in the dry? Yes we live in the UK (those who live in the UK that is) so yes its wet lots but on those amazing sunny days I do like to push through those corners and steam out the other side, so how do the Rainsport 3's weigh up?

Also, do they wear well? they are going on the front only at the moment, the rear tyres of okay atm.. as were the fronts 4 months ago :ph34r:

Cheers guys :)

During the recent dry spell we've had in scotland I don't have any complaints what so ever of the rainsport 3's! Also seem to be quite hard wearing and should last a while, of course just my opinion.

I'm personally tempted by Avons as a temporary option on my 16s to get off my 17s for refurbish as I'm losing some air on some of them.

Interestingly similar on efficiency and wet performance

National Tyres, Avons £275 fully fitted

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271186830923?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Hankook V12 Evo £64 ea (+fitting extra)

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m62b0s344p114986/Hankook_Tyres_Car_Hankook_K110_Ventus_V12_Evo_Hankook_K_110_-_205_45_R16_87W_XL_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_C_Wet_Grip%3A_C_NoiseClass%3A_2_Noise%3A_70dB

Uniroyals £63 ea (+fitting extra)

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m62b0s344p111619/Uniroyal_Tyres_Car_Uniroyal_RainSport3_Uniroyal_Rain_Sport_3_-_205_45_R16_87Y_XL_FR_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_C_Wet_Grip%3A_A_NoiseClass%3A_2_Noise%3A_72dB

Wonder if the extra would make the Uniroyals/Hankooks worth it personally, probably smidgen over £300 all done. I guess the rainsports do as they say on the tin though good in the wet ! £275 all in for Avons is tempting though specially as I don't plan on remaining on the 16s

I think you are right, for the extra sovs, I would say RS3 do seem to make sense.

Just can't make my mind up myself whether to spend out for refitting my currently off 16"  tyres, which are technically still legal but 2 of them are basically near on the limit but I only want enough time to get my 17s sorted out and rerubbered.

...I suppose I could do 2 at a time and chuck a pair on my 16s and roll on them for a bit

I'm tempted by Hankooks for the 215 40 17s as they do efficiency band C tho.....

I'm tempted by Hankooks for the 215 40 17s as they do efficiency band C tho.....

Personally, I'd take that with a pinch of salt. I wonder what pressure they achieve that rating at?

I managed over 70mpg calculated on a return run to Watford and back the other week on efficiency band F tyres. With that rating, I'd be expecting the car to be at full throttle to move anywhere.  :giggle:

Cheers.

Indeed something to be taken with pinch of salt and today I've preordered Uniroyals set of 4 at a tidy price from a local garage,

about the same as having camskill deliver them to a garage or me then pay them to do the job, so makes sense to go down this route. Its less than £380 fully fitted on 4 wheels including balancing. If you look at the Camskill price I think its at least £330 on 215 50 17s, and Asda have the fully fitted price around £430 !

So Hankook, Avon won't be getting a look in. A previous call to QwikSheet tried to interest me in Falkens and I'm sure I heard £90 a tyre however they must not have meant with fitting.  They quoted me something in the region of £500 odd so I don't think I'll be taking that idea up !

• Like 1