key fob programming

Would this work with a used key from a different (same year/type) car? Or an ebay replacement with virgin transponder? I only have 1 key and always fear locking it in the car when I open the boot!! Couldn't see a yes or no on the rosstech page...

you can programme the central locking part of the key with vcds, which you could pick up second hand,

but you'll need to go to main steeler for the top part of the key ie the blade and the transponder .

some independent key places maybe able to cut you a key and programme it, but they would need to have the expensive equipment that skoda/ vw have and not many have this.

i've been there and done it, expensive business it is too

as already mentioned you can program the remote locking part yourself vut not the transponder. Also VCDS won't program a virgin transponder to an 09 Octavia because on newer VAG the transponder has to be precoded with info specific to the immob before it can be coded to the car.

For that you need different equipment which your average DIY car owner isn't going to fork out for. You need either an autolocksmith or Skoda dealers to do it

Mines an 06. Would an Audi dealer ne able to do it? I have a 'friend' that works for the local Audi dealer ...

failing that, the Skoda dealer is 20yrd from where i work :D

If you have a key that is fully functional you can get a key cut and the immobiliser chip copied at Timpsons the key,watch and bag people ,

I have used them loads of times at work with broken keys .

• Like 1

they need a fully programmed key all they do is copy the chip, they have a box of tricks you put the old key in one slot the new one in the other slot and burn the new chip

they use something like this  http://www.auto-diagnostic-equipment.co.uk/home/vehicle-key-tools/zed-bull-vehicle-key-copier-and-programmer

I agree if the key  is lost then you will have to start from scratch and you will have to program via the OBD

here's a tip if you only have one key and cant afford to pay for another one,

open up the key fob and take the transponder chip out, then take the trim off around the steering lock,

tape the transponder chip near to the lock, now you can use any £5 key cut at asda etc

problem is though you've just done away with your immobiliser, but might save you £200 come trade in time.

btw, timpsons only good for healing shoes, and it's debatable whether they can even do that, hahaha

here's a tip if you only have one key and cant afford to pay for another one,

open up the key fob and take the transponder chip out, then take the trim off around the steering lock,

tape the transponder chip near to the lock, now you can use any £5 key cut at asda etc

problem is though you've just done away with your immobiliser, but might save you £200 come trade in time.

btw, timpsons only good for healing shoes, and it's debatable whether they can even do that, hahaha

cobblers :giggle:

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

After replacing a key fob battery, but finding it still did not work (apart from its red light flashing), and having found the handbook for my 2006 Octavia hopeless (press a button for 60 seconds was, I think, the extent of its suggestion) followed instructions on

http://www.programyourkeys.com/Program_Car_Keys_-_Skoda.html 

and somewhat unexpectedly, it worked (less the horn sounding at step 4.)

Apologies if this is already spelt out - I didn't notice it here - so thought worth adding.

• 3 years later...

Car is a 2010 Mk11 Octavia Scout MZ1.

I know this is an old thread, but I want to be sure my particular issue is valid to some of the suggestions in this thread. We lost the last of our 2 keys six or seven years ago and had to do the whole import 2 x keys from Germany (to Australia) and pay to have the car towed to a dealership and then be recoded to the new keys. Six weeks without a car, an x-rayed dog!! and countless hours searching for it ... AUD$1000 exercise in pain.

Lo and behold, today that last key reappeared - like Lazarus, risen from the rotting innards of an old armchair destined for the tip!! It had gone way down below the linings into the spring and stuffing cavity of the chair. The battery is even still good ... red light comes on when lock/unlock are pushed.

My question is, while the key blade obviously works and can open the driver's door, can I safely use the recoding techniques found on YouTube to reprogram that old key to the coding of the new keys (the dealership reset the CPU in the car to match the new keys)? One vid shows putting a key that had a flat battery in the ignition, turning to 'on' and then pressing the 'lock' button to reprogram that key to the car.

I'll happily try it but don't want to compromise a perfectly functioning system. We still have the two new keys, but one does go missing a tad too often and I stress big-time when we only have one key and no spare. Seems like a no-brainer to reintegrate the long, lost prodigal key back into the Scout family ;-) . But if it came to paying another $150 to have the dealer do it I probably won't bother. Any advice most welcome.

I believe that the dealer procedure is to delete the RFID data of the lost key(s) from the instrument cluster, if thats the case you might be able to get the key to operate the central locking but it wouldn't start the car.

One way to find out, as Harry Callaghan said "do you feel lucky?"

If the dealer have done their job properly, niether the remote unlock/lock or the immoboliser sections of the key will currently work.

Adding the remote unlock/lock part is an easy task with VCDS or similar, you'll need all three keys present though.

As for the immoboliser part, you'll need to find a decent auto-locksmith or dealer to re-enable it.

Thanks for the replies. I'll throw it over to my independent VAG guy and see what he says. I'm sure I can find a locksmith who could do it. Definitely not worth a 'do I feel lucky' job, wioth two perfectly fine keys in hand - there are bound to be only five blank slots in that .44 magnum! 😉